Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gamble time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Korsair970
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gamble time?

So I'm looking at a non running 944 right now. Going to see it in person soon, but the guy says he bought it non running 2 years ago, did a head job, new injectors new shocks, fuel filter, alternator, crap like that. Obviously it gets fishy as to why you'd dump a lot of parts into a car and not get the damn thing running.

So what issues could I be looking at? I'm horrified I'd buy it and find it had the belts go and destroy the valves and stuff. I'd be way over my head at that point. I'm gonna try and get the guy to let me tow it to Zim's Autotechnik and have them check it over, and give me a place to start working.

So what should I be looking for? I've re-read the 944 FAQ, and my biggest concern is checking that the belts didn't go (how can I look for the resulting valve damage and all?) what else should I be looking for in a 944 that doesn't run?

I'm taking a bunch of engine and automotive classes at a local community college to fill up required credit hours during the fall, and I'll be employing the hands-on approach to learning, but I'd like to avoid going from fix-er up project to engine swap... even if I wouldn't mind dropping a 944s engine in there instead...

I have a small window of opportunity as a friend is in town that can tow it for me... I'd love to snag a cheap 944 project to work on over the fall, but I don't want to get in over my head and never see it run without giving up and going to Zims for a lot of dough...
Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 PM
kobayashi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would first take a look at it and see if it turns over. Just by trying to start it up will tell you a bit about what is wrong.

Some common starting problems for spark are the engine crank sensor and maybe even a dead DME. You can pull a spark plug, ground the threads to a grounding point and crank the engine. Obligatory disclaimer is that the spark can be very dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Problems for fuel have been pump or relay for me. You can do a quick check on the fuel by taking off the fuel rail cap, placing a cup under the end and jumpering the fuel pump relay. You should be able to hear the pump kick on.

Another thing to do is a compression test of the cylinders to see if any valves are bent.

Good luck. I got lucky and bought a 944 that didn't start and it was mainly the DME.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Korsair970
Advanced

So just got off the phone with him, an 86, he had it running, went to school, came back it wouldn't sart, got a new head and got a Porsche shop to work it up and did some more stuff, then he ended up buying a Turbo and decided it wasn't worth finishing... I'm taking a look at it tomorrow morning with my dad, and I'll keep what you said in mind.

if it looks like a good summer/fall project I'll have my buddy tow it to the house or Zim's on tuesday.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Chubbs
Advanced

I assume since you are talking about going to zims, that you are in the DFW area. I'm in the area as well, and would be happy to help you take a look at it, if you would like.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:53 AM
Korsair970
Advanced

That'd be awesome if I wasn't checking out the car tomorrow morning before rushing off to work... If it's looking good, I'll see what my time frame is and try to have a willing Rennlister come with me before I buy it or soemthing like that.

And yea Chubbs, I'm in Flower Mound/Lewisville, car's in Richardson. I'd love to tow the sucker over to Zim's and to my house but it looks like I'll get one chance. Unless a Rennlister is up for letting me buy them gas?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Korsair970
Advanced

Well first car was kinda bust. Interior and paint are in bad shape, but it would make an awesome Track or 944 spec car. But... I'm not looking for that If anyone's looking, the kid got a new 944 and has to get rid of that one so he'll let it go for a good price.

The other one I took a look at in Richardson is pretty iffy. It runs, but it's rough and smokes a lot.

Car is an '86, Approx 70,000 miles. sat for a while before current owner got it running. Paint is rough, but might be buffed back as opposed to needing new paint. Interior is rough but usable. In the 5 minutes my dad and I drove it the passenger mirror glass fell off and shattered and the sun visor broke off... so that didn't help my dad think any better of the car.

Owner is asking 2,600, but it's clear he's just selling off some of his projects, and my dad says he wouldn't pay more than 1,300 considering it's someone's on and off project that they probably just got running enough to sell. I'm really interested in it, as it does run, and it's about as much project as what I wanted. But that's if the guy will let it go for what I'm willing to pay, and my dad's point is it will need 2-5 grand to get it into reasonable shape, while I might find another that's actually worth 2 ish grand that is a lot closer to being in decent drivable shape.

So if you've survived my rambling this far, I'm really iffy on this car... I'm not buying it for what he's asking. Maybe 1300 at most. So I'm not sure it's worth even asking a Rennlister to take a look with me. Unless someone's really close to Richardson or really willing to get another 944 on the road, I probably won't pursue it any further.

Well if anyone knows of a 944, preferred Guards red 86 with a black interior, running but in need of some work for about $2-3, let me know.

EDIT: I forgot to bring the camera and my phone's not even worth taking pics, so no pics sorry
Old 07-07-2010, 11:26 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Korsair970
Well first car was kinda bust. Interior and paint are in bad shape, but it would make an awesome Track or 944 spec car. But... I'm not looking for that If anyone's looking, the kid got a new 944 and has to get rid of that one so he'll let it go for a good price.

The other one I took a look at in Richardson is pretty iffy. It runs, but it's rough and smokes a lot.

Car is an '86, Approx 70,000 miles. sat for a while before current owner got it running. Paint is rough, but might be buffed back as opposed to needing new paint. Interior is rough but usable. In the 5 minutes my dad and I drove it the passenger mirror glass fell off and shattered and the sun visor broke off... so that didn't help my dad think any better of the car.

Owner is asking 2,600, but it's clear he's just selling off some of his projects, and my dad says he wouldn't pay more than 1,300 considering it's someone's on and off project that they probably just got running enough to sell. I'm really interested in it, as it does run, and it's about as much project as what I wanted. But that's if the guy will let it go for what I'm willing to pay, and my dad's point is it will need 2-5 grand to get it into reasonable shape, while I might find another that's actually worth 2 ish grand that is a lot closer to being in decent drivable shape.

So if you've survived my rambling this far, I'm really iffy on this car... I'm not buying it for what he's asking. Maybe 1300 at most. So I'm not sure it's worth even asking a Rennlister to take a look with me. Unless someone's really close to Richardson or really willing to get another 944 on the road, I probably won't pursue it any further.

Well if anyone knows of a 944, preferred Guards red 86 with a black interior, running but in need of some work for about $2-3, let me know.

EDIT: I forgot to bring the camera and my phone's not even worth taking pics, so no pics sorry
2-3K CAN find you a lot of 944 these days.. I paid 4K for my N/A with 62K on the clock 3 years ago, and 3200 for my 951 a year and a half ago... N/A has since needed a clutch and suspension, the 951 is a whole other story (currently under the 3rd or 4th mod knife right now)

Watch E-bay, and keep trolling, look that car over with a fine toothed comb, these cars are cheap to buy, but not so cheap to maintain... try to find one with a recent clutch, or be prepared to spend 1-2K after buying...

The most expensive 944, is often the cheapest one... that works BOTH ways...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/1785157538.html
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Korsair970
...I'm horrified I'd buy it and find it had the belts go and destroy the valves and stuff. I'd be way over my head at that point. .....

don't buy it. If bent valves are over your head don't even try. For me bent valves are an easy repair. It just a head change. That can be done in an afternoon at a race track. Your potential downside is much worse than bent valves (ie rod knock).

I have bought 2 non runninng 944's in my time. Both I did engine rebuilds on before driving them. One needed it due to severe coolant mixing and the other might have been ok without it. I bought another 944 for parts that was running, and even had a fresh head and water pump on it. I did not rebuild that motor, but should have. I later learned it had cracked piston rings. Not a big deal, but I should have rebuilt it.

Also prices paid for my 944's

84 944 junker turned into a race car - purchased 1999 - $1400 - Non running, bad paint, bad interior, motor need rebuild, gearbox needs rebuild. - Yeah I pretty much spent too much on a shell. Oh well I have gotten my money's worth from the tub and motor after I rebuilt it.

83 944 - Parts car - Purchased 2003 - $1200 - Running, but not well. bad paint, ok interior. Fixed up enough for cheap to street drive and autocross. Later learned motor had cracked rings.

88 924S - parts car incomplete - Purcahsed 2005 -$340 - Not running former engine fire. missing a few engine accessories, Good value since I sold the $16 wheels on it for $250 and white on black gauges for $40. Car cost me $40 after that. - Motor is in my race car now post rebuild.

Sold - 84 944 with 78k on it. Show car pristine - 6 time concour winner - Sold back to original owner for $4600 in 2005.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Chubbs
Advanced

As these guys have already said, don't spend much on a car that needs work. The cost of repairs dictates that poor examples just aren't worth much. Having said that, I'm still happy to help you look one of these over if you decide you need a hand.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:23 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

as always, great posts... post number 3 is, of course, the deal killer. read your post. a shop was faced with turning a repair into a "project" in order to get the engine to work and due to whatever circumstances, they fell short of the goal.

there must have been a good reason. so, it's a parts car until the owner proves otherwise.

the country is in a depression. you tell anyone selling a parts car that the '80s ended 20 years ago and the world has moved on. high school kids flipping burgers are driving "evos," but you'd be willing to do him a favor by paying 500-800 dollars for his trouble --

and you strip it.... there's a lot of parts to take off the car that you can use in the future.

then you wait, and start reading all the threads. learn everything you can about the cars and you'll be ready to make the commitment of caring properly for a running example instead of daily driving it into ruin.

eventually, you can do a simple rebuild of a decent running car, (one that might not require machine work on the block or crank, but doing all the bearings, rings, seals, timing system, valves, h20 pump... everything) and then setting your sights on either keeping the car cared for or even doing more.

whether you're just keeping a car clean, restoring, or modding, you'll find every interpretation of Porsche here, and have a blast with the car.

Quick Reply: Gamble time?