Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety Devices roll cage, squzzy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 09:56 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Safety Devices roll cage, squzzy?

Does anybody have some pictures of the Safety Devices roll cage in a 944? I am particularly interested in the area around the driver/passenger. Does it have a side impact/intrusion bar?

I know fellow rennlister squzzy has one installed in his car.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:40 AM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
This is posted on the 968.net as a Safety Devices Roll Cage.

Old 09-29-2002, 05:04 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't have it, but have ridden a few cars that do. The door bar doesn't cause too much more trouble than a regular race seat will with its high thigh entry. Either way, you usually have to enter with a foot while holding onto the steering wheel. It's not the safest setup out there, but certainly looks adequate. So-called NASCAR bars are nice, but really hamper egress/ingress - and, require you remove the door inards. Not a good choice for dual-use cars. I believe that brace is removable also - not sure though.

Skip
Old 09-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Tabor
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by Skip:
<strong>So-called NASCAR bars are nice, but really hamper egress/ingress - and, require you remove the door inards. Not a good choice for dual-use cars.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, and mine would be dual use as you put it.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:56 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Here is a larger version of the picture that David posted:

Old 09-30-2002, 03:36 AM
Tabor
Drifting

Hey Skip,

You are going to be at PIR on the 4th, right? I will be there if MotorSports International can get my car to pass emissions.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:39 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For DE? Probably not (is only a half-day) - waiting for Rainbonnet in November.

Hope you can make it and have a bit of fun.

S
Old 10-01-2002, 03:46 AM
squzzy
Advanced

i love my cage. would recomend it to anyone out there looking for a bolt in roll cage. funny story though. that picture of that green with silver 968,is what persuaded me to buy my cage. i saw it in person at the hershey swap meet and it happened to have the seets i had installed then, recaro SRDs. what are the chances?

anyway, the intrusion bar is pretty low. to give you an example, you must remove the arm rests and door pulls to allow the bar to go in, it's low enough to get in and out ou every day, and high enough for me to use as an arm rest at a stop light, especialy with the padding installed. i'm six five, and i use the car every day and i have no complaints, it doesn't bother me at all. i got the cage with every intention of installing the front legs, door bars and screen brace before every event, and i have only taken the front part out once. i put it back in and it has stayed there ever since. it really not that big of a deal.

i acctually have a system worked out for getting in and out, and it only took me about fifteen minutes to perfect. i put one foot in, support my weight with my left hand on the door bar, and slide into the seat. to get out, one foot out the door, right hand on the inside of the front leg, and stand with right foot. with the quick release hub i recently installed, entry and exit is a cake walk.

the whole thing is held together with grade eight bolts and the seems are quality stuff. in my opinion anyway. i do have one complaint however. it's impossible to get a prefab cage that will fit perfectly. it is a pain in the *** to install because every car is different. it's probably not the lightest cage out there either. ok, i guess thats two. other than that, it has worked out great.

the safety devices cage is probably not for every one, but it happened to work out for me. i am very pleased.

on a side note, my dealings with stable energies was very pleasant and helpful. i think i called like three times to ask many questions before i pulled the trigger and ordered it.

adios

Quick Reply: Safety Devices roll cage, squzzy?