Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler leak vs. front balance shaft seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:19 AM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil cooler leak vs. front balance shaft seal leak

trying to figure out better if i have a front lower balance seal leak or a dripping oil cooler seal leak. i didnt know about the latter possibility until i searched around here about the possible balance seal leak.

the leak i am seeing seems to be coming from the space between the balance shaft compartment and the back of where the belts live

anyone have any advice or pictures to help a brother narrow this down?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 AM
L8_apex
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar dilema. It should be more clear if the whole area on that lower side of the block is cleaned of dirt/grease. That layer can mask where the leak is and it will carry the leak to a low drip point, rather than let you see where the source is.

Could do it by steam cleaning. Or, the way I did it, was with lots of Oil Eater and paper towers - this was a messy job.

Of the two I think the oil cooler seal is the more common problem.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 PM
jbob
Racer

is the oil cooler the block that contains the oil filter mount?

any pics or links? i'm googling right now

on an N/A how much more has to be stripped away to get to it compared with the roller seals?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM
krystar
Drifting

yea the oil cooler housin is the oil filter mount too
Old 07-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get to the oil cooler without taking much off but it's hard. Extensions and u-joints are needed. You also need an alignment tool for the oil pres relief valve if you have the 1 piece updated version. You can get to it by undoing the power steering pump, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter, OPRV and 4 10mm bolts that hold the housing on. Helps if you take the exhaust manifold off but can be done without doing so. A lot easier if the water pump is off too. Otherwise spend a lot of time trying to squeeze your hands into very tight spots and cursing a lot. Seal kit is around $50. I got mine from Pelican parts.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:42 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A leak from the oil filter also could show up in this area, make sure it's on tight enough and that the seal is good.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:19 AM
jbob
Racer

that would i guess be best case

going to go to town with the sprayer at the car wash

would i be able to diagnose this from above?

before i saw the leak from below on a lift, coming down behind-ish the power steering pump when it was on a lift

i get slightly spare time on my friends lift, so i have to work quick and i often learn stuff when im away from his place and the car isnt sitting up on the lift while im on rennlist

would bringing reading glasses help to see things closer, it just seemed like from above and below i couldnt see that much detail other than where the leak was pooling after it ran its course. im sure cleaning will help, but i did just spray it off 3 weeks ago after doing my balance belt and rollers
Old 07-29-2010, 02:34 AM
L8_apex
Rennlist Member

You'll need to diagnose/inspect from below. It may seem obvious, but remove the plastic undertray before heading down for the spray cleaning. A very bright (halogen) inspection light might also help.

Didn't see anywhere in your posts if you have a late or early 944NA, S2, Turbo ??? Dryslick13 has the gist of it exactly right. But the details of removing and resealing the oil cooler/filter housing unit differ significantly between models. 944NAs have a more complex oil/coolant exchanger within the block cavity. Later S2s and turbos have an external oil cooler connected by two rubber hoses. This oil cooler has to be disconnected as well, but there is a much less complex set of seals at the oil filter housing itself.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 PM
jbob
Racer

so it looks like its the front lower balance shaft seal. the upper is also leaking a bit. will i have to take off the timing belt to do this? just factoring in time. what about 7 hours for both? maybe less if i move fast?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 PM
krystar
Drifting

u'll need to remove balance belt, timing belt, crank bolt (need flywheel lock), crank pulley, rear timing cover. then u can get to the upper bs snout. the lower bs snout...u need to remove the power steering bracket too
Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Get a front seal kit that includes both the balance shaft races and the oil pump sleeve. Plan on it taking you more than 7 hours if it is your first time and you are the type of person that cleans everything well while it is apart. A whole lot of gunk builds up from the front seals leaking over time.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Would be best to remove your radiator/fans to have more access too. While your in there I would change belts, rollers, tensioners, and maybe the water pump if it is old. If your car is an older version, update to the new style waterpump with the deflector bar thing. At least the balance shaft seals are not that expensive. You can basically do all the work yourself, if you have the right tools. in a weekend. Check Clark's Garage web site for step by step instructions on how to do all the work.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:26 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob
trying to figure out better if i have a front lower balance seal leak or a dripping oil cooler seal leak. i didnt know about the latter possibility until i searched around here about the possible balance seal leak.

the leak i am seeing seems to be coming from the space between the balance shaft compartment and the back of where the belts live

anyone have any advice or pictures to help a brother narrow this down?
It could infact be any of the front seals too. I have been dealing with front crank seal leak for years in my 944 Turbo S. That put oil all over the place. Made it look like a number of leaks.

You need to start pulling parts to check. I would guess first that it is rotating shaft seal. Remember the oil cooler either Turbo style or NA water bath style will leak water first. If the oil leaks it leaks into the water. Or a turbo it can leak at the hose fittings.

Quick Reply: oil cooler leak vs. front balance shaft seal leak