Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF meter upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010 | 05:23 AM
bmstraight081
Track Day

Default MAF meter upgrade???

Hey everyone,

I'm new and just bought a 87 951. I have been reading threads and they have been a wealth of information. However, I have a question about MAF systems. My car is completly stock and well the obvious thing to do for my is an intake system. I know that the AFM is fairly restrictive and the MAF is just an all out better system. What would be the best for the money type. As well, I am curious to know if there is any DME or KLR mods that need to be made to run one, this even with some research I haven't found. Also, is there a DIY type way of doing it. I did one on a Nissan Altima some time ago and was able to upgrade the MAF on it with a Cobra Mustang MAF to give it a larger sizing. Is there any such beast out there. Thanks

Brandon
Old 10-15-2010 | 01:14 PM
SteveIX51
Advanced

I am curious to know if there is any DME or KLR mods that need to be made to run one
There MIGHT be some home-rig modding out there somewhere, but the simply answer is that you will need an entirely new DME chip to run a MAF. Your stock chip is only setup to interpret the AFM signals from the stock meter, and wouldn't know what to do with signals from a MAF. (The stock chip is also programmed for and limited by the accuracy of the stock meter, so simply mapping voltage signals isn't going to get you much better performance.) You will need a chip that is made for the particular MAF you choose, so your best bet is to buy them together, and they are often sold this way. The stock KLR will still work fine, assuming no other changes are made.

As far as brand, others can chime in that, all I can say is that I have the Vitesse setup and it works great. The "best for the money type" is up for debate.

Quick Reply: MAF meter upgrade???