Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: street combo; de-stroked LS7 388 c.i. vs LS3 376 c.i.; which would you run ?
LS3 376 c.i. (Crate Engine Depot); $7,300 (see top of page 4)...
60.00%
LS7 block w/ ls3 crank @ 388 c.i., LS3 heads/intake LS7 cam; $9,900.
40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LS1 swap/parts/LSD transmissions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the hard ps line came in from DC Automotive in Rocky Mount on Mon....

Angelo got some heat on it and gave it a much better bend. the part clears the pan nicely now.

ps and hydroboost brake pressure all good. next; upgrading the pump to the 044 unit.

no timetable for that, but i'll try to do it within the next few weeks.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:05 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Well, since the install of the line, she's as tight as a drum.

i'm still totally addicted to this car. I drive her into Boston almost daily.

this car has proven itself in spades over the last 380 days/29 k miles.

but, you know those donuts they do at the end of the Nascar races.

well, i procrastinated, but i'm thinking i need to be doing that kind of stuff sometimes just to be extra deplorable and obnoxious.

it's setting right here on my desk; the '044' fuel pump from German Autoparts, Clifton Park, NY/$193.00

i'm wondering if i need to go to a higher capacity filter or change my pressure regulator.

any ideas?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:27 PM
James G.
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Newton NH (other side of Amesbury) with an LS2 968. Are we neighbors?
Old 11-04-2016, 11:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

i'm about 3.5 miles north of Foxboro stadium on the Charles.

the guy who built that car is a pro.

it's like getting the East Coast equivalent of a Vision Motorsports or Tony G built car.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

182mph. she was still pulling.....

ran out of straight.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:42 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Was the car still planted at that speed?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:00 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Very much so....

i've experienced it before at 164mph with the old inline 4 running straight pipe on the 25.6" Dunlops.

This time running Pilot Super Sport 255-35-18 F and Continental Sportcontact-3 285-35-18 R.

smooth as silk. but the front spoiler was bent, almost touching the ground at the rear of the splitter. .

it was so cold, i guess it kind of aided in changing it's shape.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:14 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RajDatta
https://www.pca.org/news/2017-07-11/...-buy-right-now

Originally Posted by PCA magazine
1992-95 968 — The 968 was the final development of the very successful 924/944 platform. It introduced such features as a six-speed manual transmission, an available Tiptronic, shiftable automatic gearbox, VarioCam variable valve timing, and some styling updates. With a healthy 236 horsepower and a superbly balanced chassis, the 968, along with the 928 GTS, were the final expressions of Porsche’s transaxle architecture and the last front-engined vehicles they’d produce until the Cayenne. The 968 is also quite scarce. US deliveries exceeded 1,500 for just one model year. Higher mileage coupes and cabriolets are still available in the teens. Don’t say we didn’t give you a heads up.

Not sure what that highlighted statement meant but if it means higher values, we will take it.

Most of us knew all along what a great value the 968 is. Looks like the secret is out. Watch the prices start to fly and good cars become harder to find.

Seen this with other models before. Hopefully, most 968 owners will not start wrapping them in plastic and putting them away for fear of depreciation.

Just when I was getting ready to post the red coupe for sale
huge reason the 968s are workable; is because the Motronic's are 10,000 X better than their previous generations. the 800 pound elephant in the room for 944 owners is the formidable challenge running the near totally-fried 1980s computers presents. (how would you feel about sending an F-22 up into battle with an '80s laptop to run the weapons, guidance and flight controls)?

the 968s as collectable $$$ cars. hit or miss. they're fun kit cars for any and all forms of preserving... or tuning all the way up to expensive turbo conversions or dropping in well-built v8s. BUT, YOU DO IT FOR THE SINGLE PURPOSE OF DRIVING IT!! .....going past the extremely costly 968 Turbo, V8's are a viable option worth a serious look. the v8's bring an enormous amount of stability and workability to the platform, and truly unleash the performance and latent potential built into these cars–all at a relatively, reasonable cost.

if i'm honest, the key in this endeavor is to acquire an inexpensive engine from a totaled car, and direct the lion's share of the funding on the precise details of the engine swap and transmission upgrades. failure to build the car correctly will render a poor result, a car that you will dislike, won't drive, and a car you will eventually depart from–with a lot of money wasted.

in the end; there's death, taxes, the Crimson Tide – and a v8 944 or 968 running the interstate.... ....leaving not so much as a drop of liquid on the floor when she gets home from Topanga Canyon, the Rockies, the Grand Tetons or wherever.

in the pleasant, warmer months, it's a great choice for daily driving or a long drive....

you can drive it insanely fast–very far–with almost no limits.

carry on.

Last edited by odurandina; 07-15-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:09 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

update; 94.8mph in top gear at 2700 rpm. gee, i wonder if i should have gone for an ultra-economy .560 instead of a .600 top gearset.

from the Ferrari of Italy really are a bunch of assdouches thread from RLOT....

Originally Posted by David993S
Hey Gretch, I hate to be contrary to you once again , but here's my experience as a nearly 40 year PCA member and nearly 30 year FCA member:

At every Ferrari Club event in which I've participated, and in each FCA Region in which I've been a member I've rarely found individuals to be anything other than nice, welcoming, genuine, accepting people. By "accepting" I mean the owner of an Enzo is just as friendly as the owner of a 308, and I don't see the Enzo owner looking down on the 308 owner (unlike some folks in PCA). Of course there is always an exception, but by far the Ferrari Club members I've know (and it's hundreds) rarely put on "airs", or act elite and aloof. Maybe it's because most have made it in life and have nothing to prove. Granted, my interactions with Ferrari owners is almost exclusively through FCA, but I can honestly recall only meeting one "insufferable douche". I have met far more Porsche owners who projected the attitude of "I'm better than you" based on the car they owned.
not surprised to hear this at all. but, i often find owners of P-cars to be very nice too. some are aloof. well, that's because Porsche's are go-to rides for very-busy people who might not be playing social (or gregarious) car enthusiast at a particular moment.

on my trip out to Chicago 2 weeks ago, i drove by a cars and coffee in progress in Toledo, Ohio on US rt20. i love getting off the interstate sometimes.... the place was packed with all sorts of hot rods, Vette's, euro stuff and ricer cars. ...everyone from every walk of car life was awesome, and super stoked to see a newcomer and learn about the 968 Sledgehammer going on another transcon drive (what does this make, 6?).

Holy God; 6 transcon trips (LA/Boston) with the v8 *ok, i'm still in Chicago, but i'm driving to LA next week. ....add (i think) 3 trips from Boston to Chicago and back, and 7 trips to Phoenix and back from LA... doesn't leave a drop of anything in the driveway. just the normal 7-8k miles between oil changes. yes Jeff, Raj, Lart and friends; this is turning out to be a solid GT car.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:08 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Well the car is insane, driven it about 3 k miles here around California in the last 2 months!
however, this week i had to limp her into a shop to troubleshoot a sudden intermittent no-start (at Del Taco).....
luckily it happened only a few hundred feet from 'Tony' at Park's Body Shop off Beach Blvd in Stanton, just a bit north of Huntington Beach
NO TOW TRUCK.... was able to jog the engine and limp in!
got help from LART and son's (we weren't able to catch the dme acting up but)..... it would ultimately be proven bad in any case..
CONFIRMED; one fried h.o. 044 pump and drove the car for a day.....
then the dme relay CONFIRMED going spazzy in hot stop and go (we jumped it and THAT worked),
then it was ok once cooled down for an hour or.....
Q; which one contributed to the other's demise? probably the pump going bad messed up the (24 y.o./238 k mile) dme relay?

looking to pick up a solid state dme relay ASAP

does anyone have the guy's number for those units?

btw, a few killer upgrades (to be posted soon)!

Last edited by odurandina; 10-05-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Dan Shea
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ftech9.com LMK if he's sold out, I bought one a few months ago then jumped to stand-alone and I'm pretty sure we wired around the dme relay so I don't need it.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:26 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

^^thanks. he's not sold out.

unfortunately, he doesn't do phone orders (apparently).......

Originally Posted by odurandina
Well the car is insane, driven it about 3 k miles here around California in the last 2 months!
however, this week i had to limp her into a shop to troubleshoot a sudden intermittent no-start (at Del Taco).....
luckily it happened only a few hundred feet from 'Tony' at Park's Body Shop off Beach Blvd in Stanton, just a bit north of Huntington Beach
NO TOW TRUCK.... was able to jog the engine and limp in!
got help from LART and son's (we weren't able to catch the dme acting up but)..... it would ultimately be proven bad in any case..
CONFIRMED; one fried h.o. 044 pump and drove the car for a day.....
then the dme relay CONFIRMED going spazzy in hot stop and go (we jumped it and THAT worked),
then it was ok once cooled down for an hour or.....
Q; which one contributed to the other's demise? probably the pump going bad messed up the (24 y.o./238 k mile) dme relay?

looking to pick up a solid state dme relay ASAP

does anyone have the guy's number for those units?

btw, a few killer upgrades (to be posted soon)!

Last edited by odurandina; 10-05-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

how much is too much to spend on interior + stereo upgrades?

i could state the number but would they believe it?

coulda had a hybrid F-car.

(next project).
Old 10-13-2017, 03:01 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
So, is anyone ready for pictures?

Let's just say that it's now my turn to be punished by this car.
wow.... i forgot all about this day.... 38k miles back.

oh, and just to keep you all in the loop, the unveiling of a few interior upgrades draweth near...

think you're gonna like what you see.

/
Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2017, 03:19 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

it's time to re-introduce my 944/968/928 GT style instrument cluster....

nope, it wasn't forgotten but with my purchase of my v8 Jaguar XF, this upgrade got postponed.

it started when I began attempting to set up an attractive cluster to go with the 200mph 4" Porsche/VDO-style GPS speedo...

i thought of hybridizing it to a 997/997 dash but i decided to stay "all 968,"

and ended up here.

Porsche was lazy for years (right up to the 928GTS)...

I mean, they're PORSCHE for Christ's sakes...

in a 20 year span, they built about, 270,000 front-engine/2-door/rear-hatch cars...

some of which are still on the roads, and go fast.

9 functions + no more messing with old, speedo/odometer gears or built in false speed defect.

/
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 10-21-2017 at 05:37 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1 swap/parts/LSD transmissions...