Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

muffler replacement suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 05:20 PM
Andrew Spence
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow muffler replacement suggestions?

hi all!
Old 04-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Andrew Spence
Instructor

whoa! jumped the gun there.

anyways, looking to replace my muffler (tip rusted off long ago, held up with hanging iron now--i know, i know--RICE!).

not looking to go crazy, but a nice stainless one with stock characteristics would be fine. i know 944 Ecology has mufflers with rewelded tips for a bargain of $300. that would work, but i thought if for not too much more i could get a third party stainless muffler, it would be worth it.

also, anyone have comments on the Lindsay Racing vacuum line kit? looks nice, and while the car idles perfect, it's rough and lacks power until warmed up in cold weather (temp sensors are ok). the fuel pressure jumps around (~ 2 psi) a bit too, and removing the dampener connection makes no difference at idle, so i'm assuming that connection is bad.

cheers!
spence
Old 04-29-2003, 07:10 PM
p0wp0w
Pro

I'm sure a lot of people would recommend Speed Force Racing's exhaust setup.

3" piping with a 4" tip, if you get the oval version it is very stock looking except its shiny!

I have one sitting in my room right now begging to be put on, its just that I need the car first So I don't know how it sounds but from everyone that posts about it, I don't think I will be dissapointed. Build quality and welding is top knotch, a little pricey though for $599 but well worth it (hah I say that even before I put the thing on). Do a search for past topics if you don't believe me.

<a href="http://www.speedforceracing.com" target="_blank">www.speedforceracing.com</a>
Old 04-30-2003, 02:44 AM
ringo951
Burning Brakes

I saw some stainless cat back exhausts on ebay for $300. Don't know about quality, but they looked to be good.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:27 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Speed Force Racing - well made and beautiful looking
Old 04-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andrew,

I have a B&B on my car and to be quite honest, it wasn't worth the money. Go to the summit racing web site and purchace a 3" Borla XR-1 muffler and have it welded on somewhere for $40. You can reuse the stock tip or purchase another one from virtually any muffler shop for $50. The XR-1 is one of the best on the market and I doubt that many or any of the tuners' systems can beat the quality or flow characteristics. Unless of couse your attached to having a complete 3" cat back system (which does very little unless you are 3" from the turbo back)then I'd suggest picking up the speed force racing kit for about $600.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:49 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andrew, out of curiosity where in upstate New York are you?
Old 04-30-2003, 04:46 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the same boat. I dropped the catback- had it welded back on in Hershey- and a little paste patch on the muffler now, but now I'm looking for a reasonable replacement from the headers back. Cost IS an issue, and the cat must stay.
any suggestions? I'm not really looking for louder, but a deeper rumble would be nice.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:55 PM
PaulK
Instructor

I had a custom catback put on by Mufflex in NJ, near Trenton, for about $900. Used a Magnaflow, a Fabspeed tip, with a "cone insert" to lower the tone and keep the rice noise to a minimum. I HIGHLY recommend this one. I live in MD and it was worth the drive.

<a href="http://www.mufflex-performance.com/" target="_blank">http://www.mufflex-performance.com/</a>
Old 04-30-2003, 09:16 PM
Puch1313
Instructor

I would advise that you do somthing about your cat..there are many different ways to go a bout this. now, for the muffler...Get a decent one. you can go OEM, or get a "rice" from summit, or go redneck and get a Cherry Bomb from meijers. I welded on some Monza Pacesetter tips to my muffler, right at the base, no one can tell it isnt supposed to be like that. the tip splits into 2 slightly larger pipes, with resonators in them, so the sound is really nice. i have pics if you are interested. it is hard to explain.....looks almost EXACTLY like the Bursche setup....
Old 05-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Vaino
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile

I have a "new" factory muffler. It was purchased a few months ago, installed on a friends 944T, briefly which was promptly totalled . It is the real factory muffler, complete with the factory part number stamped on it, and it is heavily built. It is still shiny new. I'll sell it to you for $250. List is over $600 from the dealer or parts house. ($592.00 at Pelican Parts). I took it as a spare.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:57 PM
Andrew Spence
Instructor

thanks for all the input, everyone!

thx for the offer vaino but i think if i'm going to replace it, i might as well go stainless. still, depending on my budget i may get back to you to see if you've gotten rid of it at somepoint this summer.

i think i'll save up some dough and go for the SFR cat back with oval tip. i loved the factory sound (4-6k rpm sounds like nothin else), i'm assuming the sound level and tone are similar to factory, and the stainless will be nice. those four bolts aren't coming off easily (15 salt ridden Ithaca winters), so i'll either take a Sawsall to them, borrow a cutting torch, or have the local wrench cut em off and replace em with stainless bolts (got em in the glovebox) when i get it inspected. sound reasonable?

david i'm up in Ithaca--grad student at Cornell--hence i make no money and since paying someone to do my clutch (bwahahahaha whups) i've been trying to do everything (bar timing belts) myself, and so far so good, the car runs great and i haven't made anything worse!

where are you?

thanks again all!
-spence
Old 05-01-2003, 06:18 PM
osu944
Instructor

the turbo's exhaust is stainless. it just isn't all shiny.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Andrew Spence
Instructor

hmm, somewhere i thought i heard that the turbo's exhaust was all stainless except for the tip... i mean, the winters are harsh, but should it have rusted through if it's stainless? does salt (or the mild hydrochloric acid that forms with water and salt) eat at stainless?

Puch1313, what should i do about my cat? er, take it out, or get a new one?

cheers!
-spence
Old 05-02-2003, 10:18 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a little farther north. I am all the way up in Watertown. Love the looks I get from the locals!

Quick Reply: muffler replacement suggestions?