Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lindsey boost enhancer WITH manual boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Zipps
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lindsey boost enhancer WITH manual boost controller

Since a manual boost controller allows the maximum boost level to be pre-set ( in my case 15psi ) and the Lindsey Boost Enhancer merely allows that boost level to be reached in a shorter amount of time, then why do some people suggest NOT using the LBH with a manual boost controller and a dual port waste gate ??????? Am I missing something ? I sample boost pressure right at the intake manifold with a T at the banjo fitting. One side of the T is the boost gauge the other is the line to the LBH. As far as the intake / combustion chamber are concerned 15psi is 15psi all day long, right ? Who cares how fast that pressure is reached before the waste gate opens. The lindsey boost enhancer works awesome so why not use it with any type of controller or wastegate ???
Old 06-08-2010, 04:35 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think of a MBC or an EBC for that mater, as an on the fly adjustable LBE... they do the same thing, just in different ways.

Not to mention the LBE is designed to be used WITH the factory cycling valve, the MBC and EBCs are REPLACEMENTS for the stock cycling valve setup.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:17 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

With a dual port wastegate and a tee style MBC, you get both effects with a single device. Simply plumb the bleed off line from the MBC into the top port of the wastegate. The bleed-off pressure from the boost controller is used to hold the spring in place, effectively performing the function of the boost enhancer. The stock 931 wastegate (same as the 930) is a dual port setup, and this is how I will be plumbing in MBCs on several of my 931 projects.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Zipps
Track Day

Default LBH used with MBH and dualport WG, API chipset

Ok then why does the car just seem to pull so much harder sooner with the LBH installed ?? Same max boost level setting--15psi. I've driven the car both ways. Turbo seems to be so much more effective with the LBH in there. Why ????
Old 06-08-2010, 07:08 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

The MBC will gradually reach its' set point, the LBE is an on off switch.

I.E. MBC (pressure regulator) with bleed pressure BELOW the set level, the LBE will stay shut to it's set level...

If the MBC NEVER sees less than ,oh lets just say, 10PSI it is only going from 10PSI to 15PSI to be full open, if no LBE the MBC is seeing vacuum all the way to 15PSI.. and the wastegate is fluttering before it opens fully

The car isn't pulling any harder, it is just hitting the WG open point all of the sudden... as opposed to the WG partially opening earlier.... this is a sure fire way to get engine killing boost spikes IMHO... but I could be wrong...

What type of instument are you using to monitor your boost level?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Zipps
Track Day

Default LBH with manual boost controller

Well in any case I'll leave out the boost enhancer out of the system since I am installing newer mods with my new head gasket this week. BTW, I did ask the same question over the phone with D Lindsey a few years back. What I got out of that conversation was "you don't need to use the LBH now since you have a DPWG but I guess you can leave it in there if you wanted to ".
Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Cuz it's got electrolytes!

Quick Reply: lindsey boost enhancer WITH manual boost controller