Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

faint clunking noise from rear suspension/wheel well area

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 07:28 PM
user 8430
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post faint clunking noise from rear suspension/wheel well area

I've noticed recently that when driving over rippled/undulating pavement surface, I notice a faint clunking noise from my rear wheel well area? It doesn't seem to occur over over harsh bumps so much as when I drive over pavement surface that causes the car to rock gently from side to side.....my first impression was it sounded like the noise you would get from bad front strut mounts, or sway bar links etc? Any ideas.......
Old 10-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 guesses; a week after I changed my rear shocks I noticed a similar noise from my right rear. A few weeks later I had it teched for a DE and mentioned it, I even looked under the car with them and everything looked good except one of the tech guys noticed a little play in a CV. When my car went to my mechanic blowing smoke a few days later I asked him to check it out. He couldn't find anything.
At the DE, I changed my rear brake pads and while I was in there I rechecked the shock mounts, the upper right was a hair loose, I put a few more foot/lbs into it and all is quiet.
Now I'm starting to notice a little noise from that CV joint
If your shocks aren't new it could also be the rubber bushing in the end of it. A CV would have to be pretty bad to make that much noise.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:00 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a classic swaybar link issue. This is a common issue on the SE-R and the description usually given is pretty much like yours. I'd start there. Besides, they are easy check and I would imagine relatively cheap to replace.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:14 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Low-tech approach: Do you have a quart of oil stored in the compartment behind the wheel? I guess that wouldn't answer the side to side thing.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:47 PM
user 8430
Banned

Thanks for the tips guys...gonna inspect the suspension tomorrow.....peckster good idea, already thought of that and emptied out everything but the kitchen sink so to speak the other day!
Old 10-18-2002, 03:35 PM
user 8430
Banned

OK had the suspension checked today, no noticeable play in any components in the rear, checked sway bar bushings and links, cv joints, wheel bearings, lower shock mounts.....however I am wondering if it may be something on the upper part of the suspension near the upper shock mounts maybe? To reach these is it easier to remove the wheels?
Old 10-18-2002, 04:42 PM
bpp944
Pro

I had a similar issue after having my rear shocks replaced. The clunking noise was due to the shocks not being shimmed correctly. when the suspension would load or unload (I'm not sure which), I'd hear the noise. I jacked up the car and found everything to be tight. It had occurred to me that by jacking up the car I may have been unknowingly putting a slight load on the shocks. I drove the right side of the car up on a curb, crawled underneath to gave the shocks a good shake. Sure enough the right lower mount was loose. I re-shimmed both sides and have had no problems since.

Quick Reply: faint clunking noise from rear suspension/wheel well area