Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS or oil pan gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010 | 04:27 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Default RMS or oil pan gasket?

I've got a bad oil leak on my car, and it's a strange one. It seems to leak as much or more sitting as it does driving. (first pic is after ONE WEEK, only drove it to work twice) The oil is coming from right at the rear seal area, but the flywheel is darn near dry, which makes me think it "could" be the oil pan gasket in that area. It seems to leak faster when at Full level. The whole OPG is pookied with white sealant, amateur replacement or attempt to seal a leaker. Since it leaks just sitting there, the OPG at the RMS area would seem to be lower and closer to normal oil level. I can't see how the oil would get to the seal when it isn't running?

Questions:
1. Would the flywheel be so clean if it were the RMS? I'm used to seeing a really wet surface when the RMS is bad. The starter and areas behind the engine are not really soaked, but are damp with oil.

2. Where does normal oil level land on the pan? Is any of the gasket surface under oil when at rest?

3. If all you want to do is replace the OPG, can you drop the pan enough without dropping the crossmember to do the job? Almost appears so, although it would not be as easy.

I'm about to embark on a 3,000 mile trip with the car, and would like to resolve this before.
Attached Images    
Old 09-06-2010 | 05:10 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

This looks like the rear main seal to me.

In my experience, when the OPG leaks it does so progressively and at first only drips after the car has been run hard.

And yes, the crossmember needs to come off the car to replace the OPG.

The fact that the leak is ONLY coming from the general vicinity of the rear main seal I think is a good indication of a worn RMS being the source.

Moreover, in nearly 220K miles my old 83 never had an oil leak like what you're experiencing. It was on its original OPG but the RMS had been replaced with each of its 3 clutch jobs.
Old 09-06-2010 | 05:25 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Thanks Luis, I tend to agree, but I don't see how this much oil could come from the RMS while it's sitting? Unless the system is draining down thru the bearing?
Old 09-06-2010 | 05:37 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

It's a tough call. Both rank on the nasty side as far as repairs go. My 944 had a similar issue and I went the RMS route. It was dry like the Sahara. The oil pan is equally nasty and the best way is to fab a brace across the strut towers and hold the motor up. Drop the cross member, not too big a deal. Be very careful putting OP gasket on and read up on the methods.
If I had to do it again I'd go the pan gasket first.
Old 09-06-2010 | 07:57 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Well, I think I answered my own question. I had moved it up to my garage, about 30 yards or so, shut it off and put it up on stands. While I was posting, it pee'd out about an oz of oil, then stopped completely. That sounds like the oil in the cavity behind the RMS draining...

I think I'll just take it on the trip as-is, and after that I'll do the clutch, OPG, motor mounts, vac hoses..... you know...
Old 09-06-2010 | 11:15 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Cool

Sorry to hear ,if it's the RMS leaking that much & I beleive it is since it did happen to me a few years back,I would not take the car on a 3,ooo miles trip unless you fixe it first.Mine was leaking less then yours & even that that will take ½ a quart of oil driving at 60 to 70 MPH for 3 or 4 hrs ,so beware on a long trip,if you decide to still go ahead & take the trip before you fix it,make sure to bring a couple of quarts with you & check the oil on every refill.What your finding on your garage floor is just a small amount of what the car is loosing .Good luck
Old 09-07-2010 | 12:01 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

I understand your concern. I've done several trips of 200 miles each, of mostly freeway driving at 75 and it seems to use much less oil than stop/start local driving. It will bear close watching for sure! Actually I ran the numbers and it appears to be nearly the same cost to fly...
Old 09-07-2010 | 04:04 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

From: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Since you ran the numbers, I think I would fly out and not have to worry/stress out about the car breaking down someplace and be at the mercy of some shop to fix your car with a bill for mega bucks.

Cheers,
Larry

Quick Reply: RMS or oil pan gasket?