Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: No Illumination of gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No Illumination of gauge cluster

I did a search and found one that was exactly like what is happening to me but there was never a answer back to the board if the suggestions worked.

I will put the problem back up for new/more suggestions.

I changed the odometer gear last year and since I had it out of the car I changed all the bulbs. Up until last week everything was fine with the lights. Now I have no night time illumintion of the cluster. All the other warning lights still work. I pulled it yesterday and changed the three illumination bulbs again and did the foil trick from clarks-garage. I still have no illumination at night.

The post I found had a suggestion to clean the football shaped items on the back of the cluster which i will try. Any other ideas since I will be pulling the cluster again?

Thanks for any ideas
Old 08-02-2010, 03:15 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

i blew a fuse once that put all of my gauge lights out...it seems very simple, but have you checked that?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:54 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
i blew a fuse once that put all of my gauge lights out...it seems very simple, but have you checked that?
I will check the fuses. You said all of your gauge lights went out when it happened. I still have all the other lights such as the green parking light words and the brake light indicator and the seatbelt light, the turn signals indicator lights up and the high beam indicator. I just can't see how fast I am driving at night. I can't see the tach but I always listen to the motor to tell me when to change gears.

I can't believe I am the only one this has happened to other than the post I found that never had closure.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my instrument lights go out on my early but at the same time the tail lights (and others) also went out. If this is happening then it's probably a connector pin on the back side of the main fuse box. Fairly common problem for an early.

On the other hand, if yours is not an early and/or it's instruments lights only, I would say take a very close look at your grounds (and the football shaped things).

GL
Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i front lit my instruments with an 18" led string from autozone that could be trimmed....

i trimmed them to like 13"

tucked in behind the little frame that holds the glass and added a little epoxy.

super good stuff. bright but not too.......
Old 08-06-2010, 12:23 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

I found the culprit.

Even though it was not blown it just looked dingy and old. I put a new one in and now I can see how fast I am going again.

It is fuse #38 which said it controls the fog lights and the headlight motor and they were both working before the change.
Attached Images   
Old 08-06-2010, 12:57 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

wow...you have a lot more lights than me...wierd
Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lovemyp-car
wow...you have a lot more lights than me...wierd
Last year when I changed the broken gear I changed all the bulbs on the back of the cluster with new ones. I was surprised at all the lights I had again, I forgot what it was like when it was a new car.

I did pull the "!" light because it never went off ever. The dealer I bought the car from could never figure it out.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
IGROWL
Rennlist Member

Well it happened again today all the illumination gone and the speedometer and the tach had no movement this time.

Again fuse #38 the culprit, this time though it was blown. Changed it again and everything was back to working.

There had to be something causing this so I start investagating. Looking at everything that should be working. Notice there is no lights on the back license plate. Lean down to look at the lights and see open holes. I forgot to put them back after having the car painted.

The bare wires were shorting out hitting against the metal inside the trunk and taking out fuse #38.

Sure glad I figured this out before getting pulled over for no plate lights. The state troopers on I95 are always looking for some reason to pull a Porsche over.

Quick Reply: RE: No Illumination of gauge cluster