Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anti-roll bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 02:48 PM
bs
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post anti-roll bar bushings

during one of my, um, "off track excursions" at thunderhill a few weeks ago, i shredded the bushing that goes between the sway bar and its support on the right side. Since I pretty much have to take the whole sway bar off to replace this, should i replace all the other bushings as well? what are the options for "high performance" replacement bushings? or is something like that not worth the money?

is the stock sway bar in an '87 turbo something that i will want to replace or upgrade when i get around to doing my suspension? if so then i guess that i want to spend as little as possible on making it stop squeeking, right?

btw, all the other bushings *look* ok but they have never been changed per my service records.
Old 04-02-2002, 03:02 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
" if so then i guess that i want to spend as little as possible on making it stop squeeking, right?"

What?@ You have mice under your car? heh, heh...

Yeah, I wouldn't spend too much on replacement parts for those swaybars. You'll probably want to install 968 M030 bars later anyway. You don't really have to remove the swaybars to grease the bushings, just drive the car up on some ramps and crawl under. Or jack up the car and place blocks under the wheels. With the suspension compressed, you can unbolt the swaybar drop-link to remove it. then unbolt the D-bushings that are held to the body of the car. Slide the bushings sideways, slap on some grease and put everything back together.

I've found that a mixture of vaseline petroleum jelly and graphite works really well and lasts a long time...
Old 04-03-2002, 01:12 PM
bs
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, it is squeeking quite annoyingly, but that is because the rubber bushing is shredded and split in two and squeezed out the sides of the bracket. I'm assuming the noise is metal on metal where the sway bar is turning against it's restraint.

as far as i can see, there's no way to put a new bushing on without taking at least that end out of its drop link, right? any hints for getting that off? I tried once before and gave up because it was really hard and i didn't need to anyway.

so there's no problem with having a nice new bushing on one side and a 15 year old one on the other?
Old 04-03-2002, 02:10 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts
I just did the same procedure yesterday during lunch. That partcular pass side bushing will degrade due to power steering fluid leaks.

I was lazy and planned on doing the 968 sways soon anyway, so I split open my new bushing on 1 side like a "C" and then slipped it in after loosening the hanging bracket. I wrapped it with teflon tape first and then tightened everything back. Took about 10 minutes that way! BTW, all my M3 sway bushings are split on 1 side so I figured WTF.

Eugene

Quick Reply: anti-roll bar bushings