Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some "what to expect" scenairos

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:58 PM
till_that_day
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some "what to expect" scenairos

I did something stupid....

I was pushing my car a little hard into a 90deg corner, hit some gravel, got a bit squirrely, did a double sideways and landed squarely in between two trees. So lucky!!! no direct front end or engine damage. I haven't gotten the tires off of it yet to do a full inspect, but here's what I've seen so far...

Passenger Side: crunched fender and tire facing outward. no broken tierod, wheel seems to turn fine, so I'm assuming spindle/ knuckle are ok. Looks to be that the strut is twisted or bent. Air dam is completely loose and flappy on the side

Driver Side: slightly crunched fender, looks repairable. Wheel assy seems to be in tact. air dam also ripped away with a good size chunk taken out.

Also this happened on friday night and I went out to start it to pull it up on the trailer and my battery was dead today... created a drain somehow?

I feel like an idiot, but it could've been much worse.

Does anybody have any ideas of what other hidden issues I could run into along the way? Does anybody know of any junkyards within a couple hours of Kalamazoo, MI that would have a fender and air dam? Also I will be needing a passenger side strut assy for an '86 944 NA but i will put up another post for that.
Attached Images     
Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 AM
monteolsen1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try German Auto Dismantlers in Georgia and 20th Street Auto in Arizona if you can't find anything local. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Probably around $3-4k - if you can find a body shop that will take it.

Your hood gaps still seem to be good, so you probably don't need to put it on a frame machine and have it pulled.

You just need to source used parts and have them prepped, painted and fitted.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 AM
joejoe
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Check trueness of rims.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might try RL member Ideola for advice. He has great knowledge and information. Just across the state.
http://garage.ideola.com/

GL
John
Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by till_that_day
I did something stupid....

I was pushing my car a little hard into a 90deg corner, hit some gravel, got a bit squirrely, did a double sideways and landed squarely in between two trees. So lucky!!! no direct front end or engine damage. I haven't gotten the tires off of it yet to do a full inspect, but here's what I've seen so far...

Passenger Side: crunched fender and tire facing outward. no broken tierod, wheel seems to turn fine, so I'm assuming spindle/ knuckle are ok. Looks to be that the strut is twisted or bent. Air dam is completely loose and flappy on the side

Driver Side: slightly crunched fender, looks repairable. Wheel assy seems to be in tact. air dam also ripped away with a good size chunk taken out.

Also this happened on friday night and I went out to start it to pull it up on the trailer and my battery was dead today... created a drain somehow?

I feel like an idiot, but it could've been much worse.

Does anybody have any ideas of what other hidden issues I could run into along the way? Does anybody know of any junkyards within a couple hours of Kalamazoo, MI that would have a fender and air dam? Also I will be needing a passenger side strut assy for an '86 944 NA but i will put up another post for that.
OK, I'll jump in and be "that guy" who says it..

THAT WILL BUFF RIGHT OUT!

Now really, we need more pictures... Is it just me, or is the drivers wheel now sitting MUCH more inside the fender than on the passenger side? could just be an optial illusion caused by the pass side damage, but looking at the tires and wheels in relation to the fender arches... need to see a full engine bay straight on with hood up picture, and pictures of the pass side strut damage...

Originally Posted by Van
Probably around $3-4k - if you can find a body shop that will take it.

Your hood gaps still seem to be good, so you probably don't need to put it on a frame machine and have it pulled.

You just need to source used parts and have them prepped, painted and fitted.
I am almost willing to bet 3-4K MIGHT be conservative if a shop is doing the work... and I wouldn't be so quick on the frame machine... need MORE pictures... front on hood up, underside, wheel "misalignment", strut towers, etc..etc..etc...

Originally Posted by John_AZ
You might try RL member Ideola for advice. He has great knowledge and information. Just across the state.
http://garage.ideola.com/

GL
John
Good place to start, he can assist with repairs, or make recomendations on where to take it...
Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

" Also I will be needing a passenger side strut assy for an '86 944 NA but i will put up another post for that. "

I bet you will find one closer but I can help you with this if needed.

Let me know soon, I go in for surgery on Thursday then will out for a few.

See my thread on my '86 NA parts car and PM me if needed. I promiss you will hard pressed to find it for less than what I will sell it for.

Good luck.

michael
Old 08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
till_that_day
Instructor

So I had a friend of my brother-in-law put the car up on his frame rack just to see whats what....

worse than I expected.

Both steering knuckles are bad. The PS strut is twisted. And he recommended replacing both tie rods. Some of the damage is from my "incident" and some from a PO crash.

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Is it just me, or is the drivers wheel now sitting MUCH more inside the fender than on the passenger side?
If any of you recall my previous post (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-question.html )about my front tires being spaced off and the caster out of wack, it is because the unibody had been smushed previously and never pulled back out correctly, which of course he can do for a nominal fee

Anyways now my question is, I have struts on their way from an '86 NA, I have found one knuckle from an '86 and the other side from an '87 these should all bolt up, correct?

And what do you think, about 14lbs of bondo should fix that fender right up, huh?
Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy another one, there allot of $1200 unhit cars out there.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
till_that_day
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
Buy another one, there allot of $1200 unhit cars out there.

Yeah, I've weighed this option, it would be nice to have any part i need "out back". But if I'm going to drop $1000 plus on this car in one shot it'll probably be in springs, inserts, t-bars, and strut brace.

Quick Reply: need some "what to expect" scenairos