Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights won't go up, but will come down

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlights won't go up, but will come down

Figures. Been enjoying the car lately (it has been working very well lately and everything works)
The headlights were working just fine, then one day, I turn them on, and the lights stayed in the down position, yet the lights were on. (running lights too) I jumped out of the car and manually raised the headlights, and drove off. I get to my destination, and turn off the car and lights, and the headlights closed properly!?? This is now how I have to drive at night.

I have changed the relay with a known working one, no change. I have cleaned my own relay and connectors that I could see/find.
I have removed the headlight dash switch and cleaned the connectors.
I have changed/checked the fuse
I have cussed and swore at it
I may have threatened it a little as well.

No go.
I have access to a known working headlight motor, I just have to remove it from the parts car, and plug in my harness to see if it will operate the motor to determine if the motor is ok, other than that, I'm not sure where to go other that to start replacing stuff..(not an ideal way to troubleshoot...especially after what I have spent getting the car into a reliable condition)

Known issues? any ideas? or do I just keep my nose to the grindstone and trace everything in between the motor and the switch?

Thanks,
Scott.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

This is often caused by the contactor on the headlight motor assembly. It can sometimes be cleaned or a working motor assembly fitted. The contactor has brushes and contacts to control the relay for up/down operation.

It could also be a dead spot on the headlight motor, that should be possible to fix also but I have never bothered. I kind of doubt this, as it sounds like your car always thinks the lights are in the up position.

-Joel.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 AM
joonas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-05.htm
Old 08-07-2010, 06:27 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update. Fixed it. looked closer at fuse 37, and found a crack in it...not blown. Weird. Must just be old and brittle.
While I was clinking around under the hood, I cleaned up some connectors, and my temp guage started to work! (I have an aftermarket guage set anyways)

Oh well. A "2fer"!

Quick Reply: Headlights won't go up, but will come down