Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What wipers do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002 | 04:10 PM
Probesport
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by AndyK:
<strong>I HATE Rain-X! I found that when you do use the wipers, you get an oily streaky film on the windshield. And it's really hard to get the Rain-X off once it's applied.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Acetone will take it off perfectly, also a good way to get yoru windows really clean once or twice a year - just dont use it on tint...
Old 09-27-2002 | 04:36 PM
doyle
Racer

Since I am a Honda mechanic, I put on a set of Honda wiper blades. They fit perfectly, never streak, and never chatter. Just size up the ones that best fit the windshield. Nothing like nice, clear, quiet wipers.

doyle
Old 09-27-2002 | 05:34 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by AndyK:
<strong>I HATE Rain-X! I found that when you do use the wipers, you get an oily streaky film on the windshield. And it's really hard to get the Rain-X off once it's applied.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The only time that's ever happened to me was when I didn't buff out the RainX enough so there was extra on the windshield. Could also have been oil from following some POS... I do suppose that everyone has their preference.

I love the stuff and apply is religously.
Old 09-27-2002 | 07:40 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Pep Boys often stocks a product called Strip-It that wil remove Rain-X. It is a smurf-blue paste that you spread on wet,let it dry, and polish off. Like old time window cleaner. It leaves the glass squeaky clean. I think it's a mild abrasive.

I use Rain-X sometimes. The problem I have with it is that the rain drops seem to break into tiny little rain drops and the winshield gets covered with a so may small droplets that it appears fogged.

I prefer new blades, no Rain-X, and a windshield cleaned with Strip-It. Big drops quickly wiped away cleanly with new blades. But as the blades get older, I use Rain-X.
Old 09-27-2002 | 07:45 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by sm:
<strong>how would you tighten the wiper arms?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think this got answered before the thread turned onto Rain-X... pop the little pastic caps off the lower (pivot) end of the arms, tighten the nuts under there. You may still find a little play afterwards; the splines in the arm may be worn, and you'll need new arms (hopefully not shafts).

I also recommend Hans' solution for chatter & lifting....add just a tiny tweak of bend to the arm so it holds the blades tighter to the windshield.

But I have yet to find a brand of blade that I really like for both non-streaking & reasonable life, and I've tried 'most all of 'em in ~37 years of driving.

Jim "Eperience is a wonderful thing. It lets you recognize a mistake when you make it again."
Old 09-27-2002 | 09:54 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

FWIW Rain-X won't work well unless you REALLY clean the windshield. As for chattering, springs are mainly an issue with vibration at high speed. The chattering is usually a matter of popping the cap off the base of the arm and tightening the nut in there.

Three years ago, Rain-X still didn't work very well on my 83 because after 16 years, the windshield was pitted. How's yours? Then, a tree broke it in a freak accident (long, wild story) so I had to get a new windshield.

Well, regular wipers slide like silk now. Even when it's dry. Rain-X makes them slide even better over the smooth glass.
Old 09-27-2002 | 10:14 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Just to add some confusion:

I have new wiper arms, and bosch blades. They chatter at low speed but not high speed. Any ideas?

And yes, my old blades didn't work past ~65mph. But my new ones work great up there.

Edit- see above

Quick Reply: What wipers do you use?