Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Much brighter instrument lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 01:21 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts
Post Much brighter instrument lights

I managed to activate my airbag warning light while trying to improve the output of the panel lighting in my 1989 S2. At least I succeeded in getting more light. I think if you have the airbags you want to disconnect the battery before fooling with the instrument cluster. I'll remember to do that next time. :-)

There are three V-shaped plastic parts on the bottom of the cluster that conduct light from the bulbs and project it onto the faces of my instruments. The reflective coating on them was in bad shape, so I covered the plastic with aluminum foil to replace the mssing reflective coating. This helped but what helped more was finding brigher bulbs. I thought about using contact cement but ended up just using quality duct tape, which also protects the foil during reinstallation.

I also replaced the stock 2 watt bulbs with Sylvania 3652 5 watt lamps, which really helped. I'm a little worried the heat will be a problem, so I will have to check them in a while and see if the housing is melting or turning yellow.
The gauges are a bit brighter than the climate control panel, which is OK with me. There are some 3 watt bulbs out there, but I like the brightness level I get with the 5 watts.

I bought the 3652 lamps at Checker Auto (same as Schucks or Kragen.) You can get bulbs of the same spec from GE but offhand I don't know the part number.

I was tempted to experiment with white LED's but this works so well I'm happy, as long as it doesn't melt stuff.

-Joel.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:30 AM
instigator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
be carefull with putting higher wattage bulbs in, i did exactly what you did and the plastic that the bulb holder cam into started to melt and i lost my contact and then no light on all of them.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:39 AM
David G
Advanced

Amen, instigator, I did the same on my first 944..5 watters'll melt the housings! I did do the foils (shiny side in) on my last one, it helped considerably, though the greatest improvement I saw was the white-faced gauge dials. For some reason, they were way more legible at night..just my .02!
Old 03-06-2002, 01:41 AM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have read of people melting things in the panel with 5 watt bulbs.....I did the 3 watt and they are fine.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:50 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I should have my LED's finished this week. I am having a problem with some shadows from the LED's light pattern. I will have 9 of them in there by the time it is done. They will mount in the reflector, shining directly on the gauge faces. I tried them in groups of 3 in the stock bulb holder and using the reflecors. The color was nice and white, a hint of blue, but it was not bright enough.

Having them shine right on the gauges will make the perfect amount of light if I can find a way to make the light dissolve better. I'll let you all know.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:10 PM
lou951
Instructor

In some of those rice magazines they sell those neon-like light strips for interior accenting. I assume that a small enough light bar can be placed in front of the gauges where the light is emmitted from in the stock cluster. I have to stop by my local rice store and check it out. I don't know how bright they are and I guess that something could be rigged for dimming purposes. Hhmmm.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:34 PM
Outlaw952
Instructor

Will just any auto shop have these bulbs? Does anyone have a part number for the 3W bulbs? Also, someone mentioned changing out the gauge faces. I was thinking about doing this too, but I had the chance to try taking off the gauge needle on a busted speedo, and I pretty much wrecked the needle. Any advice as how to go about doing that? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:12 PM
bs
Pro

perry, i don't know where you got your LED's from, but if you go through a big electronics supply house like <a href="http://www.digikey.com/" target="_blank">digikey</a> or <a href="http://www.mouser.com" target="_blank">Mouser</a>, they will have a spec for each LED as to the width of it's beam pattern... you might just want to try ordering LED's with a wide veiwing angle; that will spread the light out considerably. Oh yeah, you could check <a href="http://www.newark.com" target="_blank">Newark</a>, they have the most ridiculous selection of everything, but their prices are equally ridiculous and i don't think they will express mail you a catalog like digikey will. maybe because their catalog weighs like 15 pounds.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:46 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
My best friend works for Newark..... I get it at cost.

I have tried 3 diffrent bulbs, and all do not have a wide enough pattern. The issue is that there is a select amount of Super White bulbs. IF I did it in blue, or red, I could have 100's of diffrent light patterns. I am attempting to make a diffuser panel to go over the bulbs. Should be done this week.. I hope.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:58 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts
I pulled the 5w lights based on your replies. thanks! I installed 3w lights, GE # 194xl (the XL is for long life, 4x life.) I bought the bulbs at Wal Mart. There are lots of other 3w bulbs in this configuation, I saw some at Autozone, I don't recall the part numbers but the wattage was indicated in one of the part numbers... like w3w. The 194 is a common sidemarker lamp so it should be everywhere and cheap.

With the repaired reflectors, the 3w lamps are adequate and don't look overly bright compared to the rest of the car. I'm happy, or will be when I reset the airbag light. Then I just have to do motor mounts, front brakes and rotors and the oil pressure sender. Oh, and the oil, oil filter and air filter, lube job... tires...

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Much brighter instrument lights