Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

working on '86na Air Conditioner compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 08:53 PM
jordanolder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post working on '86na Air Conditioner compressor

The hanes manual say I have to take my care to an special mechanic to have the air conditioning de-compressed BEFORE working on it.

Anyone know if I can remove the compressor (discharge) at home, then put a new on on, then have it charged at home?

I'd rather not pay for something I can do myself.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:36 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Unless you have a vacuum pump AND a method of retrieving the R12 that is still in your system, the answer is NO. The system can be retrofitted to R134a in most instances, with acceptable results. It is illegal to vent R12 into the atmosphere, and the system must be vacuumed out to a near hard vacuum in order to introduce the new oil, sealant and refrigerant. The only thing you will do by trying it at home without the proper equipment is destroy the system.

Once retrofitted, R134a is a hekuva lot cheaper than R12. Have it done once, and have it done right.

Look up Interdynamics website. They sell the kit. All you will have to do is get the old stuff legally vacuumed out. The rest you can do yourself, but I don't recommend it.

Good luck

Bob S.

Bob S.
Old 03-16-2002, 11:07 PM
jordanolder
Instructor

how much am I looking to pay for this?

who can do this type of work?
Old 03-17-2002, 12:01 AM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Any A/C shop can do the work; get some quotes. Of course, if there are toasted parts or leaking hoses, the ante goes up. I would think a couple of hundred should cover it completely. That's what I used to charge give or take.
Old 03-17-2002, 03:03 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If just to evacuate the refrigerant, I recently had mine done for $30. They should be paying you for the reclamation of useable R12... but such is life.

Had it done at a general repair shop... it seems nearly everyone has these discharge systems.

Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2002, 04:55 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

What I have done in the past(before it was politacally incorrect and what I would still do today) was to either slowly loosen an A/C line and release the pressure or release the pressure via the add valve(looks like a valve stem) and repair the system. BUT!! before I would refill I MUST have the system evacuated or the A?C would not work well at low R.P.M.(legal disclaimer)this is how it used to be before the treehuggers took-over...Just how we did it in the Good Old Days-Let your consience be your guide
Old 03-17-2002, 10:46 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A number of people who inhale a good whiff of the 'old' refrigerant suffer immediate heart failure. Another good reason to have it evacuated properly.

Thaddeus
Old 03-17-2002, 11:02 PM
jordanolder
Instructor

Thanks guys...

I wonder if I could just remove it somehow since I never use it.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:28 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Jordan;

You can, but two things...The A/C compressor is the adjustable item and removing it will require the fabrication or purchase of an idler assembly. I do not know how available these are or what the cost is..Anybody? It might be more expensive than getting the system fixed in the first palce. Second, the cars came with A/C as standard equipment. If you go to sell the car, it may reduce the price (no big deal I suppose). It all depends on the area of the country. Here in AZ, don't even try to sell a car without it....

I will look around for idler assemblies. If I find anything out, I will post it.

Bob S.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:27 PM
bs
Pro

i have heard people on here talking about an "ac delete kit"... so pelican or paragon or someone must sell it.

as far as venting your ac system to the atmosphere... i will not make any comments as to crystal sucking tree hugging hippies since all 10 of my 1 star rating votes were given to me last time the r12/r134a issue was discussed. i just want to point out that when you vent your ac system, you aren't just wasting several hundred dollars worth of r12, you are also letting atmoshphereic air *into* your system... the moisture in said air can easily saturate the dessicant in the receiver dryer. best case that means it can no longer dry your refridgerant and things will start to corrode. worst case i've heard that the dessicant pack can burst, letting chunks of stuff out into your ac system, clogging nozzles and ruining compressors.

when you go to a real shop they take the refridgerant out under vacuum so no evil wet air gets in. i suppose if you are planning to open the system up that's all a moot point though...
Old 03-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Tabor
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by triscadek:
<strong>What I have done in the past(before it was politacally incorrect and what I would still do today) was to either slowly loosen an A/C line and release the pressure or release the pressure via the add valve(looks like a valve stem) and repair the system.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hate hippies as much as the next guy, but I would rather deal with hippies than cancer. I have seen my father have to have chunks of skin cancer removed from his face.

Quick Reply: working on '86na Air Conditioner compressor