Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 ITB question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 PM
rey21
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 ITB question

I have an itb project that I am currently working on. The problem that is sort of making it go slower is because I need to work with the MAF,DME and tuning. Anybody know any options?
Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

options for what? u need a hardware solution for the tuning? get a microsquirt
Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

ummm... wow.... so much potential, so little info to go on...

Location?
year / model of car?
Mods already installed?
Was each mod applied at one time, or incremenatal over time?

ITBs have been covered, ad nausium here, good for race car, not so much for street car..

believe it or not, the factory actually did a pretty decent job setting up the system from the factory...
Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 PM
rey21
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a 1983 944 na, no mods installed and, Yes I need something that I can tune it with. The DME and mass air flow will be switched to a 86 NA 944 so it chan be chipped and tuned,
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like a whole bunch of $$ and time investment for a couple of HP... you MIGHT be able to break the 150 mark at the crank.... which IMHO isn't really worth the effort, but more power to you...

Might have an easier time if you find a post 87 engine / DME setup.. higher compression ratio yields higher HP as a stronger starting point, but even then extensive engine mods are needed to yield significant HP gains.. ITBs while neat, won't yield that much on the 83 engine... but I could be wrong... I wouldn't expect anything more than improved throttle response... which will be of negligable improvement given such a weak starting point to begin with...

What is the end goal for the car?

Meggasquirt will yield infinitely better tunability than the stock DME.. at a low price point... there are also out of the box EMS setups that you could consider (most of which would likely cost more than the car).

Rouge Ant on here can aid you SOME with the tuning within the constraints of the DME.. I decided I am tired of the DME and have a full stand alone for my 951... my tuning setup on my 951 currently will be transfered to my 88N/A in a short time, and I will be working within the DME constraints for a short while to "imporove" my driveability... but again, there is a limit to the N/A improvements that can be done without opening the motor, and cost to reward just isn't really there for bolt on to an otherwise stock 83 IMHO.

As far as tuning, Moates Ostrich 2.0 with a socket booster will be needed for the DME... for plug and play that is...
http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the...eed-p-169.html

as far as tuning suites, it is up to you, I have Russel Barry's MaxTune ( http://www.maxhpkit.com/prod_maxtune.htm ) and an Ostrich on my 951 now, and it works well, Rouge has put together a thread and support for self tuning using TunerPro IIRC... there are many options available.. I chose MaxTune for the support and plug and playability of the package... but at $150 to $1000 it isn't a choice everyone makes...

Quick Reply: 944 ITB question