Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question For My Fellow 944S2 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:12 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question For My Fellow 944S2 Owners

I've noticed a couple of odd little things with my car, during my ownership.

1. After stopping my car for a few minutes, and starting it back up, I can feel light heat coming out of the A/C vents into the cabin for about a minute after start up.

2. Whenever I drop it down from a higher gear (from 4th to 3rd, for example) and nail the throttle, an unusual smell (not bad, just unusual and noticeable) enters the cabin as a result. This is with the windows up, and no, it's not a gaseous odor.

Can someone offer me feedback on why these things may be happening?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:29 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you can turn the temp **** down to stop the warm air. If it is on hot, it will blow warm. It seems to blow air all the time.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Never noticed any smells going from 4 to 3 or any other down-shift.....is your clutch slipping?

What's it smell like?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Originally Posted by dillon410021
you can turn the temp **** down to stop the warm air. If it is on hot, it will blow warm. It seems to blow air all the time.
When this happens, the temperature **** is on maximum cool. The fan **** is on zero. And the A/C and heater are not on period. I feel as though it's engine heat, finding it's way into the cabin, through the vents upon these start ups.....
Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Originally Posted by J Berk
Never noticed any smells going from 4 to 3 or any other down-shift.....is your clutch slipping?

What's it smell like?
No, the clutch is not slipping. It doesn't smell like clutch either, I can't say that it smells like anything in particular. Mind you this happens with the windows up too. Maybe it's coming through my vents, such as I find that heat does in the first situation I mentioned. Hmmm....
Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 PM
joejoe
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Heat will always come in due to control valve inside engine bay. It is default to open with no vacuum, so when car is off and vacuum bleeds off it opens. What you can do to alieviate this is zip tie it closed for summer.

My '84 also had a smell under acceleration. The fix for me was changing the rear hatch seal. If there is any loss of seal outside air will enter (and from rear it will be part exhaust) Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

there is a plastic piece that breaks on 944's that will make your car blow hot air all the time.

check this
http://web.archive.org/web/200412140...x_v2&id=44&c=4
Old 07-31-2010, 02:24 AM
sTyleR
Racer

Originally Posted by joejoe
My '84 also had a smell under acceleration. The fix for me was changing the rear hatch seal. If there is any loss of seal outside air will enter (and from rear it will be part exhaust) Hope this helps.
I understand what you're saying, but the smell I'm getting in my S2 isn't coming from the exhaust.

I do, however, get exhaust odor in my 924S. I am aware that that smell is due to separation of the rear hatch seal.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:27 AM
sTyleR
Racer

Originally Posted by dillon410021
there is a plastic piece that breaks on 944's that will make your car blow hot air all the time.

check this
http://web.archive.org/web/200412140...x_v2&id=44&c=4
I'm not always getting heat through the vents, as the website describes. Mine simply releases a bit of heat after short moments in between shutting down and start up back up (a few minutes). I will however check to see if the heater clip is causing my problem.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:56 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the hatch seal above the lock, there is probably a 2" gap from shrinkage
allowing exhaust fumes into the cabin.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:51 AM
sTyleR
Racer

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by PorscheDude1
Check the hatch seal above the lock, there is probably a 2" gap from shrinkage
allowing exhaust fumes into the cabin.
I appreciate the effort in posting, but you guys are killing me.
Originally Posted by sTyleR
and no, it's not a gaseous odor.
I understand what you're saying, but the smell I'm getting in my S2 isn't coming from the exhaust.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the smell kind of sweet? Like coolant?

Are your fresh air vents open or closed?
Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 AM
sTyleR
Racer

Originally Posted by Clint's 944
Is the smell kind of sweet? Like coolant?

Are your fresh air vents open or closed?
The smell isn't sweet. Slightly bitter to the nose, if anything. My air vents are open. Most of the time I have the A/C blasting. Regardless of whether or not it's on however, the smell still persists. This happens when I quickly and smoothly drop it down a gear and step on it, going up to 5,500+ RPM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Doug DeArmond
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stinky S2

I've noticed a couple of odd little things with my car, during my ownership.

1. After stopping my car for a few minutes, and starting it back up, I can feel light heat coming out of the A/C vents into the cabin for about a minute after start up.

2. Whenever I drop it down from a higher gear (from 4th to 3rd, for example) and nail the throttle, an unusual smell (not bad, just unusual and noticeable) enters the cabin as a result. This is with the windows up, and no, it's not a gaseous odor.

Can someone offer me feedback on why these things may be happening?
On the heat, there is a small vacuum tank by your battery. Make sure the small plastic hose and rubber elbow are connected well so no leaks. Follow the plastic tube to the engine and you will notice a small plastic check valve. It holds vacuum in the tank when the engine is shut off which holds the heater valve in the closed position. Make sure all the plastic tubing and rubber connectore are not leaking. By the way, full throttle reduces manifold vacuum to zero so if you have a leak and/or the check valve is not working what vacuum you have to control the position of the heat and AC controls will go away and the heater valve will start to open and the air damper flaps will move to their "normal" position so you will get different air that may smell different. Other smell causers when stomping the throttle are rear hatch seal leaks and the rubber shift boot seal (under the leather one) missing or incorrectly installed. So you stomp the throttle, loose vacuum to the HVAC controls, outside air dampers move to recirc (close) cabin pressure goes more negative without cowel air pressure and you smell exhaust from the hatch seal leak and a bit of heat applied to the heater core makes it smell from years of corruption collecting on it....... orn something like that. BTW, check all those little plastic tubes and rubber connectors and engine hoses for vacuum leaks. Good Luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:20 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Originally Posted by Doug DeArmond
On the heat, there is a small vacuum tank by your battery. Make sure the small plastic hose and rubber elbow are connected well so no leaks. Follow the plastic tube to the engine and you will notice a small plastic check valve. It holds vacuum in the tank when the engine is shut off which holds the heater valve in the closed position. Make sure all the plastic tubing and rubber connectore are not leaking. By the way, full throttle reduces manifold vacuum to zero so if you have a leak and/or the check valve is not working what vacuum you have to control the position of the heat and AC controls will go away and the heater valve will start to open and the air damper flaps will move to their "normal" position so you will get different air that may smell different.
That makes sense. I'll check for vacuum leaks and hopefully have that sorted out. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Question For My Fellow 944S2 Owners