Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant System Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Coolant System Capacity

I’m planning to replace my thermostat and flush the coolant system.

I have all the parts and will take it to a shop that has the right tools to remove the retaining clip.

Because I live in LA I’m thinking of replacing the coolant with distilled water and water wetter only.

My question is, what is the cooling system capacity or how much distilled water do I need to purchase?

Thanks in advance…
Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 PM
krystar
Drifting

just get 5. it's cheap. $0.89/gal at walmart
Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 944 loves VOSS & Bling H2O water. And when she's really good, I give her Acqua di Cristallo Tributo a Modigliani @ 60k per bottle.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:50 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

OK, to be on topic, system capacity is just under 2 U.S. gallons.

AND straight water is fine as long as it doesn't drop bellow freezing!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood

AND straight water is fine as long as it doesn't drop bellow freezing!
AND if you like replacing you water pump prematurely because you have no lubricant. AND if you like foaming over if you happen to have anything left in the system that will foam and no longer have any anti foaming agents in there. AND if you like not having any anti corrosives in the system.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto what Daryl said.

Definitely use a good quality coolant and dilute with distilled water. Porsche sells what I believe is rebadged Pentosin.

At any rate, your aluminum silicon engine will be exposed to whatever coolant you put in there, so make sure it's safe for aluminum engines.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

From the 2010 PCA rule book...

"Drivers of water-cooled cars should be aware that anti-freeze is a slippery substance and consideration should be given to using water only, a reduced concentration of anti-freeze, or an anti-freeze substitute."

I have heard that some tracks will not permit Antifreeze to be used on the track, although I have never encountered this.

Antifreeze serves several purposes, It Lubricates (can be offset by using water wetter), it RAISES the boiling point of the water, it also LOWERS the freezing point, it has corrosion inhibitors, and a bunch of other chemicals that serve to protect the engine and prolong the life of water contact components.

Can you run straight water (which I believe was the origional question)? YES, MANY folks who run their cars on the track are using straight water and / or water wetter... I do not care (neither do racers) about stupid water pumps... I replace mine anually anyway (but then I drive TONS of miles on each of my cars)

At the end of the day, Water is fine to run by itself, better to add some Water Wetter (as you origionally indicated you would like to do) IF you don't live in an area that sees high ambient temps, below freezing, and have not seen any elevated running temps you will be FINE. Do it and report back on your "premature water pump replacement and foaming..."

Keep up with your routine maintenance, I do timing belt and water pump anually, but like I said, I drive more miles than the average bear (I have put almost 5K on my N/A in the last 3 weeks.. that is more than some folks drive their cars in an entire year!)

YMMV, BB, IMHO, just do what you want to do, and have fun...life is too short!

ALSO FWIW... https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...mp-pca-de.html

I am sure the rules will be changing, and more and more folks and tracks will start to prohibit use of antifreeze on the track... Could have been exacerbated to driver skill level, but was caused by Antifreeze on the track!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:23 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Can you run straight water (which I believe was the origion question)? YES, MANY folks who run their cars on the track are using straight water and / or water wetter... I do not care (neither do racers) about stupid water pumps... I replace mine anually anyway (but then I drive TONS of miles on each of my cars)
The original question was about system capacity, and he indicated he was planning on using water wetter.

You obviously understand in theory why one should run antifreeze or water wetter based on your post, even though you curiously seem to think that the only thing that will be negatively impacted by running straight water is the water pump.

Can't run antifreeze on the track? Fine, it's a track car. Who cares. But nothing the OP said leads me to believe this is a track car. Am I missing something?

I see no reason whatsoever to NOT run either antifreeze or water wetter in a street car. In fact, I'll still stand by my opinion that it's a bad idea not to. For all the reasons you indicated in your post.

I guess I'm confused as to how or why you would be giving out bad advice when you seem to know better.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

You're correct, I'm planning to use water wetter and that's it.

Does the water wetter provide the lubrication necessary or do I need to include antifreeze?

The 944 in question is strictly a street car in LA.

Thanks again...
Old 06-26-2010, 01:25 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Severian

Does the water wetter provide the lubrication necessary or do I need to include antifreeze?

Thanks again...
All of the quality water wetters I've seen include anti corrosives, lubricants, and anti foaming agents and are made to be run either with or completely without antifreeze. Check on what wetter you are buying and make sure it does what it needs to and you ought to be just fine.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:31 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DarylJ
The original question was about system capacity, and he indicated he was planning on using water wetter.

You obviously understand in theory why one should run antifreeze or water wetter based on your post, even though you curiously seem to think that the only thing that will be negatively impacted by running straight water is the water pump.

Can't run antifreeze on the track? Fine, it's a track car. Who cares. But nothing the OP said leads me to believe this is a track car. Am I missing something?

I see no reason whatsoever to NOT run either antifreeze or water wetter in a street car. In fact, I'll still stand by my opinion that it's a bad idea not to. For all the reasons you indicated in your post.

I guess I'm confused as to how or why you would be giving out bad advice when you seem to know better.
OK, Now you are arguing sematics...

He SAID he WAS THINKING ABOUT running water wetter and water in place of his coolant, AND asked about capacity.

I answered his question FIRST (in post #4) and added straight water was fine as he had already indicated he was going to use the water wetter with the water.

I apologize to all the renngods if they read too far into my original post, because I DIDN'T include the reference to the water wetter, I felt it didn't need to be included as the OP had already indicated he was going to run WW with the water, but came across as apprehensive about deleting the anti-freeze.

WTF is wrong with this place these days.... I guess 5 was a better answer, or perhaps VOSS and Bling H2O....

I was asked why I dropped off the list for MONTHS.. now you have answered that question for me, and too me at the same time... I will now NOT post ANY answers for anyone, no matter how idiotic the initial responses have been!

I will only lurk, and laugh, and feel smug in the knowledge that I know how to use google, or open a user manual, or open a FSM...
Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Severian

Thanks again...
no. water wetter is not designed to be a lubricant.
That said, there is ZERO reason you can't run distilled water and a bottle of WW.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

BTW, I ran straight distilled water in my 86 951 as well as all of my other cars for the last 20 years and have NEVER had the slightest problem.

ps Oil foams. Water boils...duh!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:54 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ehall
no. water wetter is not designed to be a lubricant.

No, not all of them have lubricants. Which is why I told the OP to look for a qood quality one that does.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Severian
Rennlist Member

Thank everyone!

I'm convinced that running distilled water and Red Line Water Wetter is the way to go.

That I don't need anti-freeze in LA.

Thanks again...

Quick Reply: Coolant System Capacity