Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Liter turbo FS

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 04:17 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robby

My email has been doing some funky things as a result of a hack. Should be fine now.

I inherited the engine in the car when I bought it 10 months ago. I understand that Garrity beleives 104MM is as large as one should go for some reason I have not confirmed, but assume because of the cyl wall flex at the headgasket junction. This is what has been discussed on the list as the true reason shops o-ring the head, to pin the gasket against the cyl top to minimize shearing movement due to flex. This is still somewhat speculative and J Anderson beleives flex is a non issue. It really depends on who you listed to I guess.
I have heard Garrity is tough to get a hold of. He doesnt answer my emails and I have one of his engines. . .

He does amazing work, that I can attest to. I have a redone head from him on a seperate car I bought a few months back and it is very thoughrough in it's preperation. My engine runs well. I have 13K on the engine since built and I lost a headgasket at 10K due to low grade fuel and improper mixture up high. I have since solved that problem. Engine does loose oil out the tailpipe at the rate of 1 qt/ 500 miles and smokes on statup, more so when sitting for say 2 days. I am not sure how much oil loss can be attributed to the turbo, but I know Garrett's smoke more than the KKK variety. The compression #'s seem a bit low for a 13K engine to me.

I do intend to put a big-valved head that I now have on it this winter and I will do rod bearings at the same time. I will check rings and cyl walls at that time. If they are at all bad, I just hone w/ a drill and put new rings in and I'm done. That is one part about owning a sleaved engine that I just love
Old 10-02-2002, 09:22 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for all of the replys! I am trying to respond to everyone who is interested in the car.

Regards,
Andy
Old 10-02-2002, 02:02 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
I have been looking for an 80% lockup clutch type LSD. Is this what you have? Where can I get one? Thanks!!
Old 10-02-2002, 02:04 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Also,

Where did you get that chin spoiler? How do you like the lexan windows and the 968 adj wing? Fit and finish comments as well. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 3 Liter turbo FS