Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: street combo; de-stroked LS7 388 c.i. vs LS3 376 c.i.; which would you run ?
LS3 376 c.i. (Crate Engine Depot); $7,300 (see top of page 4)...
60.00%
LS7 block w/ ls3 crank @ 388 c.i., LS3 heads/intake LS7 cam; $9,900.
40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LS1 swap/parts/LSD transmissions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 02:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Part 1

here it is.....

the car left California after about 2500 miles of normal driving, spirited driving, omfg driving and trying to garner attention from semi-interested 458's and other exotics on Coast Highway...... all occurring with virtually no issues whatsoever except for:

1. got no heat (the fan works normally). well, it was mostly between 90F and 108F 99% of the time...

it was the hottest September in all of recorded history in the southwest.

didn't need heat. sort of procrastinated on getting serious about the issue.

Eric built some kinda-weird vacuum valve gizmo, and split the hoses.

despite engaging the valve manually, and holding it down with duct tape, still, no heat.

2. no hyperturbo defrost fan function....

this would be the switch directly below the rear window defrost.

it's got to be the most bizarre crazy defrost device ever built in a car.

it's like they were preparing for driving in Oymyakon, Siberia by God.

hit the switch.... and nothing.

3. AC.... incomplete, freon not yet in.

4. minor bucking when you let off the gas between gear changes (in the low gears),

....by the time i reached the Pocono's in eastern Pennsylvania there was an occassional less than perfect transition from throttle to coasting on the downgrades in top gear. not quite a backfire... but seemingly not as smooth as you'd have with a production Vette.

the result would be, you'd be less desiring of coming off the gas.

of course, the 968 engine did exactly the same thing.... it's just that "it" came in the form of that really cool cook-cook-cook-cook-cook-cook-cook-cook-cook-cook cutout that you get with straight pipe systems.

that's about it, save for possibly getting an alignment at some point, a couple of minor body maintenance items to sort, improving the interior and a few other odds and ends....

in concert, Eric and Doug's efforts had this car fairly ready for my assault into the Rockies....

i like to place a couple of thin memory foam pillows under the rump and up the backing of the seat for maximum comfort

on long trips.... overall, the car, made one damn comfortable long distance ride.

all was all totally awesomeness until i got to Wyoming and decided to join the 170mph club.....
Old 10-14-2015, 02:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by morghen
I did a weekend drive in my 1.1bar boosted & intercooled 2L turbo, it was clearly not a 6000 mile trip but it was about 4-5 hours driving. I didnt drive it like i stole it as i love this car, but i did give it the beans and keep it between 100mph and 125mph for a good two hours.
Overall i got 25.6 mpg(us).

sounds like a very nicely sorted car.

when i used to drive the 968 really fast for extended periods with the 3.0,

my fuel mileage droped down to like, 23mpg.

Part 2

i'll post shortly.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:07 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you had engine problems but it seems you're just having some confort issues actually.
Like the guy before said, it will take some time to get all things how you want...and the V8 sound is a great thing to have.
Good luck !
Old 10-15-2015, 01:22 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

The bucking you're talking about is a tuning issue. Based on your description it sounds like whoever tuned it needed to add more fuel in the lower load areas at those RPMs, or or spend more time with the accel/decel enrichment/enleanment, however it's implemented in the GM ECU.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:04 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Did you ever install the higher flow fuel pump and get the motor retuned?

I wouldn't be driving the car with any kind of aggression until that's been done
Old 10-26-2015, 04:42 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

work Monday in Chicago....

Cannonball Run to LA.

work Wednesday in the City of Angels.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:23 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Dang...and here I am just North of Chicago (Mettawa area). Have dinner plans with a co-worker (who knows nothing about Porsches).....*sigh*

Perhaps another time.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:36 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

i saw some $48 dollar flights to LA

*(arrived in Los Angeles a couple hours ago. full of Assadena tacos and out of the shower).

ok,

it's been a busy couple of weeks.....

Originally Posted by docwyte
Did you ever install the higher flow fuel pump and get the motor retuned?

I wouldn't be driving the car with any kind of aggression until...
no pump yet, no hard driving. but the car has had a perfect tune since dyno day.

only something weird happened yesterday at 11:00am a bit north of Chicago that caused the latest long distance drive to go perfectly.

Originally Posted by morghen
I thought you had engine problems but it seems you're just having some confort issues actually.
Like the guy before said, it will take some time to get all things how you want...and the V8 sound is a great thing to have.....
boy am i dumb.... i'm so extra dumb this time you're not gonna believe it.

one little thing Eric forgot to do. yep, ADD ONE MORE to the list.

he built me one INSANELY FAST AND DEPENDABLE CAR then forgot a couple-a-ten things.

Dallas Engine Tuner Guy failed to notice it.

I should have thought of it.

Doug had the car for like 3 months and HE never noticed it.

then i was looking right at it 20 times and didn't notice it.

Dyno man guy didn't notice it.... and he mapped the damn engine!!!

Originally Posted by odurandina
4. minor bucking when you let off the gas between gear changes (in the low gears),

....by the time i reached the Pocono's in eastern Pennsylvania there was an occassional less than perfect transition from throttle to coasting on the downgrades in top gear. not quite a backfire... but seemingly not as smooth as you'd have with a production Vette.

the result would be, you'd be less desiring of coming off the gas.

of course, the 968 engine did exactly the same thing.... it's just that "it" came in the form of that really cool cook-cook-cook-cook-cook-cook-cook-cook-cook-cook cutout that you get with straight pipe systems.
stick a fork in this one. (once again) the tune was perfect after all.

well, at least after 1200 rpm.

Originally Posted by odonnell
The bucking you're talking about is a tuning issue. Based on your description it sounds like whoever tuned it needed to add more fuel in the lower load areas at those RPMs...
100% correct. the first part at least.... the end part of what you said i left out cuz i don't know...

in any case, 20 minutes at the shop yesterday solved 90% of this issue.

so..........

i'm driving from Massachusetts to Chicago a couple of weeks ago,

and i'm on US 20 from Toledo to South Bend for a change of pace off the interstate across the Amish country of north Indiana.....

all is going great and now i get to this T in the road where i'm sPosed to turn left and get back on to I-80.

only i forget and miss the turn.

no worries, i'll just pull in to this driveway here and.......

and bottom out the exhaust slightly.

luckily, didn't seem too bad at the time. and all is ok.

5 minutes later i go to accelerate up a hill in 4th (just before i'm gonna hop on the interstate) and i've got very little power.

jeez this thing is running like crap.... kinda loud all of a sudden.

i go another half mile and it stalls at the traffic light.

it starts but now i pull into a gas station and it sounds like the engine is on it's last legs.

wtf??

no power whatsoever. very loud and horrid.

huger and huger exhaust leak down there somewhere.

ummm this isn't good.

i got like a 120 miles to go and i got to check into my hotel and.... then be at work in the morning.

so i drive it and it gets slightly better but still loud.

now when i got this thing from Eric, i thought it would be way quieter than it turned out to be.

but it was, if i'm honest, kinda loud. i was somewhat surprised.

as time when on it seemed like it got just a little louder.

well. i was too busy to take it to the shop until yesterday mornnn.

and

it turns out that Eric forgot to bolt the headers to the y-pipe.

7 thousand miles with just the pipes inserted but not bolted together.

pipes gradually worked themselves out.

and the reason for the not so great tune after so much driving.

just a plain ol' exhaust leak.

now, it runs amazing. sounds amazing.

just amazing. quiet. real quiet.

holy sh_t this car is quiet. til you step on it. then it finally gets loud (i guess)

but just normal driving. quiet.

easy driving is maybe like an oem 5.3 liter in an SUV you just drove off the lot.

God what a joy this thing is.

it just slammed down 2100 miles effortlessly.

engine felt like it was gliding on a cloud.

it IS gliding on a cloud.

how can a pushrod v8 sound this amazing?

I-40 is as smooth as glass most of the way from Oky City to Barstow, so i really got the full effect.

this is the sound i was hoping for.

now to figure out the heat/defrost.

Last edited by odurandina; 10-28-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:52 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Um, the tune isn't perfect. He wasn't able to map it all the way out to redline because you didn't have enough fuel.

I wouldn't be driving the car at all until a proper fuel pump is installed and it was back on the dyno for a complete tune to redline...
Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Maybe you should drive it to Houston so I can tune it
Old 10-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't burn up your motor, get a pump and tune.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:26 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

will do.

Originally Posted by docwyte
Um, the tune isn't perfect. He wasn't able to map it all the way out to redline because you didn't have enough fuel.

I wouldn't be driving the car at all until a proper fuel pump is installed and it was back on the dyno for a complete tune to redline...
Old 12-06-2015, 01:21 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

"the key in that case - is to just go faster...."

sounds like a car i know.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:37 PM
Arahant
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds/looks like your car is really coming along.

I'm wondering whats going on with the whole speedo/gauge set. I'm thinking of buying gauges real soon, I remembered that you were working on something awhile back and figured I check to see. I'm currently looking at some individual gauges from speedhut, GPS speedometer/odometer... maby a nice tachometer... aswell as some gauges from innovatemotorsports for boost aswell as AFR... and then putting it all into a race gauge pod from broadfoot racing.

But its going to be a pretty penny for everything, and looks like what you have been working on would work better for most of it.

Just curious!(although I'd be for sure in group buy if its planned for the near future) thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 08:21 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

thanks. yes, the car is running absolutely fantasttic....

i bought 20 ounces of gold at the end of July. at that time, Doug and i were doing a lot of stuff with the car ($$$)

haven't had a bunch of money to play with since, as i'd not worked much in Aug-Dec....

but mid-late January is looking good to get the cluster done (or at least a good part of it).

Originally Posted by odonnell
Maybe you should drive it to Houston so I can tune it
the tune is perfect. i had the bolts come loose at the junction of the headers and y pipe.

that was the out-of-tune issue which was resolved in 20 minutes back in late october.

all the car needs at the moment a couple of little things. then i'll go back and repair a few blemishes on the nose.

having 5 1/2" clearance up front the nose front lip takes a bit of a beating. but i love having it so low.

Quick Reply: LS1 swap/parts/LSD transmissions...