Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight saved from removal of spare tire, jack, tools?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Whatever you do for weight reduction (or race prep), it's a good idea to make it reversible unless you're really turning it into a dedicated, off-the-streets, race car. As much as we may value our "upgrades" there's a much wider market to sell a 944 that is largely stock and unmolested.
sadly, in terms of resale value, there would be more money to be had in a totaling accident than trying to sell it outright...
Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my .02, but the only weight i'd get rid of is this:

-Battery: go to a lightweight battery, save 40# up high on the car
-Upper rear seat back, save 40# and the back seat is worthless anyways. Keep the bottom, it will keep the noise out, and it weighs nothing anyways.
-Racing seats (if you have electric stock seats) will save you another 40#

Other than that, i'd keep the rest--you will miss it!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ajjra
I don't have a scale. Anyone happen to know? I'm also thinking of deleting the cruise control. Any idea what that would save me in weight?

150hp, every little bit counts ;-). I should diet...

your car is likely 2800lb? (if a late car anyway). And had 150hp. So, you are looking at 18.6 lb/hp. So.. roughly, you'd have to "drop" 19lbs to "gain" 1hp. Drop 100 lbs and you "gain" 5 hp. in fact, given the cars age, your best bet would be sure you still have all 150hp to begin with

Unless you are going racing, imho, it is a bit of a fools gold to start ditching stuff from your car. To make any noticable gains, you'd have to pull out 100-200lbs. That's a lot imho. And dropping 200lbs gets you to 17.3lb/hp - Just enough to still not keep up with a Civic SI

I would encourage you to learn more skills as a driver, especially since those translate to ANY car you drive, than to worry about shedding a few lbs to go faster.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh... there is a ton of weight savings in various places. Amazing how it adds up, and how much you can find when looking for a pound here and there in a race car. This past winter I deleted the heater core and the blower motor crap and despite adding a built-in fire system, my car is almost 45 lbs lighter than last year. I had already deleted the ductwork and engine bay AC stuff long ago.

Everything weighs something, it all depends on how hard core you are vs how much luxury you want to keep. SCCA ITS weight is 2575, and depending on prep that can get below that by a bit, especially with early cars.

If I ever build another race car again, before I do anything else the tub is getting acid dipped. There must be at least 30 lbs of body schutz on the chassis alone.

To the OP... if you don't intend to use the space saver or spare, ditch it. I agree it is at the wrong end in general but less weight is better.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:23 PM
moorepower
Pro

The 944 spare weighs 33 1/2 lbs.

Replace with Boxster spare. Weighs 22 lbs. and doesn't need a compressor to inflate.

There, I just saved 11 1/2 lbs, plus the weight of the compressor. That's gotta be worth like 0.98hp, right?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Gages 944
Instructor

Is there really anything involved with removing the sapre tire bin. I thought about doing it since I can weld and know how to use a grinder.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

This thread is starting to remind me of the conversations i had in jr high and high school. the only difference i then we were taling about 60s chevys.

my 7 year old daughter can use a grinder.

as i grow older i ask myself did i grow wiser, or am i simply absorbing what is around me. when i was younger i had an understanding, or was it a tolerance for the typical hack job. now if i go to a car show and i see a shade tree hack job, or work done for the sake of nothingness i smile, and treat myself to an ice cream and look at the next hack job. all the time knowing that unlike a fool and his money, a hack and his job will never part.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gages 944
Is there really anything involved with removing the sapre tire bin. I thought about doing it since I can weld and know how to use a grinder.
I've heard that people will do this to simplify working on the transmission. I suppose it removes some weight and may even improve aerodynamics. But what would you do about a spare tire?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Been there, done that. 15 years ago. With my 280Z. I shaved 300lbs. The car got quicker, better handling, better braking, and made the car into a weekendish short drive/track car. Then I stopped driving it to work, the grocery store, out on the town with the wife, vacations etc. I then built a turbo motor with double the HP, and I no longer cared about the weight. Just turn up the boost until it is fast enough. I then proceded over the next 10 years (and ultimately failed) to make the car more comfortable and wife friendly. So I bought a 944 cab with air con, power steering, and comfortable seats with NO harnesses or rollcage. Problem solved!

Good luck and have fun with what ever you do to the car!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Another solution: have more than one
  • I use the 941 and the SH4RK for PCA social events because they look good and my wife enjoys riding in them with me.
  • I'm prepping the 931 Euro / Club Sport to learn how to drive.
  • I'm building the UWB to be the all out track monster.
These cars are so cheap, why not?

Back on topic:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this permutation, but a good approach is to remove the spare and jack as mentioned, and then relocate the battery from the tray area to the RHS cubby, and replace with a lighter weight version. You'll lose 40#-50#, and what you don't lose, you'll relocate to a better spot in the car.

Try not to think about things in a binary manner (i.e., weight in or out), but rather, as a complete system (i.e., lightening and redistributing the overall package).
Old 09-08-2010, 11:52 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
Been there, done that. 15 years ago. With my 280Z. I shaved 300lbs. The car got quicker, better handling, better braking, and made the car into a weekendish short drive/track car. Then I stopped driving it to work, the grocery store, out on the town with the wife, vacations etc. I then built a turbo motor with double the HP, and I no longer cared about the weight. Just turn up the boost until it is fast enough. I then proceded over the next 10 years (and ultimately failed) to make the car more comfortable and wife friendly. So I bought a 944 cab with air con, power steering, and comfortable seats with NO harnesses or rollcage. Problem solved!

Good luck and have fun with what ever you do to the car!
i dont know what suspension your cab has but even on a smooth road i can knock fillings loose. a "wife car" it is not
Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

my weight redistribution;

me going on diet: ~ 15 pounds...

electric front and rear seat delete ~ combined, weighed 1/2 ton
heavy stock exhaust ~ 3/4 ton
jack (gone) ~ 8 pounds ?
air compressor 5 pounds
floor mats ~ 2 maybe 300 pounds.
oxidized, crass, cookie-cutters ~ average weight for crappy Porsche wheels.
crappy stock steering wheel ~ dumped a few pounds\
batwing.... flew off car at 161 mph.......

added, jestimating:

2 amps, ~ 18 pounds
slightly larger speakers ~ 2.5 pounds added weight ?
subwoofer and cabinet ~ 22 pounds
mdf deck lid over rear passenger side seat well for placement of subwoofer amp ~ 3 pounds ?
added luxury, leather sparcos ~ 37 pounds each ??
rear seat delete carpet ~ 4 pounds
ultra-lightweight exhaust ~ 29 pounds
heavier wide, alloy wheels and bigger tires ~ 36 pounds
very heavy front 928 gts rotors ~ 18 pounds
heavy front 928 gts calipers ~ 22 pounds
insulation in doors, rear sils and soon to be more added in the back ~ 15 pounds
Carrera GT steering wheel ~ added a couple pounds back, maybe saved ~ 1 pound...

supercharger and plumbing ~ ???
996 front valence mated to reduced, existing setup/ add epoxies/larger bellypan ~ ???
M030 sway bar..........

possible future weight reductions ?

1. diet/lose 10 more pounds and look better for wifey.
2. headlight delete to 993-hid lights
3. GT Racing fenders (add another 2 layers of 4 oz. glass)
4. GT Racing hood (add about 4 more layers of 4 oz. glass)
5. change to boxster spare tire.

do i really want to do any of #s 3, 4 ?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
my weight redistribution;

me going on diet: ~ 15 pounds...

electric front and rear seat delete ~ combined, weighed 1/2 ton
heavy stock exhaust ~ 3/4 ton
jack (gone) ~ 8 pounds ?
air compressor 5 pounds
floor mats ~ 2 maybe 300 pounds.
oxidized, crass, cookie-cutters ~ average weight for crappy Porsche wheels.
crappy stock steering wheel ~ dumped a few pounds
you by far have the lightest car, from these alone youve dropped over 2500lbs!

how the hell are floormats 2 or 300 lbs? did your car have ceramic tile instead of carpet?

having replaced the carpet and insulation in my car id be surprised if the whole deal weighed more than 100lbs for the full car
Old 09-08-2010, 12:15 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

where can i weigh my car and get a good number ?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
where can i weigh my car and get a good number ?
recycling yards have scales to weigh incoming trucks, sometimes you can just drive on and drive off, thats how i did it and they are fairly accurate (they have to be for moneys sake)

Quick Reply: Weight saved from removal of spare tire, jack, tools?