Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front balance seal wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front balance seal wisdom

about to rip in and replace my front balance shaft seals on my 87 924S - auto tensioner

looking for any wisdom

also happy to remove and reinstall timing belt, had one almost die from a bolt that backed out and put this one on, but its been whiny for probably 300 miles. i hear thats normal, but to me sound = friction, so i am into seeing if that sound goes away if i double check to see if anything is touching.

i have the parts i think. water pump is still only 15k old. so i think its just those seals.

if anyone has any tips or wisdom to share, i would be more grateful

thanks!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The timing cam belt should not "whine". What you have read is the "balance belt' will "whine" when adjusted too tight. Arnnworx has a sound video in his belt change DIY --projects--near the bottom of page. If you have this sound, the balance belt is too tight. www.arnnworx.com

Since you did not mention what tension guage you use, I will guess you use the 924S auto tensioner.
I hope you have another method to test the tension, the auto tensioner is sloppy at best.

Read also the arnworx information on front seals. He does not change the cam gear seal if not leaking--way too much work. YOU MUST replace the cam gear bolt. It cannot be retorqued! The new bolt has a triple square head.

When I am satisfied with my cam belt tension, I double check with the "Water Pump Pully Test". This is not your prime tension test, just a backup. Use at your own risk and skill level.
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2010, 11:05 PM
jcslocum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the seals leaking??? Or are you thinking they are part of the whine problem.

They are very easy to replace once it's all apart.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a difference between the upper and lower shaft seals. They "turn" different directions.

Quick Reply: front balance seal wisdom