Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Issues...Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 09:49 PM
btimes4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch Issues...Need Help!

Ok guys, I need some serious tech help. My wife was driving our 951 yesterday and noticed the clutch was not allowing he to disengage the gears on the way home. This morning she got in to drive and the clutch went all the way to the florr and stayed. I went out and played with it a bit and can now move it back into place but when you push it in it goes to the floor and I have to stick my foot behind it to move it back into position. I had the entire clutch replaced 2 years ago and it is generally not driven hard. I cannot imagine it being out again already. Besides I paid about $2K to get it done last time and do not have the money to get it all done again. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

defneetly shouldn't be the clutch if its new like that. these things have clutch issues when the rubber ones sit for a long time without being driven for a long time and the rubber gets weak and whatnot....anyway

put the car on ramps or jacks and check your slave cylinder, it should be beside the starter in the bellhousing. See if anything leaked out of the car and also check your brake/clutch fluid res. i would guess that it would be the master or slave cylinder, or maybe even a busted line, but i dont know much so you should prolly wait for a 2nd opinion.
Old 11-06-2002, 10:16 PM
nh3
Instructor

I'll second that Andre. Also check for brake fluid around the drivers side floorboard, up where the clutch master cylinder attatches to the pedal. If you find one or the other leaking do yourself a favor and change both.

nh3
Old 11-07-2002, 04:47 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, dont worry. It's a hydraulic issue, a pain to fix but cheap and un-invasive compared to needing a new clutch.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:50 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Top up the fluid resevoir and bleed or have someone who knows how bleed the system, then assess if it was just low fluid or need for new components (slave and master cyl.). Most informed opinion-offerers recommend replacing both at the same time.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:37 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

If your brake fluid resovoir gets to low it can draw air into the master cyl. The condition you are describing sounds like a leak, low fluid or a bad master or slave cyl. You have to remove the starter motor to get to the slave cyl. Be sure to unhook your battery before removing your starter motor. You don't want those hot wires touching with you laying under the car I have just replaced my master/slaves cyl's. I got them from Paragon for about $100 for both of them. At the P-Deal they were over $100 each!

Definately check the fluid resovoir first...
Old 11-07-2002, 11:39 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ever notice that these things happen in groups? There are around seven or eight different people on this list with the same problem right now (including me). I had the same symptoms. I was driving and the clutch pedal stayed down. I checked the resevoir and topped up the fluid. The next day I had a big brake fluid puddle under the car. I'm changing my clutch master & slave this weekend. I got my parts from Paragon (everyones prices are about the same, I just like Paragon's customer service). From what I've been told, get a Motive power bleeder ($45 at Paragon), it'll make the bleeding alot easier.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

I'll second the power bleeder. A friend I bled mine in less than 10 minutes. Also great for flushing and bleeding the brakes.

I know you can do the job without the bleeder, but is much more of a pain and it is very difficult to get all the air out the first time.

Your sanity and time are worth the $45 and you will be able to reuse the bleeder every time you bleed the brakes.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:21 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Pete -

Did you get the bleeder yet? If not, you can borrow mine.

Let me know.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:34 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the offer, Brian. My package from Paragon arrived a couple days ago. The bleeder is smaller than I thought it'd be. I also got some speed bleeders for the brake calipers. You know the story--- While you're in there you might as well...

OT-Was that Condit guy on McConnells show today for real?
Old 11-15-2002, 11:06 PM
btimes4
Intermediate

Guy I finally had a chance to look at the clutch and it doe seem to have a leak into the footwell. You can see the fluid gathering around the entrance and it stained the floor mats when it was filled. Looks like I will be ordering the slave and the master. Calling Paragon in the AM. May need more input when I start taking it apart.

Quick Reply: Clutch Issues...Need Help!