Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

follow up Skip... C/O kit Koni Sport questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003 | 12:15 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Post follow up Skip... C/O kit Koni Sport questions...

Ok so the replacement bolt and washers came in and I finally had the time to pull the strut. Here is what I found:

A. rubber boot was put on the bottom of the strut where the lower bolt goes in. So it was wedged, folded, cramed and torn at the bottom. So I guess it was included in the kit after all. So this may be part of the reason for the bolt coming loose and falling out!

B. You were right the little nubs were not secured to anything the shop that did the conversion cut the strut core to short about 12mm+ to short ahhh! I have not taken out the driver side strut so I imagine it is in the same shape.

C. The bumpers were upside down as you said

D. The coils were not zip tied as you pointed out

E. We know where the rubber caps went

F. The lower bolt was missing (Koni was kind enough to send me the bolt, washer and lock washer at no charge!)

So now what are my options? Do I need to start over and find new cores? the springs and coils have less 300 miles on them! Do those nubs absolutley have to be fastened to the core?
Old 04-15-2003 | 03:29 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wow...

Well, the nubs do really have to be secured to something to hold the upper portion of the struts securely and safely. If the shop still has the portions that they cut off, you could have them welded back on. I made a mistake with a set a few weeks ago and had to do the same (my jig was set to 968 whilst I chopped a 951 strut... oops). If they don't have the top portions, you may be able to find a suitably sized pipe (exhaust type). Not really sure of the wall thickness differences, but the strut cores are 2.5mm thick with 49mm ID and 54mm OD (roughly the same as 2" pipe). Not too sure what your relationship is with the shop that did this, but why isn't it their problem by now? I have 968 cores in stock (modified or not) if you decide to replace them.

Also, that must have been a real chore to get the rubbers to fit inside the core... out of curiosity, I tried it... not very easy By now you probably know they actually go over the top of the strut to cover/dress the area of the cut.

Anywho, it's been said, with a good welder all things broken are fixed again.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: follow up Skip... C/O kit Koni Sport questions...