Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why you need to replace the vacuum hoses on your 25 YO 944

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:18 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZW 944
To be honest, I never worried about the belt tension.

It is my humble opinion that failure has much more to do with belt condition than correct tension. Sure, in an ideal world, we would be checking things like that periodically, but I'd rather just change the belt every 20-25k miles than have to worry about it.

Just because I'm taking that risk, and have had no issues so far after 10k miles doesn't mean it would be advisable for others to follow my lead.
I take the set it and forget it approach too, but I also perform all my own maintenance (well.. almost all my own) and timing belt / BS belt and water pump have settled into my anual maintenance schedule along with coolant and brake fluid flushes...

Originally Posted by tydriver
You gave good reason to be proud. Very impressive!
+1, I had another lister at my house, in the dark I was removing my TPS for him to use... my 8YO daughter asked me if I needed anything, I said I could use my allen wrenches... she replied "the little stop signs", to which I said yes... friend looked at me and said "no way, that is impressive if she brings them here" which she did... he was amazed... I break em in early, and teach them the right way... it will pay dividends their entire lives... good father daughter bonding moments abound...

Quick Reply: Why you need to replace the vacuum hoses on your 25 YO 944