Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staggered Phone Dials

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 10:19 PM
Porschemunkey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many times has someone said, "Its not the car, its the driver." or "He/she can sure drive the wheels off of that car."?

I haven't auto-x'd yet because my car hasn't been capable of handling the stresses. Next week, after two years of scrimping and budget-based repair, it will finally be ready! Now I get to find out if my ability to "feel" a car move around me will translate into the ability to drive the car quickly and smoothly around a course. Its a steep learning curve.

Thanks for the cornering tutorial... I'm off to adjust my rear tire psi now!
P-munkey
Old 04-03-2002, 12:18 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
What's up Eric, this is Ahmet (1.2gees) from Pelican...

I don't see much wrong with running different diameter wheels in the rear. Many production cars with good weight distribution do this. It's used to aid in rotation, by mounting tires that have a lower aspect ratio in the rear. This can be used to decrease the steering angle (response) tolerance before slip occurs. Basically a tire with a lower aspect ratio (even if it has the same absulute height on the sidewall)will slip earlier vs. the same aspect ratio. Ofcourse there are many variables...

BTW, although I really enjoy responsive feel of relatively narrow tires upfront I'd consider going to something a tad wider up front. I really enjoyed 225/50/15s up front (Yoko AVS is a great tire at this size). I'd recommend Bridgestone RE-730s in the rear. I think that would be a neat look on your car btw.
Ahmet
Old 04-04-2002, 01:51 AM
Porschemunkey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Ahmet! Glad to hear you're still running with the P-crowd! Are you working at Pelican parts?

I've got a question for you... Can I put 968 anti-sway bars on an early 944? The front bar measures 30mm in the important parts, but I don't know what it measures at the ends, it tapers down to fit a bushing for the control arm popsicles. I show 4 sizes of bushings available as 20 and 21.5mm depending on vin, as stock (for 944) and available 23mm and 26.5mm bars for the Turbo and M030 option! I don't know the measurement for the rear bar, I've just got a dinky stock one back there now (I think its 14mm). My Porsche Technical guide shows an 18mm available for Turbo and "S" models and a 20mm for M030 Sport package. I think I remember the 968 showing a 22mm rear bar at one time

The question is, will most of these bars interchange readily, given the right bushings? If so, I'm getting the 968 bars ASAP! I can get them for $50 each! I DON'T LIKE leaning... Do you think Energy Suspension makes some bushings for the 944/968s? I know having the bars too stiff will make the car skittish over bumps, but I've still got very stiff shocks front and rear and could use, in my estimation, a stiffer spring rate... Got any lower/stiffer front coils laying around?

Check your tire listings Ahmet, Yokes are no longer available in a 225/50-15 from Tire Rack (although I'm sure there's some floating around somewhere). In fact there's only 1 tire even close to affordable and that's the Dunlop SP8000.
This is a good reason to jump to the 16" in the rear: available tires!

Did you ever find Cookie Cutters for your 84? I've got my new 23.3mm Phone Dials in the garage now. Polishing to ensue shortly...
Eric aka Porschemunkey

Quick Reply: Staggered Phone Dials