Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers wont park ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 10:08 AM
cweatherington
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wipers wont park ?

One last problem, minor but annoying. The wipers wont park, they just stop wherever you turn them off at. I've replaced the wiper relays and tried 3 different motors. I'm down to replacing the switch itself now but not sure that would do it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-11-2002, 12:39 PM
KWB_S2
Intermediate

Do they stop at the same spot every time or is it a different spot based on where they are when you turn the switch off?

If it is the same spot every time you probably need to adjust the whole mechanism where it attaches to the motor. It could be off a couple of splines.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:53 PM
cweatherington
Intermediate

They just stop where ever they are at the time I turn them off. Its not the same point everytime.
Old 03-11-2002, 02:03 PM
sd01
Intermediate

Angry

I have that problem too...plus only fast speed works, no slow or intermittent...
Old 03-11-2002, 05:24 PM
cweatherington
Intermediate

I installed the new relay and it gave me intermittent back but you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between intermittent and low. They are about the same speed. I've now replaced everything but the switch. I just don't see how the switch could affect parking.

Any ideas before I buy something else I may not need ?
Old 03-12-2002, 02:34 PM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

Hmmmmm, its been a while since I have worked on my Volvo wipers, but there should be a constant power connection to the wiper motor... as in the power required to keep it moving after the switch is off. In fact, all the wiper systems that I have looked at, all handled park at the motor.. without any remote switch. Try checking for a broken wire to the constant power feed. --Roy--
Old 03-12-2002, 03:59 PM
cweatherington
Intermediate

Thanks I didn't think about the motor needing a constant power supply. I can't wait to get home an try it.

If someone is better at reading those wiring diagrams then me please correct me but I think its terminal 53, black/gray that should be hot with the ingition turned on.

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-13-2002, 06:51 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Please let us know what you find...I just developed the same problem on mine!

Old 03-13-2002, 09:50 AM
cweatherington
Intermediate

Went home last night and started testing wires. With the ignition on there is not a hot wire at all at the motor. Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the Black/Gray wire (term. 53) on the motor plug should be hot when the ignition is on. This would make sense, because that is where my heated washers are attached and they haven't been working either.

On the diagram 53 (black/gray) is the only wire that doesn't run to a relay or a switch, it runs straight to C13 on the fuse panel, which attaches to fuse 11. The fuse is fine on mine so my guess is a broken wire between the panel and the motor.

Because it was raining here last night and my wife had the garage I wasn't able to check this wire to much. I plan on first seeing if the black/gray combination stays the same all the way to the panel and to check continuity of the wire.

What Roy LaZelle said sounds right and if this is the wire that’s supposed to be hot, then I may have found the problem. If anyone has any ideas or if I'm wrong please let me know.

Chris
Old 03-18-2002, 10:01 AM
cweatherington
Intermediate

This weekend I finally got around to looking at this. I was right the Black/Gray wire at the motor should have a constant 12v with the ignition. This provides power to park your wipers when the switch is turned off. I found that I didn't have 12v with ignition. Somewhere between the fuse panel and the motor the wire was broken. Ran a new wire from the fuse panel to the motor and it works perfectly. If anyone has questions e-mail me, I've learned more about the fuse panel then I ever really wanted too. Also side note the black and gray at the fuse panel C17 kills your car. (Don't ask how I know)

Thanks for all the help
Chris

Quick Reply: Wipers wont park ?