Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much is it worth????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 10:31 AM
BartW
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KBB bases their values off of auction results and registration records, unfortunately once a car is this old most people try to cheat sales tax by writing up smaller amounts for the cars on title work, as far as auction results, not too many 44s that I have seen run through the major auctions, see a few 968s and they go for aboiut half of what you guys think is a fair price for them
Old 11-07-2002, 11:01 AM
kennyandersen
Instructor

That is because a car at auction is not what most people here are looking for. Why is the car at auction -- usualy no mainteance history, ragged out, major maintenance issues etc. I wouldn't give that much for an auction car either -- this is an apples and oranges comparison.

KBB sucks for porche values and I'd go so far as to say that if you can get a well documented great condition 944/951/968 for the KBB amount -- buy it! Don't worry, unless you find an unknowlegable widow -- it ain't gonna happen.

I think the Porsche values are also a little low unless you live on one of the coasts (especially west!) -- there were just so many more cars sold there.

So did anyone figure out what year the car really was? or wether the engine had been transplanted?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

OMG! I put a 88 turbo with one thousand miles on the clock with premium everything and in excellent condition, Guess how much?

6000 bucks!!

WHAT???

It should be around 20k!
Old 11-07-2002, 11:36 AM
Tabor
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by kennyandersen:
<strong>That is because a car at auction is not what most people here are looking for. Why is the car at auction -- usualy no mainteance history, ragged out, major maintenance issues etc. I wouldn't give that much for an auction car either -- this is an apples and oranges comparison.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cars go to auction when car dealers do not sell them in a timely manner. They DO NOT have to be in bad shape to go to auction, however they won't have maintainance history.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:56 PM
BartW
Racer

often they are just trade ins that they gave people next to nothing for and do not want to mess with them. I worked for a dealer and bought and sold many cars at major auctions like Manheim, sometimes, especially with an uncommon vehicle, you just unload them instead of sitting on it till the right buyer comes and when that buyer shows up and you do not know much about the car it is not such a good thing either, so unless you specialize in that car or are willing to sit on it to make the huge profit, you just off it for whatever the minimum you need for it is.

Quick Reply: how much is it worth????