Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed - 968 M030 Suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:49 AM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help needed - 968 M030 Suspension problem

Rennlisters,

I'm out of town and received an email from my mechanic friend that my M030 sway bar is rubbing on the tie rods to the point where the tie rods need replacing and the question is how do we address the problem.

By way of history the car had Weltmeister bars and swapped them out for the M030 bars. Car also has firmer lowering springs, the inserts to restore the ride height back to its original height and Koni Yellows.

His email is shown below.

""I found the problem with your steering being off center and it's much worse than just an adjustment.

I was just changing the oil and noticed the sway bar in front has been rubbing/hitting on the tie rods. It's very serious. There is a sizable divot in the sway bar both sides, the tie rods are probably worn 25% through and are clearly bent. I'd guess this is due to the mounting location of this bar vs the lowered suspension. The bar is probably ok, the tie rods are history. Big question is how to clear the interference. Chassis and/or sway bar must go up or steering rack must go down. Perhaps one of your Porsche friends has some experience with this setup. ""

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Old 08-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Swaybar is installed wrong. Who replaced the welt with the porsche bar? Did they try to installed the bar so the drop links and ends of the bar are on the top of the control arm, like the welt bar - instead of on the bottom?

Have the guy send a picture if he can.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM
ZW 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, if the bar is installed correctly, there is no way those two components could even be close to contacting each other. even so, you would have heard clunking as they hit when you go over a bump.

I dont even know if the bar could physically be installed with the control arm links above the control arm.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ZW 944

I dont even know if the bar could physically be installed with the control arm links above the control arm.
Having never tried it myself, wouldnt think so either. But cant think of how else the bar and tie rods are hitting.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Originally Posted by phil0618
Rennlisters,

I'm out of town and received an email from my mechanic friend that my M030 sway bar is rubbing on the tie rods to the point where the tie rods need replacing and the question is how do we address the problem.

By way of history the car had Weltmeister bars and swapped them out for the M030 bars. Car also has firmer lowering springs, the inserts to restore the ride height back to its original height and Koni Yellows.

His email is shown below.

""I found the problem with your steering being off center and it's much worse than just an adjustment.

I was just changing the oil and noticed the sway bar in front has been rubbing/hitting on the tie rods. It's very serious. There is a sizable divot in the sway bar both sides, the tie rods are probably worn 25% through and are clearly bent. I'd guess this is due to the mounting location of this bar vs the lowered suspension. The bar is probably ok, the tie rods are history. Big question is how to clear the interference. Chassis and/or sway bar must go up or steering rack must go down. Perhaps one of your Porsche friends has some experience with this setup. ""

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Can you post some pictures? I for one agree the sway bar is not installed correctly....if you want me to check the car call me (live in Gilroy)...I will pm you with my number.

-BB
Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

End links are installed correctly, but bar is installed upside down?

Quick Reply: Help needed - 968 M030 Suspension problem