Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Keys locked in car!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Excelerate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Keys locked in car!

I was giving one of my brothers a jump start this morning, when I heard the driver's side door click shut Hood was open so I pulled the fuel pump fuse to at least shut the car off, but I'm now stuck in the middle of our house's parking lot with my keys still in the ignition. This thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-car-help.html

mentioned a "double secret" way to open the door. If anyone can PM or post it here, I would greatly appreciate it.

Already tried:
1. Coat Hanger
2. Sunroof
3. pulling relays and fuses to cycle the locks (aftermarket power system I believe, it locks when keys go to the on position and there's no factory lock button in the car)

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help, this is just the cherry on top of the excrement sandwich that has been this week.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have heard removing the rear side windows was the best. do a search
Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

search for threads about locking keys in car, one should mention something about take license plate lights out and access hatch lock latch thingy. might give that a read/try.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Excelerate
Instructor

Thanks!

EDIT: no go, looks like the screws are in there too good and started to strip when I was getting at them. Since my spare keys are only a few days away by mail I suppose I can dolly the car back to its spot and wait it out. Tranny is in neutral but the handbrake is on
Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dillon410021
I have heard removing the rear side windows was the best. do a search

After having to replace the sunroof in mine (PO decided to break into car through it and siliconed it back into place) I would recommend the rear window trick. Rear windows are a dime a dozen, so IF you muck it up and break it min cost factor. Never tried the LP light thing, sounds like it may be interesting but a PITA to me.

my .02 worth

michael
Old 10-05-2010, 02:36 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a trick you could U-Tube where you use a tennis ball with a hole in it..

basically you put the hole against the key opening, and hit the ball hard. This forces air in the lock tumbler and pops the lock... I have Not tried this, might work though...

just search "Unlock car with tennis ball"
Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Call a tow truck/locksmith. One slimjim and bob's your uncle.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Excelerate
Instructor

Does anyone know how to remove the rear windows from the outside? I've done it from inside before to put in new rear speakers, but I don't see how to get a grip around the back of the window to push it out from the outside.

Slim jim is gonna be my last resort, cops up here will do it for free since there's nothing better for them to do out in the boonies. Your tax dollars hard at work!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Is the bonnet still open?

Fuse box is above the dash on the right side on a uk car. Which is passengers side over here, but I'm sure it's same location. U could remove and try hook something though that way. If ur arm won't reach around. ??? Only other thing is 2 remove the blower in the centre.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:05 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Double check your insurance. We have Geico, which offers road side services, kinda like AAA, including sending a locksmith for lockouts.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also: When you finally get in the car... You should remove the power locks...

It is almost impossible to lock your keys in the car with manual locks; because you have to lock the Driverside Door from the outside.. -with the key-

and no... I do not believe you can remove the rear window from the outside. well not it one piece...
Old 10-05-2010, 04:05 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aj986s
Double check your insurance. We have Geico, which offers road side services, kinda like AAA, including sending a locksmith for lockouts.
Good point. Alot of folks pay for that every month and never realize it.

Also....when you do get it open.....I always have a spare key made and hide it in one of those magnetic boxes somewhere on the outside of the car.

Flashback four months ago (true story) I am in Iraq and my magic jack phone rings. My teenage son has locked his keys inside the Mustang I had purchased him while I was home on leave in February. I tell him to walk to the right front bumber....feel around find the box I told you about when we got the car son...now take your spare key out of it and unlock your car. I was super dad from the other side of the planet.

michael
Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't get it the first read thru. Is it a late or early car? early car has the ***** on top of the door lock. Take a pice of plastic webbing - the kind found around a shipping crate or box. fold it in half at it's mid point and insert the folded end between the door and seal at the back of the door. You should be able to slide it and by pushing on one or the other loose ends in your hand, form a loop around the lock ****. Yank it when you get it hooked.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Does anyone know how to remove the rear windows from the outside? I've done it from inside before to put in new rear speakers, but I don't see how to get a grip around the back of the window to push it out from the outside.

Slim jim is gonna be my last resort, cops up here will do it for free since there's nothing better for them to do out in the boonies. Your tax dollars hard at work!
A large blade screw driver wedged in between the body and the upper window rubber will pop the window out. I can get a window out in 15secs or less. (I have some parts cars and a lot of free time.)
Old 10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AAA

Quick Reply: HELP! Keys locked in car!