Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet Dye

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 12:42 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Question Carpet Dye

Well my interior restoration continues, or rather my interior swap. I have a mostly complete black carpet set that I'm going to try get a bit more uniform. As it sits now it is a bit blue in some sections. Do any of you know of a good carpet dye?

I have used other dyes on some of the interior pannels w/ very good luck and am hoping to find someing as good for the carpets.

Thanks all
Old 04-01-2002, 12:53 PM
turbopop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I was trying to dye my cashmere carpet to black to match some black seats I installed. I did some research and tried a number of dyes and none worked. I thought it would be easy, but I could not find a product that would permenantly dye the carpet. Even RIT, which I use to dye color into plastic Lacrosse heads did nothing. I ended up keeping the carpet color as it was.
If you have a small piece to do, there is a leather/vinyl spray paint at Walmart that also lists carpet on the can, but I can't see how it would get down deep into the pile.

Good Luck.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:11 PM
JGriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by ian:
<strong>Well my interior restoration continues, or rather my interior swap. I have a mostly complete black carpet set that I'm going to try get a bit more uniform. As it sits now it is a bit blue in some sections. Do any of you know of a good carpet dye?

I have used other dyes on some of the interior pannels w/ very good luck and am hoping to find someing as good for the carpets.

Thanks all</strong><hr></blockquote>

Did you ever find something that worked? I'm curious, because the carpet in the back of my S2 has faded somewhat to a bluish color also.

I was thinking of the same... trying to re-dye it myself, if possible.

Did you ever try calling a carpet shop or an upholstery place? I may try that angle...

Thanks.

Jim
Old 06-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Dragging this thread up...
Old 06-15-2003, 10:28 PM
dave120
Drifting

That Wal-Mart carpet dye actually works pretty well as I used it to dye a faded "blue" hatch carpet back to jet black. You're right though it's tough to get it down deep it, so you have to kinda spray it from several angles and then I went over the whole thing again once it dried. I used like a can and a half on just that hatch carpet but that may have been overkill, I dunno.

It does leave it nice and sticky when you get done, but just wash it (or run your hands over it a lot, lol) and its good as new. I haven't had any problems with it as of yet. It also works pretty well on vinyl stuff too
Old 06-15-2003, 10:32 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Wow this is and old post....

Anyway, I did find something from this company

<a href="http://detailking.goemerchant7.com/" target="_blank">http://detailking.goemerchant7.com/</a>

all I did was get some bottles of thier black dye, cleaned up my carpet through it down with a regular spray bottle, let it dry, sprayed again and I had black carpets again it was great....

Too bad right now i'm thinking of pulling all my carpet up in the interest of saving a few lbs...
Old 06-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm sure you'll find a buyer for good carpets.

I'm glad I dragged this up, my hatch is almost Atlanata blue in places...It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look great.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:12 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SEM carpet dye is good. Applies in 'spray paint style' aerosol cans. It's kinda pricey ($8 a can?) but good stuff.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:30 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

What did you use for the Vinyl dye ian? I have parts of my doors that are chalky white. I don't know what the hell happened, it almost looks like the car got re-sprayed and overspray got on the interior of the doors, and I'd like to fix it.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I HATE overspray. Tryin to get a spot off my passenger glass...looks like a fingerprint on the inside tint...If I were a cop, I'd run the prints and pull that guy over daily. Revenge.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:04 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Mark,

I found something for the vinyl in excellence, they had been running adds and I gave them a shot and it worked well, I can't speak to the longevity of the product see how the car caught on fire shortly after the interior swap.....

Quick Reply: Carpet Dye