Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purely hypothetically, what would a pristine interior be worth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purely hypothetically, what would a pristine interior be worth?

I'm getting the "itch" which is usually a bad thing. I've hit a development threshold with my 944. It's got all the goodies I need to have a track day monster that's still livable on the street. There's not much I can do now to enhance it as a street/track hybrid.

I know the conventional wisdom is that you don't build a race car, you buy one, but at this point, I'm just a stone's throw away from a race car (strip it, cage it, add the safety bits, and go race), and its the 22 year old devil-that-I-know versus the 22 year old devil I don't know.

My interior (black) is truly pristine. No cracks on the dash. All body panels are complete and blemish-free. The clock works! So the smart person in me says don't mess with it. Make this a 944 "survivor." But the less smart person says that I can strip this car and make a pretty penny selling the interior as a unit to someone who wants to make their 944 into a survivor. Heck, it may pay for the remainder of my race car conversion.

So, just to have a datapoint, what would be a fair value for a pristine, complete(ish) interior? The only parts lacking are the original front seats. I have replaced them with Recaro SRD recline/fold seats, and they could go with the interior or I could sell them separately (I've got two people lined up already).

Last edited by Potomac-Greg; 06-09-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:15 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i think it will vary greatly since so much will depend on finding someone looking for a pristine all black interior. you would probably get more doing it piece at a time, door panels, individual seats, dash, carpeting, console.

If i HAD to throw a number on it... maybe $1500 if sold broken up. a little less to try and move it as a complete interior.

I could be way off base, but thats my guess, especially since black is so common... if it was script seats, or full leather option etc. etc. it would go up from there
Old 06-09-2010, 02:20 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

During my restoration, I've found that the least expensive parts are (by far) the interior parts. Without the seats, I'd guess under $1000.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

i stripped my 924S last winter to turn it into a DE car and the only reason i did it was it was a ****ty interior. Moldy carpet, cracked dash, non working clock etc...I've worked on clean interior 944's and as tempting it was to rip the interior apart for a real cage i couldn't get myself to do it. If you really wanna strip it knock yourself out but you're entering a whole new world (removing sound proofing and other unnecessary objects).

As far as price goes it depends on what you got like apierce said but i would think the seats are the most valuable part of that interior. If you plan on trailering the car i would go with a fixed back seat like the Hans Recaro if not the SRD is a great seat to use for street/track use. Also if your talking about building a true racecar and not just a trackcar i think your better off like you said buying somebodies else's mess than starting your own.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:25 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you pull it all out, let me know.... as I don't need no stinkin seats, but dash and carpet in the N/A are in need of love!

BUT I highly doubt it will cover the finishing of the race car, much less the cost of the tubing for a cage...
Old 06-09-2010, 07:49 PM
racer
Drifting

I would ask, unless you are actually going racing (and removal is encouraged by the sanctioning body) why remove it at all? Droving a car on the street w/o an interior is loud and annoying, imho. That said, it sounds like you might be going NASA?.. so out it comes.

Seats are worth the most. Rest as mentioned, maybe 1K. There doesn't seem to be a large market for used interior bits yet. If you have the room, you could just store it and sell it when it is worth more.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Old carpet is still old even if the surface looks good. It can rip easy when being removed. It sounds as if you have a really nice car now. Buy yourself a striped out car and build a race car. Go on ebay and check what interior pieces are selling for now. That is the best indicator of what you can expect to get for your stuff. A dash with no cracks sold for $300.00 not too long ago, but it is still a 20+ year old dash. If your itch gets too bad buy a large bottle of Poison Ivy Lotion and smear it all over your body.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 06-10-2010, 02:08 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Old carpet is still old even if the surface looks good. It can rip easy when being removed. It sounds as if you have a really nice car now. Buy yourself a striped out car and build a race car. Go on ebay and check what interior pieces are selling for now. That is the best indicator of what you can expect to get for your stuff. A dash with no cracks sold for $300.00 not too long ago, but it is still a 20+ year old dash. If your itch gets too bad buy a large bottle of Poison Ivy Lotion and smear it all over your body.

Cheers,
Larry
true

my carpet looked perfect but i tore it in two places putting in my bolt in roll bar. it doesn't look bad, but its not perfect anymore.

i just started doing a full track/street hybrid build on my car and so far i love it. it may not be the best it could be in either environment, but it will do well in both and looks great in the process.

Quick Reply: Purely hypothetically, what would a pristine interior be worth?