Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 or 928? which is kinder to its owner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010 | 12:19 AM
bowerbird
Instructor

Default 944 or 928? which is kinder to its owner?

I’ve spent the last year trying unsuccessfully to buy a nice example of a Porsche 928.
Finding one priced reasonably, and correctly maintained, seems impossible. Examples of these cars are either neglected heaps or overpriced. Often they are overpriced neglected heaps.

While looking for my dream 928, I considered 944s and more preferably 924s’s, at one point, I passed up a very nice 86’ in nearly flawless condition. Though very different cars, there are attributes they share. Many of the trade-offs between the 928 and the 944 make the two, in my mind worth considering. The edge goes to the 928 for several reasons. Beyond bottom line performance and sublime styling, I prefer the 928’s (pre 32 valve) because they lack an interference motor and don’t have rubber dampeners in their clutches (most not having clutches at all). These two issues have kept me from pursuing many a 944/924s.

Despite these flaws, I know the 944/924s have serious advantages over the 928s, at least in terms of ownership stress. Maintenance is generally cheaper, parts more available, they have better gas mileage, and give you the great feeling that Tom Cruise did not drive your car in a movie sometime before or after he jumped around in tighty whities.

I’m hoping to get some advice on the merits of the 944/924s. Beyond bits I’ve picked up here and there, I don’t know much about the reality of owning/ driving a 944/924s. I’ve read hundreds of pages on the 928 and have discussed 928s with renlisters quite a bit over the last year but am writing this on the 944/924s board in hopes of learning, perhaps from an owner of both, what a better bottom line choice would be. Thanks for any wisdom you may impart.
Old 07-28-2010 | 12:54 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

the nine-four-four.... usually
Old 07-28-2010 | 01:33 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

944 without a doubt, unless you buy a cherry 928

i too dreamed of a 928, a black 928S across the street, but instead found the 944 and am happy i did. gave me a better idea of what i was getting into. having done some work on that 928 (and hopefully another one in the near future) i can say it is a nicely made car but it is a very complex machine. however if well maintained and you are expecting things to go wrong and can prepare for when they do, it will serve you well.

although, if i had as much money as i do free time i would love to buy a 928 and do a bottom-up restoration/modification
Old 07-28-2010 | 09:15 AM
Ispeed
Drifting

I have done the catch-up maintenance and restoration on 2 928 S4's and it can be a lot of stuff. They are durable cars when they have been caught up, but I would wonder if a decent 944S2 or 968 would be easier to own.

If you didn't mind having an automatic, there are some bargains to be had. The '83-'88 had a tall final drive that makes highway driving feel sluggish unless you are 85+mph, so an '89-'91 a/t are better drivers.

If you don't mind doing all your own work, a person could own a 928... But if your time is limited you are screwed. When all the maintenance is up to date, they are easy to own, but getting there is a bit of work.
Old 07-28-2010 | 10:08 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Apples and Walnuts....

928, Nice GT car, can be tons of fun to drive and own, not so fun on the wallet at times..
944, Nice sport coupe, tons of fun to drive and own, not so fun on wallet at times..

this is where the simillarities and..

You are making a comparisson between a V6 mustang and a Hemi Charger... 2 different animals, buth fun to own, but different..

Only advice I have is buy the BEST example you can, or be prepared to pay thru the nose to make the one you get as nice as you want it to be!
Old 07-28-2010 | 10:38 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

I'd expect most 944s to have had the rubber-centered clutches replaced by now.
Old 07-28-2010 | 10:54 AM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Agree that the clutch has most likely been replaced with an updated unit...or is in desperate need of a clutch anyway. A dampener is something used to moisten one's self. With that said, the 944 would surely be easier on the wallet, but a 928 would be reasonable as long as you are into DIY. Good luck with your search. It can be the best part at times.

Welcome, Josh
Old 07-28-2010 | 11:09 AM
kingston944
Racer

One thing I like more about the 944-2 is the dash, I like it much better then the 928 dash . I also dream about a 928, love that V8 power and sound, but think my next Porsche will be a boxster. I think that the LS1 conversion would be cheaper to maintain then a 928 in the long run. But no LS1 in my car yet but dream of that as well . But if I was going that route I think I'd buy one already completed. Only my thoughts . Good luck my friend.
Old 07-28-2010 | 12:46 PM
racer
Drifting

As long as you find an example that has not endured owners and owners of deferred maintenance, I imagine the two are similar. But that's the key. No one want to pay over lets say $6K for a nice, well maintained NA 944.. and hence, they usually end up dropping $2K for various repairs. So 944s get driven down on price and stay there.. so when one is for sale cheap, the owner doesn't always realize that holy S.. $2k for a shop to do my clutch? $1500 for belts and water pump? Eff that.. the car only "cost" me $2k.

The other falsehood is to believe that a fully maintained car has been "invested in".. ie.. for sale is my 944.. over $2K invested.. well guess what.. that $2K invested doesn't translate into $2k in extra resale value.. its a double edged sword.

All that said, if in equal condtion, the 944 should be cheaper to maintain. But big ticket items for both are pricy.. Both are old.. so "saving" money with one over the other may not be much in the long haul.

While non-interference motors are nice.. most can find used 944 motor (when they do fail) for $500.. so its not like spending several thousands to repair a 32V 928 motor.
Old 07-28-2010 | 12:56 PM
bowerbird
Instructor

[QUOTE= A dampener is something used to moisten one's self. [/QUOTE]

oops
Old 07-28-2010 | 03:39 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you break a timing belt on a 928 you can always buy a 928 motor and swap it also, maybe not for $500 but maybe $800-$1200.

928 maintenance and repairs are not really a huge deal unless you get a bad car or bad work. 944, same story. The 928 timing belt at least has an auto tension maintainer (and the optional PorKensioner that improves that feature quite a bit) so if you are not hugely neglectful the belt is no problem.

Get the car that really "speaks" to you, save and search a long time if you have to. Search nationwide. My 928 is from MN, my 968s are from WI and OK, I drove them all home to CO after purchase. The cost of maintenance and repairs IMO is not enough of a big deal to matter compared to the cost of buying a car you did not quite want.

-Joel.
Old 07-28-2010 | 04:01 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

I own a 928 and a 944 turbo. I love both of them pretty equally. They are different in ways, but also similar. Feeling the power surge when the tubo kicks in on the 944, I don't think there is any way on Earth I could own a n/a 944, but I really like going fast. If you are more into the handling aspect, and don't really have to have the motor behind it, then maybe a n/a 944 would be a good choice. I just couldn't imagine my car being as much fun without the turbo giving it the acceleration. Some of you n/a guys may disagree, but for my dollars, if it has 4 cylinders, it better have a turbo or a supercharger on it. Anyway, you can get into a very nice, fairly sorted 944 turbo for $6-7k. I got into mine for way less, but had to fix some things like the a/c, fuel pump, and brakes. My advice is to drive any and all examples of each model that you can (in all price ranges). Then you can not only see the differences, but feel them as well. Even if you cannot afford a $15k 928 or a $12k 951(944 Turbo), drive one so you will know how a prime example should run and feel. Same for 944's, 924's and 951's. I know this statement will probably get me in hot water, but if I had to drop down to one vehicle, I'd keep my 951 and the 928 would be on it's way to a new home, but that's a very big if (and I'd sell the Cherokee and Ranchero first anyway ). Good luck with finding something in your price range and that will satisfy your requirements for P-car.
Old 07-28-2010 | 05:32 PM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
You are making a comparisson between a V6 mustang and a Hemi Charger... 2 different animals, buth fun to own....

WHOA......BACK THIS TRAIN UP!!!!

What exactly is "fun to own" about a V6 Mustang?

Unless it comes with the high school girl that drive it, I'm missing the point
Old 07-28-2010 | 05:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cole
WHOA......BACK THIS TRAIN UP!!!!

What exactly is "fun to own" about a V6 Mustang?

Unless it comes with the high school girl that drive it, I'm missing the point
Pitty sex OR letting them think they are bringing you round to the other side of life...

OK, go down to Hertz, rent a V6 stang, run it in first until it bounces off the rev limiter... tons o fun.... car never ran right after that though... but it will do 65ish in first..... on the highway....
Old 07-28-2010 | 06:12 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
OK, go down to Hertz, rent a V6 stang, run it in first until it bounces off the rev limiter... tons o fun.... car never ran right after that though... but it will do 65ish in first..... on the highway....

That does not sound fun for the owner You said they were fun to own. Not just rent and abuse.

Quick Reply: 944 or 928? which is kinder to its owner?