Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I regret moving to an early 944?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Can't have both
You might consider doing a dash swap. A lot of work, but plenty of early owners wish they had late interiors -- I'm sure you could find a donor for the parts, maybe arrange an even swap.

Might be a bit confusing for a potential future buyer, though. "You did _what_???" LOL.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
late cars definitely feel fatter, they show their weight like joel said

It doesn't take much to make a 85.5 and later car feel more "raw". Reduce a little weight, switch out to manual steering rack. Maybe beef up the suspension a bit. In the end you have a better car with a much better interior.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:42 AM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arominus
Yeah, i found that out the fun way last year, its the only thing that seriously annoys me about the early dash. Got caught in a freak mega downpour with a bunch of steaming hot chick fil a for my co-workers. Couldn't see a damn thing, had to pull over and wait for the defroster to do something :P
That's happened to me in the 924S before, minus the chicken. Next time just reach up and wipe away at the fogged up windows. Problem solved...

I actually find that less painstaking than having to sit and wait for the defroster system to do something.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the styling on my 924S dash, but I agree the climate control isn't ideal - my windshield got pretty fogged up in a heavy downpour a couple weeks ago. I think part of that though might be that my A/C isn't in great shape. Fixing that (including a conversion to R134) is on my to-do list. I can't say for sure, but I do think that part of the early cars' bad rap for their HVAC system is because relatively few early cars have HVAC systems that have been meticulously maintained in good order - indeed a lot of people with the early cars just pull the A/C out entirely
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the "retro/spartan" feel of my 924s but i am building it as sort of a 924s clubsport (can i call it a 924scs ???) the a/c is gone, the power steering is gone, the emissions system is gone, its got MO30 sway bars, coil overs, and a 4pt bar.

the only thing i didnt like about the early interior was the steering wheel, shift ****, and boot so i replaced these:

if i were shopping for a 944 that were going to be more of a "street" car, i would want the late interior. done up right, the late interior looks better than some new cars.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're going to go old, go brown or tan-keep the retro look with those early eighties colors.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:50 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say for sure, but I do think that part of the early cars' bad rap for their HVAC system is because relatively few early cars have HVAC systems that have been meticulously maintained in good order
It would take an hour to heat the 944 cabin in winter. Using high fan speed only drew ambient air. You have to turn down the heat in modern cars after half an hour.

Heating isn't a matter of maintenance- in these cars, it's simply a matter of having a blower fan and a heater core with hot antifreeze.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 PM
*bj*
Instructor

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i like the "retro/spartan" feel of my 924s but i am building it as sort of a 924s clubsport (can i call it a 924scs ???) the a/c is gone, the power steering is gone, the emissions system is gone, its got MO30 sway bars, coil overs, and a 4pt bar.
Nice one, how did you go about installing coilovers, did you do both front and rear?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by *bj*
Nice one, how did you go about installing coilovers, did you do both front and rear?
thanks.

yes sir, front and rear. i bought the kit from paragon. it came with instructions for the front and for the back i just used the clarks garage write up for torsion bars to get them out and then bolted on the rear coilover. its pretty easy. the only hard part was removing the torsion carrier after the bolts were out (that thing fits VERY sung)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 PM
*bj*
Instructor

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
thanks.

yes sir, front and rear. i bought the kit from paragon. it came with instructions for the front and for the back i just used the clarks garage write up for torsion bars to get them out and then bolted on the rear coilover. its pretty easy. the only hard part was removing the torsion carrier after the bolts were out (that thing fits VERY sung)
Cool, do you have a link to the kit? I always thought our early cars required a heap of modification to install rear coilovers!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:17 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by *bj*
Cool, do you have a link to the kit? I always thought our early cars required a heap of modification to install rear coilovers!
the 924s has late rear arms. here is the kit.

if you have other questions, feel free to pm me. i dont want to go too off topic.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:34 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowline
It would take an hour to heat the 944 cabin in winter. Using high fan speed only drew ambient air. You have to turn down the heat in modern cars after half an hour.

Heating isn't a matter of maintenance- in these cars, it's simply a matter of having a blower fan and a heater core with hot antifreeze.
really? I've actually never had any issues with the heat in my car, and I've driven it in practically subzero temperatures. My problems have mostly been on the other side of the spectrum - getting the interior cool in the summer!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:04 AM
1985porsche944
Intermediate

I would say I have not had any problem heating the interior of the car. In fact My friends would complain about it getting too hot even when the fans were off or on very low. Also to point out like everyone else did while the side vents are basically useless the center vents work decent. I even burn the tips of my fingers when they are next to the vents.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed on the heat. That was the first complaint I've seen of lack of heat in one of these. Thingbird- where did you get the sift boot?
Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike C.
Agreed on the heat. That was the first complaint I've seen of lack of heat in one of these. Thingbird- where did you get the sift boot?
Classic 9 (aka 928 leather)

http://www.classic9leathershop.com/

Quick Reply: Would I regret moving to an early 944?