Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rewiring my 944?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 01:11 AM
Js944
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rewiring my 944?

Hello folks,

I am here for the first time..did notice that my car is not unique in the electrical sense. It seems to be possessed, it fixes itself. But the windows did not. I did have them fixed once.

For the record here is how the windows were "fixed" previously:

A wire was run from the access point between the driver's side door hinges and connected directly to the fusebox, (bypassing the fuse).

Here is the result:

Windows worked for a while. Then the wire grounded itself to the door, caught on fire, fried the fusebox, wires, carpet and other things normally found under the dash.

Question then is how to rewire the switch correctly (or as originally wired, anyway). I know the problem is between the fuse and the door hinge, but it seems the wire needs to go back inside with the others. So...

1)Does anyone know of an efficient way to get to the wires under there? Or a safe alternate route?

2)Any idea on where to find a wiring diagram for the power windows?

Any tips will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Julie G
1983 944S
Old 11-05-2002, 01:21 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Ran a wire?

Boy friend or husband?

Anyway your best solution is to find a wrecked 83 or 84 or early 85 and scavenge the parts you need from it including the wire harnesses for the doors and the switches for the windows.

Most likely the switches just needed cleaning or replaced and the connections on the window motors needed cleaning.

Other wise you need to get the factory wiring diagrams for the 83. Stay away from the Haynes manual's diagrams as I've found big mistakes in them.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:23 AM
944Play
Pro

[quote]Originally posted by Js944:
<strong>2)Any idea on where to find a wiring diagram for the power windows?
</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you don't already have one, the Haynes manual has decent electrical diagrams. It's available at your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store).
Old 11-05-2002, 09:06 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it is too much trouble finding a new harness you can always follow the harness back until you find the original wire(s) that were used by the switches and then splice some new wires in at that point. and run those back into the door.

With any luck you will find the original wires you need already in the door wiring harness.

IF you do need to pull the harness then :

I did pull the wiring harness out of the doors at one stage when I removed the doors and it is a pain to manoeuvre the plugs and so on through the small holes at the leading edge of the door ( I am sure Porsche spent at least $500,000 in designing it to be so difficult as you couldn't make it so difficult without special effort).

Anyway, it can be done and I would advise you to wear mechanics gloves as you can otherwise expect a few nicks/cuts/scrapes in the process. Once the harness is free of the door it quite easy to pass it back through the door frame and you can remove the small footwell panels to gain further access to the loom if needs be.

TIP - if you are trying to pull the harness & plugs through the small holes in the doors it can help a lot if you wrap the plugs and loose bits in electrical tape so they dont have so many edges to catch on things. I also taped smaller bundles of wire together.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Js944
3rd Gear

Cool

Thanks very much for the input guys...

Also for the record I have both the Haynes and factory manual and do not find reference to wiring for power windows in either.

Thanks again. And yes it was the (former) boy friend.

J
1983944S
Old 11-05-2002, 08:19 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They're in there Julie...At least my manuals show the wiring diagrams for every stinkin wire in the car...

One question...You have an '83 944S???
Old 11-05-2002, 09:04 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Check for the 84 window wire diagram. It's in the PDF's I have. Same as the 83. The power relay for the windows is under the dash by the instruments on the right side. Why it was put there is any one's guess.

Ex-boyfriend...apparently not soon enough.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:00 PM
squzzy
Advanced

hey socal, could i please get get those wiring diagrams? that would help my next project out a lot.

thanks
brian
Old 11-05-2002, 10:17 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by squzzy:
<strong>hey socal, could i please get get those wiring diagrams? that would help my next project out a lot.

thanks
brian</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here you go!

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/electrical/944_electrical_diagrams.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/electrical/944_electrical_diagrams.htm</a>
Old 11-06-2002, 12:45 AM
Js944
3rd Gear

Thanks for the relay info. Got the correct diagram from your link at pelicanparts. Set!

Julie G

Quick Reply: Rewiring my 944?