Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas in the oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Gas in the oil

I checked my oil yesterday and had to add about a 1/2 quart. (not unusual) When I took off the filler cap I noticed what looked like condensation on the inside of the cap, when I smelled it I found out it was gas not water. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only real way for gas to get in there is if it's blowing by a pistion ring I would think. If so I would tend to believe it would be burning a lot of oil more than just getting some gas in the oil pan.

I know it's very common for you to get coolant in the oil & oil in the coolant though if the oil cooler seals are leaking. You sure it's not coolant?
Old 05-05-2003, 02:31 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All cars have blowby, (gas fumes). That is what the PCV does, vents these back into the intake. Now, this is why it is imperitive that you CHanGE the oil every 3000 miles or every 3 months. This is causing damage to your engine. If you are getting this earlier than that. You need to have a leakdown and a compression test done to your engine. Compression test bad.. rings, Leak down test valves and head bad...
Old 05-05-2003, 03:11 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

I have about 1500 miles on the last oil change & filter. I will look into getting the compression test and leak down test. Thanks
Old 05-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how many miles are on the car? Might be a cylinder's getting bad compression (bad rings). A bad valve would cause poor compression due to a bad valve seal or backfiring, but that wouldn't put gas in the oil I wouldn't think. A compression/leakdown test would tell you if it's time for a rebuild though.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:20 PM
osu944
Instructor

funny thing: i used to work at an autoparts store. guy brings in a bucket of oil. he tells me "dude i got metal stuff in my oil and it smells" turns out he bought the car from an auction for like 200 bucks. engine was blown. metal in the oil was the rings and part of the cylinder walls. yea....i thought it was funny. he just wanted to change his oil and didn't know what kind to use
Old 05-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

The car has almost 180k miles on it so I am thinking that bad compression/rings might be the cause. I am going to double check and make sure its not coolant (oil cooler seals haven't been replaced I don't think).

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:48 PM
Jerad
Pro

Skitch, another possibility is leaky fuel injectors. This happens when you shut the car off and fuel will continue to drip from the injectors. Does the car crank for a while before it finally starts? If so, it is most likely leaky injectors and you will need to have them rebuilt or replaced.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would say leaky fuel injectors and the car isn't driven for long periods of time, if it was, it would evaporate.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Could be that the car is flooding a bit before it starts or it didnt start sometime recently and a whole lot of gas filled the cylinders while the engine was cranking. That extra gas has to go somewhere, and the gas that doesnt escape into the exhaust stays in the cylinders and eventually leaks past the rings and into the crankcase/oil.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:19 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Another possibility is that the Fuel Pressure Regulator has failed in a mode where the system is over pressurized. In this case you'll be able to hear the fuel pump running constantly when the car is running, the car will be hard to start, gas consumption will be high, but the car will run like a scalded dog if you can get it to go.

This happened to me once several years ago. One of two times the car left me stranded in 20 years of daily driving. Had to change the oil because ther was so much gas in it.

Also, I don't think the 944 has a PCV valve.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:55 PM
Skitch
Rennlist Member

I have a local import shop that "specializes" in VW and Porsche but haven't taken the 944 there yet. Whats a reasonable price for a compression and leak down test?

Thanks for all the replies. (I was thinking about sending the injectors in to have them cleaned and balanced anyway)
Old 05-06-2003, 07:21 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 83na944:
<strong>Another possibility is that the Fuel Pressure Regulator has failed in a mode where the system is over pressurized. In this case you'll be able to hear the fuel pump running constantly when the car is running, the car will be hard to start, gas consumption will be high, but the car will run like a scalded dog if you can get it to go.

This happened to me once several years ago. One of two times the car left me stranded in 20 years of daily driving. Had to change the oil because ther was so much gas in it.

Also, I don't think the 944 has a PCV valve.

Good luck.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hmmmm, Very interesting. Sounds some what similar to the problem I have from time to time. Car starts OK first thing in the morning but after a spirited ride up 95, about 6 miles, if I shut down for a minute to go into a 7-11, when I try to start it sometimes takes alot of cranking. Milage wise I'm getting arround 16 plus in city and 18 highway. Car is quite spirited for a n/a. As far as the fuel pump running all the time, isn't it supposed to as it is the only fuel pump on the car? I can hear mine running when it is quiet, it runs steady.
Anybody else ever have this problem?

Thanks,
Bill.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Bill, that's just like what I had in my ex-S. Took the injectors to a local Bosch shop where they cleaned them up and replaced some seals... end result 101% better, no warm start issues ever since and the car ran much smoother. Wasn't even expensive! I recommend you try the same.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Swedeboy
Pro

Agreed...sounds like leaking fuel injectors. Don't get new ones - just have them cleaned at a local raceshop for $50-100.

Don't forget to coat the injector seals with a bit of oil before putting them back in to avoid damaging the seals.

Quick Reply: Gas in the oil