Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924 Martini & Rossi Championship Edition (questions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 924 Martini & Rossi Championship Edition (questions)

This weekend I am going to look at a local Martini edition 924 for sale. I know about the exterior stripes, white wheels, no sunroof, special red/black interior, and sway bars... is there anything else special about this car??

Also, what are they worth these days? Apparently this one is in pretty nice condition. I saw it about 4 years ago and snapped a few pictures, but didn't really get a GOOD look at it, at the time.

Basically I'm just wondering what the deal is with these, how rare they are, and if it is worth buying for whatever the price ends up being.

Another question... would I be banished in eternity for lowering the car and converting it to 5-lug, as well as possibly swapping in a 944 motor or some other unspeakable modifications?

Again, these pictures are from 4 years ago. The car I am going to see this weekend is the same car, hopefully kept in as good of condition or better!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:11 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

Porsche’s first limited edition 924 was the Martini Rossi, factory order number M426. The cars were built from December 1976 till March 1977. It started selling in the spring of 1977.

The car is distinguished by:
red/white/blue Martini Rossi stripes along the sides
Front and rear sway bars
Leather covered steering wheel
White painted alloy rims
Scarlet red carpet with matching fabric inlays on black vinyl seats along with
Martini Rossi stripes on the headrest

The E19 option which signified the car as a Martini Rossi included:

White rims
Scarlet pile carpet
426 Special Model World Champ
404 Front and rear sway bars
432 Lateral stripes Martini
565 Leather steering wheel
568 Tinted windows and heated rear glass

Of all the 4 speed Audi gearbox 924’s this is the one to have!!
http://www.924.org/models/Martini.htm
Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 AM
kombatrok
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are cool little cars... I would imagine that any mods would reduce any value it would have due to rarity/history etc...

What is that decal that says Porsche in front of the 924 decal on the back, ive never seen that before. Is that a 924 thing?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:33 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

yeah its a 924 thing. its an actual badge.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:09 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

nice, hope the car still looks that good. Personally, I won't object if you wanted to lower it and do the 5-bolt conversion. Swapping the 944 engine in, however, will be a major pain - you'd really be better off getting a 924S and adding stripes and red carpet

If you want more power, I'd suggest adding a turbo and a 937 intercooler to the 924 engine. Turn up the boost, and you'll have more hp than a 944 engine anyway
Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by white924s
If you want more power, I'd suggest adding a turbo and a 937 intercooler to the 924 engine. Turn up the boost, and you'll have more hp than a 944 engine anyway
Not even remotely worthwhile, and very difficult on the "doability" scale for a '77 NA motor.

Mr. Drifter, the value of the car is anyone's guess. There wasn't really that much to distinguish the car; essentially every 924 "special edition" package was some combination of cosmetics and slightly improved suspension. Having said that, an all original M&R might command marginally more than a similar-condition non-special-edition car. If the car is in concourse condition, it might justify something north of $5K just due to the increasing rarity of these cars.

Having said all of that, if I were interested in buying a time piece like this one appears to be; and if I were interesting in having a concourse type of car; the only modifications I would perform would be ones that could be easily undone so I could put the car back into original condition for the day when I might want to turn around and resell it. Doing the five lug conversion is one of the things you could easily do for your own enjoyment, while setting aside all the original parts and putting them in storage for later return to original configuration.

The 77 2.0L NA motor for the US market was severely impaired. Tiny valves, low CR pistons, and oppressive emissions controls conspired against really early 924. So you will almost certainly be underwhelmed by the engine's performance, even if it is in top notch condition.

However, the only engine swap that makes any sense to me would be to find a late model 2.0L NA motor, build it up with Euro spec or custom high compression pistons, put on a European Motorworks big valve head, a nice set of headers, to achieve something like a 130-140 BHP normally aspirated motor. Once you have it built and ready to install, carefully remove the original motor, prep it for storage and hang onto it so you can put the car back to orig spec later. If you wanted to go down this path, I can help you source all of the necessary components for the 2.0L engine modifications.

You can't easily convert the 2.0L NA motor to a 931 setup, there's really very little point in attempting it. You'd be better off buying a complete 931 donor motor, rebuilding it, and swapping it in. However, doing so will require changes to the fueling system, a complete functioning 931 CIS setup (or an EFI conversion), and modifications to the wiring harness, all of which would erode the value of what this car potentially is. And I would forget about any type of 2.5L swap. Not that it can't be done, but if you really wanted to do that kind of project, IMO, this M&R is not the right candidate for that kind of project. Just my $.02.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Hey, if you DO get it, I have all of the parts needed for an early 5 lug conversion that I'll give to you for super cheap. You're in Orlando, too... about 100 miles away from me!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Alright cool... Great info guys, thank you!

If I do for some reason pick up this car, my overall plan would be to just make it really cool and more unique than it already is. I want people to recognize the fact that it's a Martini special edition, but also take note that it's been tastefully and purposefully modified. The 2.5 swap was just the first thing that came to mind, but I agree that it just wouldn't be the easiest or right thing to do.
What type of bolt-on modifications are available for those old 2.0 motors that aren't super expensive? I'm not looking to make it a beast, just something a little more fun to drive around town with. I am waaaay more familiar with the mechanics of the 944, as well as the market also, but a total newb when it comes to the 924!

On top of that... what, if anything, can I convert from a 944 suspension to this 924? If I am not mistaken, the rear suspension is all the same as an early 944 except for the torsion bars themselves, hubs and brakes, right? Could I remove the front suspension and swap the entire front suspension, hubs and brakes off a 944?

Thanks again for the replies, I am still pretty new when it comes to these 924's.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Forgot to ask... does anyone have some pictures of these cars? It would be cool to have some to compare to.

I think the seller is going to be asking 3k. From what he describes over the phone, it is in very nice condition mechanically, but the exterior paint is starting to show a little age. I will take some pictures of the car this weekend and then report back. As of right now I don't know if 3k is a good or bad deal.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:03 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Yes, basically, any 1983-1985.5 944 or 1986-1988 OR any 1980-onward 924 or 931 with the M474 suspension package would be a suitable donor for doing the 5-lug swap. Here's a writeup I put together over on 924board.org with several cross references:
Illustrated Guide to 5-lug Conversion

As for the 2.0L motor, there aren't really many bolt on mods that will have a significant impact. The biggest problem with the 77 is it has tiny valves. As noted above, the best package would be higher comp pistons, a big valve package, and a header. That would make a really nice package, or you could even do it in stages (hint: do the head FIRST as this is the biggest constraint on the 2.0L). You could also swap on an Audi 5000 big bore throttle body. It doesn't increase power, but it does improve throttle response and make the car a bit more fun to drive (but also impacts fuel economy).

Here's another thread I compiled on 2.0L performance mods...it's a bit lengthy, but comprehensive:
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=25795

Feel free to continue posting or send me a PM if you'd like to discuss further.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

ideolas reasearch + 1

hey if you do go 5 stud, theres nothing topping you getting similar 8 spoke wheels and painting them white!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:06 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ideola
Not even remotely worthwhile, and very difficult on the "doability" scale for a '77 NA motor.

Mr. Drifter, the value of the car is anyone's guess. There wasn't really that much to distinguish the car; essentially every 924 "special edition" package was some combination of cosmetics and slightly improved suspension. Having said that, an all original M&R might command marginally more than a similar-condition non-special-edition car. If the car is in concourse condition, it might justify something north of $5K just due to the increasing rarity of these cars.

Having said all of that, if I were interested in buying a time piece like this one appears to be; and if I were interesting in having a concourse type of car; the only modifications I would perform would be ones that could be easily undone so I could put the car back into original condition for the day when I might want to turn around and resell it. Doing the five lug conversion is one of the things you could easily do for your own enjoyment, while setting aside all the original parts and putting them in storage for later return to original configuration.

The 77 2.0L NA motor for the US market was severely impaired. Tiny valves, low CR pistons, and oppressive emissions controls conspired against really early 924. So you will almost certainly be underwhelmed by the engine's performance, even if it is in top notch condition.

However, the only engine swap that makes any sense to me would be to find a late model 2.0L NA motor, build it up with Euro spec or custom high compression pistons, put on a European Motorworks big valve head, a nice set of headers, to achieve something like a 130-140 BHP normally aspirated motor. Once you have it built and ready to install, carefully remove the original motor, prep it for storage and hang onto it so you can put the car back to orig spec later. If you wanted to go down this path, I can help you source all of the necessary components for the 2.0L engine modifications.

You can't easily convert the 2.0L NA motor to a 931 setup, there's really very little point in attempting it. You'd be better off buying a complete 931 donor motor, rebuilding it, and swapping it in. However, doing so will require changes to the fueling system, a complete functioning 931 CIS setup (or an EFI conversion), and modifications to the wiring harness, all of which would erode the value of what this car potentially is. And I would forget about any type of 2.5L swap. Not that it can't be done, but if you really wanted to do that kind of project, IMO, this M&R is not the right candidate for that kind of project. Just my $.02.
I stand corrected. I had assumed that the 924 and 931 used the same blocks and interchangeable heads, in which case the mounts and torque tube would line up, but I guess there were some other factors that I had overlooked.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:23 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Alright cool... Great info guys, thank you!

If I do for some reason pick up this car, my overall plan would be to just make it really cool and more unique than it already is. I want people to recognize the fact that it's a Martini special edition, but also take note that it's been tastefully and purposefully modified. The 2.5 swap was just the first thing that came to mind, but I agree that it just wouldn't be the easiest or right thing to do.
What type of bolt-on modifications are available for those old 2.0 motors that aren't super expensive? I'm not looking to make it a beast, just something a little more fun to drive around town with. I am waaaay more familiar with the mechanics of the 944, as well as the market also, but a total newb when it comes to the 924!

On top of that... what, if anything, can I convert from a 944 suspension to this 924? If I am not mistaken, the rear suspension is all the same as an early 944 except for the torsion bars themselves, hubs and brakes, right? Could I remove the front suspension and swap the entire front suspension, hubs and brakes off a 944?

Thanks again for the replies, I am still pretty new when it comes to these 924's.
i vote you do a 5 lug conversion, konis, and lower it (a must on 924s) on either black (w/ pollished lip) fuch wheels or black (w/pollished lip) basket style bbs wheels. keep it clean, simple and period correct.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

ideola - awesome information... thank you! I will certainly keep you posted on my findings after I see the car this weekend. If you don't mind I may need your help deciding whether the car will be worth buying or not. I will take as many pictures and squeeze as much info as I can about the car and it's background.

As for wheels... I really don't mind the original white 8 spoke wheels that came on the car... I even have a spare silver set of those in my backyard for some reason. The thing I don't like however is the suspension and brakes, which is why I am considering the swap. I have a very nice set of all white 5 spoke wheels that I think would look reeeeeally good on the car...
Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by drift a 944

All you will need to do is drop your rear end, and replace it with an early 944 rear end. It will bolt up just fine. Again, I have the rear end if you want it, as well as the front hubs/spindles and A-arms.

Quick Reply: 924 Martini & Rossi Championship Edition (questions)