Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ive tried it all

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 12:01 AM
NY 85.5 944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ive tried it all

I broke down on Friday and had to get towed home. I spent all weekend trying to figure out what went wrong. I was at my friends house and I shut off my car. He had never seen my car before so he wanted me to start it up so he could hear it run. It wouldnt start, just cranked. After a while it did start but wouldnt idle, it wanted to run at 600rpms.

So i went home and checked EVERYTHING. I crank the engine over and it starts right up, then it shuts right off.

I changed the battery because i needed a new one anyway, checked all grounds, no vacuum leak, power to air sensors and fuel injectors, fuel is being pumped, have all 4 plugs sparking, compression, oil pressure, changed thermostat cause someone told me to, power from alternator, no bad fuses, starter is fine, and i am stuck.
Oh... and I tried a different computer.

I have lost all hope. Nothing seems to work. It doesnt want to stay running.

My car has been everything but trouble free for the past 5 months. Doing the work takes up all of my time. Paying someone else to do the work would cost too much money.

And it just got an engine with half the miles, and I put a fresh head on it myself.

Time to sell.

Any ideas on what my problem is??
Old 10-16-2002, 01:12 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
I'm just throwing out a WAG.

WHat condition is the wiring in (old?) and have you seen allot of moisture recently.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:25 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try a new fuel pressure regulator or fuel damper. If one of these components has failed [more likely the damper] your fuel pressure will surge and the computer will shut the car down. I couldn't get my car to run more than 30 seconds before these parts were replaced.

Your idle seems low...have you tried adjusting the idle to see what that does? How about your idle control valve?
Old 10-16-2002, 01:28 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Change the DME relay.

Voltage that engages the starter also is sent to the DME to run the fuel pump. When you stop cranking as the engine starts the fuel pump stops running and the engine dies from lack of fuel.

The signal from the speed sensor tells the DME to keep the fuel pump running. So if changing the DME doesn't keep the car running then the speed sensor is next. Could just be the connector at the back of the engine to the sensors. Check them.

The speed sensor should put out 2 volts across two of it's pins when cranking the car.

You can make a jumper to bypass the DME relay. You have to take the voltage at socket 30 and split it to 87b (fuel pump) and 87 (DME power).

If you want to check that the DME is trying to close the fuel pump contacts in the DME relay you can use a 12 volt test light from a power source to socket 85b. The DME takes this to ground to actuate the contacts for the fuel pump.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:31 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
check the vaccume lines going to the fuel pressure reg. and damp. If you have a leak you will get it to crank over a few times then it will starve out.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:57 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your car starts when it is cold and then suddenly stops and won't start again, you have a faulty fuel pressure regulator.I suppose i won't start at all when engine is hot ?
Otherwise check the DME relay.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:07 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 solid vote for the AFM...(Air flow meter)

Try disconnecting the AFM...and see how the car runs. If it idles, but stumbles and wants to stall when you give it gas...then definetely your AFM.

if you have the factory service manuals, there's a test procedure in there....if not email me and i'll try to find it.
Old 10-16-2002, 03:11 AM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i second the afm
Old 10-16-2002, 09:06 PM
NY 85.5 944
Advanced

I disconnected the AFM and the same thing happened. It just cut right out. It would stay alive for a few seconds whil giving it gas.

Quick Reply: Ive tried it all