Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone been to, or live in the Portland area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 05:38 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone been to, or live in the Portland area?

I am considering moving to Portland within the next year or so for my employer and I'm testing the waters. How is the area? Any Pro's or Con's that you guys can state would be helpfull. Any good wrenches in the area, parts availability, driving events, etc... Anything Non-Porsche related would be appreciated too. Thanks,
Old 04-11-2003, 06:19 PM
nixwiz
Instructor

Don't know about it from a P-car perspective. But my in-laws live there, so we go up there quite often. It's a nice place, especially with the proximity to the NW pacific coast areas. Though it's vastly different terrain and weather wise from the AZ desert. It reminds me a lot of Cincinnati when I lived there. If all goes according to my wife's plans, I'll probably end up there eventually.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:16 PM
KeithMcd
Intermediate

The weather is not as bad as most people think, although coming from AZ...
The Oregon chapter of the PCA is quite active with DE's, driving tours etc. I see several 944's in my neck of the woods (In the sticks) so finding a mechanic shouldn't be a problem.

Keith
Old 04-11-2003, 07:31 PM
JLeake
Racer

I lived in Portland and loved it. Lot's of character and tons of outdoor activities readily available. Good food, wine tasting, and so forth. $90 tickt to SF. Short trip to Vancouver or Seattle or Mt. Hood or the coast. Weather is dreary in the winter, but I only think I had to use an umbrella twice (lived there 15 months). Summers are gorgeous. Basically it kicks ***.

Plus you've got PIR there.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
If you can live with the "People's Republic of Portland" political climate and a state income tax, Portland is decent. It's a lot like Seattle... both climate and politics... but the weather tends to be colder in the winter and warmer in the summer since you are farther away from the water. Don't expect to see the sun very often for 4 months at a time during the peak winter months. You get used to it... or at least most people do.

PIR is a decent race track and has some good events. Beaverton is nice, and that's where Sunset Porsche is located. They have a very active PCA chapter.

Of course there's great hiking and skiing at Mt Hood, beautiful scenery, etc... but I'd say there's even more weirdos than in Seattle. You know, the WTO riot tree-hugger types. Probably not as many in Portland itself since that's obviously more urban, but get out in the boonies or, heaven forbid, go near any college campus and you'll see what I mean. Ralph Nadar got lots of votes in 2000.

Personally, I think the Seattle skyline is prettier... Portland tends to look a bit industrial when you drive through with all the bridges and waterways, but it's still a nice place and far better than most places back East IMO, especially if you like the outdoors.

All of my comments are mine and may not coincide with reality. As usual, YMMV
Old 04-12-2003, 01:11 AM
Tabor
Drifting

I live in Portland. I like the weather, and the mix of people. Despite what Tom may have you think a full 33% of the people in the Portland Metro area vote conservative. I kindof like the rainbow of political views that you find around Portland. The further away from town you go, they more conservative you get.

I live very close to Beaverton, very close to Sunset Audi Porsche. Their is a good independent parts house called Discount Import Parts that is also in Beaverton.

Their are a couple good shops. One that comes to mind is MotorSports International. I have a friend who used to take his Porsche 924 there, and I have had them do a little work on my 944 (I do 95% of it myself).

Their are both PCA and SCCA events at PIR, but I haven't been paying too much attention since I went back to school full time.

Oh, and on the West side of Portland, you are about 1 hour away from the coast, and it is a pretty nice drive.

Quick Reply: Anyone been to, or live in the Portland area?