Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not neccesarily P related... remote starters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not neccesarily P related... remote starters?

I'm planning to get a remote starter/keyless entry system for a non-P car (2002 Forester to be exact). This car does not have smart keys or a factory alarm which should make installation a bit easier. There are so many brands to choose from and I can't find much in the way of independent reviews. Anyone here have good/bad experiences with one of these things? Please name names...
Old 08-15-2010, 10:24 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The manufacturer of Viper alarms is Directed Electronics, and they sell under several names besides Viper. All of their products have been first rate in my experience, anything not DE's I've had problems of one kind or another. Can't go wrong with Viper but they won't give you enough info to install yourself, they want "professionals" to do it (LOL).

My Mustang has a Viper Responder 2-way paging alarm, has worked flawlessly for 4 yrs now.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 AM
krystar
Drifting

make sure u put ebrake safety on the remote starter esp if it's a manual trans. i once witnessed a mazda3 get accidentally remote started and ran thru a fence in track paddock cause it was in gear
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Thanks. This is for a AT so it should be pretty straightforward.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,
I used to install alarms and remote started for a couple years. I really like the compustar remotes for ease of install. I found Clifford and Viper are more of a pain to install becuase there are a few more extra relays hanging off the harnesses. The cool thing with Viper is you can use your iphone to start the car.
In the end get the one that has the features you want and the remote you want. Becuase once it's installed they all do the same thing and you'll only ever see the remote. Do not buy cheap e-bay modules the relays will fail in short time.
Are you sure you don't have a chipped key???

Good luck,
Phil
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Thanks Phil. I've heard some good things about Compustar and DEI products (Viper, etc.). I'm pretty sure there was no chipped key since the car didn't come with keyless entry/alarm. It appears that the lowly 'L' model Foresters were only equipped with power door locks. I am leaning toward a 2 way unit as I like the idea of getting feedback that the car has actually started. I see Viper 5901 systems on e-bay- these should be O.K. if new, un-opened, right?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AFAIK, you get no wiring instructions for any Viper products, so you HAVE to take it to a shop. Is that true, Phil?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 AM
944Phil
Racer

I HIGHLY recommend 2 way remotes. The one i have goes 1 mile. The only downside is if you hit your trunk button by accident... then you half to walk a mile to close your trunk before someone steals your golf clubs.
Viper on e-bay should be fine.
The viper alarms should come with instructions becuase even the installers need them. I never saw an alarm without instructions.
Are you gonig to install it yourself?
A lot of cars without keyless entry had chipped keys. If you have a spare key it's easy and cheap to get around it with an emmulator. But you have to sacrifice a key. An easy way to find out... have a copy of your kay made at home depot, it it works then your golden, if it starts then stops then you have a chipped key.
All the new technology is one reason why i stopped doing this stuff. New cars are so complicated it used to take me a whole day to troubleshoot some stupid problem.
Good luck, i'll help you out if i can.
Phil
Old 08-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I do plan to install myself. I appreciate the offer to help troubleshoot. I have the FSM and know how to read the wiring diagrams so I think I'll be O.K. The only keys I got with the car are the plain flat metal kind. They do start the car and it keeps running....
Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM
944Phil
Racer

Plain flat metal key = goodness.
Good luck, and always ground to the chassis, not to any wires unless you can physically see that they are pinned onto a star ground.

Quick Reply: Not neccesarily P related... remote starters?