Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a quick word about SEM dyes.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:42 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts
Default a quick word about SEM dyes.....

i imagine there's a few guys who've had good experiences using SEM and duplicolor spray dyes

to refresh interior pieces or change the colors out... a very nice guy on the forum here was looking

to pick up some SEM dye (an absolutely fabulous product) to use on his leather seats....

thought i'd post my thoughts about using SEM on leather to save people from harming their seats.....

i have used SEM to change the color of the front section of my interior from grey to black and got a great result....

love the SEM products.

your seats—NOOOOOO.... SEM SPRAY DYES ARE NOT FOR YOUR LEATHER SEATS !! CAN'T DO IT....

your seats were colored through a special tanning and dye process by artists using trillion dollar equipment.

SEM dye is not going to help at all. SEM dyes do not penetrate the leather surface to form microscopic beads that strech with the substrate....

what SEM WILL DO, is form a shell and crack from the motion and stretching of the leather....

in other words, YOU'LL DESTROY THE SURFACE OF YOUR LEATHER WITH THAT STUFF.

if you ever hear of anyone talking about using a vinyl or carpet spray die from SEM or Dupli-color on leather,

please use all of your powers of pursuasion to stop them from doing that -- thanks for reading...

/

Last edited by odurandina; 09-04-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to redye your leather seats the proper way go to the link below. Complete instructions are given.

http://www.leatherique.com

Cheers,
Larry
Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

And CLICK HERE to take a look at my seat re-dye project thread.

While I agree that Leatherique works great, I also have used the SEM dye on the rear seat of my son's BMW and it worked fine. It's all in the prep, I followed the same process as detailed above to prepare the seat to receive the dye and it has held up fine.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to sand the leather won't that make it more prone to tearing or ripping?
Old 09-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Chuck 951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Not use Leatherique

Beware Leatherique --- is crap and they do not stand behind there product.

WARNING.......

Chuck 951
Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 209 Posts

+1 on SEM, I used black on top of light blue leather S4 seats, all properly prepped, about 6 months ago.

Haven't even sat in them yet and its coming off.

Search the entire forum for some better seat dying procedures and products than those mentioned above.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:51 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I used SEM on my door panels with great success and have used Leatherique on my old BMW. It made a huge difference.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:40 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck 951

WARNING.......

Chuck 951
You are one of two out of HUNDREDS that I have heard this from...including my own personal experiences. At least give a reason before you slander a company.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:42 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
And CLICK HERE to take a look at my seat re-dye project thread.

While I agree that Leatherique works great, I also have used the SEM dye on the rear seat of my son's BMW and it worked fine. It's all in the prep, I followed the same process as detailed above to prepare the seat to receive the dye and it has held up fine.

HOLY ****T GREG !!! amazing !!!

as i have mentioned, when i bought my car the interior was all grey... it didn't go with my new black on charcoal sparcos, and i wanted something that would also match my new black, carbon wheel... the top of my dash and door sils were burnt pretty bad, with these nasty, charcoal and purple colors....

the front is now SEM (my 911/996 airbag was also grey like the rest of my interior).

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ml#post7545052

the SEM product is very good... still trying to find this great "how to" video i had a few months back.... anyway, i sanded the dash with 40 grit and filled in the cracks with black devcon epoxy.... next sanding with 100, 150 etc and finishing with SEM after a good prep.

don't use the SEM vinyl dye on leather seats... it's for your vinyl and plastic, but, it might be ok for static leather pieces on airbags and doors. as i mentioned, my airbag is leather and the SEM was perfect for changing it to black.

i believe that refreshing leather seats should be left to the professionals....

however, for small touch up, my weapon of choice might not be for everyone, but you can try it on an inconspicuous part of your seats, even to change the color !!...... i've used it successfully to completely refresh other black leather seats that are now in one of my 2 Ford Escapes. (my sparcos don't need anything done yet)...

just cut that baby in half with a hacksaw and pry out your 2 applicators, after donning rubber gloves.

place one side in tinfoil and seal with some good tape.

glide the other applicator over your leather while (very gently) squeezing until the proper amount of color is applied.

let dry overnight.... then massage with a good leather conditioner/moisturizer from ace hardware.

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 09-04-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck 951

WARNING.......

Chuck 951
Here's your chance to do a little networking and maybe get some clarification on instructions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...yes-or-no.html

Quick Reply: a quick word about SEM dyes.....