Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 03:07 PM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Timing Belt Change

Hey guys,
In addition to my post about the non-functional tachometer, I have a question about what needs to be replaced when the Belts are done. Here is a listing of what was on the reciept when the previous owner had it done:
REPL. CAM & BALANCE SHAFT BELT & ADJ. PULLEY & IDLER $267.75
PO TIMING BELT $14.95
PO TOOTHED BELT $41.40
PO BELT TENSIONER $48.30
PO BELT TENSION $37.95
VW MISC HARDWARE $ 4.08
SHOP SUPPLIES $13.39
TOTAL COST WITH LABOR, TAX, & FREIGHT $468.28

A VW shop quoted me at about 1000 to do it now, they said that all the rollers, the belt tensioner, and some other stuff would need to be replaced, but they said this when they hadn't even seen the car. If I got the exact same thing done as stated above (in caps) would that be all I needed to do, assuming the waterpump is fine?
Thanks,
Justin
Old 09-24-2002, 03:52 PM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello. In addition to the two tensionors, you might be looking at needing two rollers. I just replaced my belts and two tensionors and one roller (the other roller really seemed great, and I was short on cash). I've seen deals on e-bay where you can buy a six piece set (two belts, two tensionors, and two rollers) under $200. My parts came from the Porsche dealer because the car was apart in a friend's garage and it's my daily driver (needed the parts right then!), otherwise I'd have shopped around.

Good luck! Please don't pay them $1000.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:03 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I recently got both belts, both tensioners (pre-87), rollers, a new thermostat, a NEW waterpump, and a new heater valve from Paragon for under $500.00 for all of it. Do it yourself, it isn't that hard and if you get stuck you've got one hell of a group of gearheads right here to help you.
Call Jason or Chuck at Paragon, they're the best.<a href="http://www.paragon-products.com/" target="_blank">Paragon Products</a>
Old 09-25-2002, 03:17 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only thing that stops me from doing it myself is my own apprehension(sp?) about the timing belt tension, if someone were to show me how to get the belts right I would appreciate it greatly. I believe that I could do the rest of it myself, especially since I have the workshop manuals.
If anyone wants to help me that would be incredible.
Thanks,
Justin
Old 09-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definately change the rollers! My n/a recently sheered all the teeth on the balance shaft belt from a locked up roller. Check the seals and sleeves while you are in there too.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:01 AM
kennyandersen
Instructor

I changed all the rollers and all the belts -- less than two hundred bucks. Your car probably has alot of miles on it so it should be done soon anyway. Do it yourself and you will save big-time. I did have the help of a friend who had done the procedure before -- hey you guys in OH, help the boy out on his first belt change!
Old 09-25-2002, 11:00 PM
Dales944
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by kennyandersen:
<strong>hey you guys in OH, help the boy out on his first belt change!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd love to help out, but my last belt change was my first belt change! I do not have a tension guage. The friend who helped me had the "real-deal" tool from the Porsche dealer. I have the motions down - I could dictate a complete belt change - but I don't want to be the one you look to when something goes awry.

P.S. Sorry I can't spell "tensioner."

P.S.S. Grove City is not too far away, if you do it yourself I'd love to observe.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:22 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the willingness to help out guys, I am glad that I am part of a community that cares so much about its members. All I need now is someone that is experienced enough to do it by "feel" or someone that can do it with the magic tool(Can we get it from the P9201(?) tool club, the one where it is traded among rennlisters?).
Justin
Old 09-28-2002, 12:13 PM
ast2000
Instructor

I recently did mine and scheduled a local shop to check and tension the belts before I finished the job. He found that I had one of the balance shafts 180 degreees out. He fixed that and tensioned the belts for $150. In my mind that's cheap for the peace of mind that it was done right.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:27 PM
WillyC4S
Racer

I would second the recommendation regarding the oil seal replacement. If this has not been done before on your car, you will need to do it at some point. You go through everything that a timing/balance belt replacement goes through (and then some, obviously). Going the route of replacing the seals significantly increases the work and difficulty level since the infamous camshaft bolt needs to come off as well as the crankshaft bolt.

I'd hate to spend the money and time to do the work and then find out I have to do it again because of the seals! That would suck.

Getting the parts for this is cumbersome since Porsche made so many updates to the seals and other items in that area. It's handy to have the Porsche PET CD (parts CD).

You should also replace the sleeves for the cam, and 2 balance shafts. I did for mine and measured about 2/1000 inch wear compared to brand new parts; not bad but wouldn't want to take any chances on re-doing that again.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:42 PM
Loki
Instructor

Justin,
I live about 15min from you, Norton rd. and Georgesville rd. area. I will help you do your belts(on vacation oct.4 to 20th). I do all my own work, but have not changed the timing belts on my Porsche yet, just checked tension(manually). We can then take it over to Ed Pimm, retired Porsche racer, and have him verify the tension. Email me and we'll swap numbers crice30@excite.com

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Chris, '86 951
work I've done on my car
27mm torsion bars, 250# springs, clutch with racing pressure plate, konis all around, oil cooler seals, injector seals, updated header, tial wastegate, MBC, APE chips, boost and a/f meter, misc. crap.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:58 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys,
Vertexauto.com has a Belt and Roller Kit with the part number of BELROLKT3 for 139.00. Is this all I need or do I need to replace the tensioners each time the belts are done?
Old 10-17-2002, 12:45 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

bump, because this is very important. I am coming up on my scheduled belt change very soon, and I am trying to keep as many miles off the car as possible.
Thanks
Justin
Old 10-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 10-18-2002, 05:16 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That kit should come with both belts, two idler rollers and two tensioner rollers. Call them to make sure. That should get you by at a bare minimum, but while you're in there it's a good idea to do the waterpump, especially if you don't have the updated waterpump. Check the feel of the old belts BEFORE you remove them. If possible measure the deflection at a fixed point. Set the new belts as close as possible to that point and take the car (preferably tow the car) to an experienced 944 mechanic to have the belts properly tensioned. It shouldn't be more than an hour labor. Remember, it's better that the belts are a little loose than too tight.
If my honey-do list was shorter I'd help you out, but right now I honestly don't have any free time.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Change