Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 944 Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:28 PM
volvoguy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rust consists of a 1inch square spot at the bottom right of a rear light. Looks like it was caused by water dripping off the light. If a scratch penetrated the tin, couldn't the steel rust?

I didn't make it clear in the first post, but I'm looking for a project. I don't want a turnkey car. I want something that i can work on. I love the satisfaction of putting something back on the road with hard work and patience.

Car is early style, unfortunately. I'm probably going to go look at the car, but if something seems fishy I certainly won't buy. Please excuse my ignorance. I'm used to a very different kind of car.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by volvoguy
I didn't make it clear in the first post, but I'm looking for a project. I don't want a turnkey car. I want something that i can work on.
There is no such thing as a turnkey 944. _Every_ 944 is an on-going project, and even the best examples are relatively high maintenance cars.

But there are worthwhile projects and losing proposition projects. The car you are looking at has all the hallmarks of the latter.

Get a good solid example, and start from there improving it. It will keep you more than busy even just keeping a car in good condition in good condition.

Which is why you see so many ill-maintained 944s that are basically now just junk, unfortunately. I think you've found one. You would be astounded to know how much time and money you could pour into one of those babies, and still end up with a car that's more or less worthless.

Why do you think people often literally give them away? An under-maintained 944 is a liability, not an asset. You will be behind the eight-ball from day one, and you'll never come close to catching up.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Have a look and see if it's right for you. If you are doing your own work - there is no reason to walk away from a perfectly usable car at a reasonable price.

I bought one 10 years ago that sounds very similar to the one you will be looking at (though mine is an 85.5). It needed a lot of work. I figured the $1000 entry fee would be worth it. Since I have done all the work on it ever since - I would say I did get my money's worth.

The rust was starting to get bad a couple of years ago. Fortunately a shell came up for sale here (Rennlist) for $100. I went and retrieved it with the plan to transfer all the bits off my car when the rust became a major issue.

A dumbass driver beat me to the punch. The car got rear-ended a month ago. Nearly everything but the shell is salvageable. I'll be very busy bringing this car back to life - but I feel it is worth it.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Here's a shot from a few months ago...
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2010, 02:41 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is all price dependant..

If the PO is looking for a project car.. why not pick one up not running and needing some body work...
Old 06-16-2010, 02:44 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

If you do end up buying it, you can come over to Nelson Ledges and join everyone at 944 fest this weekend. Or heck; even if you don't buy it, come join the fun anyway.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the club. The 944 will be everything your volvo isnt. Get ready for the rollercoaster ride. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows. She is like a girlfriend...she will tak all your money. lol
Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kevsporsche944
Welcome to the club. The 944 will be everything your volvo isnt. Get ready for the rollercoaster ride. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows. She is like a girlfriend...she will tak all your money. lol
It is the go fast part vendors for my 951 that take all my money, but they give suck good stuff in return!

N/A, take care of the maintnance and wear items and they are good for a good long time.. yes there are flukes, but mine has been good to me, and I to it!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 PM
volvoguy
4th Gear

I decided not to buy the car. I didn't even go see it. The stuff y'all said started to sink in, and I realized that I might be happier with the money in my pocket right now.

A friend of mine has an E32 750iL lowered with aftermarket bilstein coilover setup...and he's looking to sell. I might see if he'll swing me a deal.

Best to you until I can afford a 911!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

If you got it cheap enough ($500 - $700) it might be worth it as a project car but the rust would concern me. I think you made a wise decision.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

Didn't mean to scare you. I have had my 86 944 since new and it has never given me much trouble. The timing belt is a pain in the *** as well as the pocket book.
I love this car so much I'm looking for another.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Project 951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevsporsche944
She is a girlfriend...she will take all your money. lol
fixed
Old 06-17-2010, 01:29 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by volvoguy
... I do expect some maintenance to be necessary. Is touch-up paint available after I repair the rust?

I'm very much looking forward to being a 944 owner, and to contributing to this forum....

the guys here know more about the cars than you can imagine, and i'm hardly one of them...

you could easiy spend $ 8-25 K getting that which turns, lights, breathes and leaks inside the engine bay, brakes, suspension ready for daily use, another $ 3-7 K can easily be spent on the interior, and another $ 4-8 K on the body depending on where you want to go, and how much you are willing to do yourself...

do the proper refresh on the engine... for about $ 3-4 K and soon you'll be having electrical problems (car from the northeast ? forget it).

this is a not catastrophe waiting to happen, as long as you're prepared to spend the money and strip this car to the bone (down to the tub), to do the bodywork properly.... WHY ? because in the first few years of ownership you're going to put so much $$$ into the car anyway.....

otherwise, consider purchasing the car for PARTS ! -- again, tearing it down to the bone... including the all the suspension, (everything), brakes, torque tube, clutch, transmission, glass, wipermotor, ECM/DME, DOORHANDLES... and store the parts for your NEXT CAR... the tub can be dragged onto a flatbed for recycling.

Next, go to the southland, and get a nice car -- one that requires little more than a respray, as, any decent car from the south will have no rust whatsoever (due to the oem galvaniite electrocoating on the cars)...

you got a lot of god advice in the previous posts. and now you'll have a wealth of parts... GOOD LUCK.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

now now...don't run from 944's in general, just look for one that doesn't have an average or below ranking in all the major areas! If you can find a car with a gorgeous body and pristine interior, but a crappy engine, go for it! Or if the paint is shot but the car runs like a top and has tons of recent maintenance you've found a great project car. These cars become a problem when everything kind of gets left to itself and deteriorates. When the whole car starts to lose it's luster you'll be looking at constantly trying to catch 3-4 different AREAS of problems. If you pick up a car with a solid mechanical history and it's still being driven (key point there) it will treat you much better than a car that's been lazily taken care of and not really driven much...

don't give up on us yet! you just haven't found the right one yet!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:21 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

you can always "hotrod" the NA 944 to get the car to "0-150-0" in less time than it takes to mop up the oil slick in your driveway --

(bypassing the oem engines altogether) is a great way to make friends too !

Quick Reply: Buying a 944 Tonight