Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting my 1988 951 S build, opinions welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:52 PM
BryO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re

Did you get this car in Ohio?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

pull the carpet in the hatch and get a glimpse of the real color before changing it. my velvet 89 951 was pink on top an dburgandy on the bottom from sun fade. you may actually like the original color. velvet was a pretty deep rich color that should look even more brilliant with a urethane compared to the water based it left the factory with.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 PM
mhpd31
Intermediate

I tracked down the previous PO, and he also stated that it was a special order S in that color combination, so I am a happy camper. He also advised that he had replaced all the suspension parts with new ones shortly before he sold it to the guy I bought it from, so the suspension is approximately 2 years 5,000 miles old.

Updates so far, got the air conditioner charged, blows cold, works great! Pressure washed the under carriage, and found my power steering leak (unfortunately its the rack itself). Put on the new rims, and gave it an over all cleaning! Just waiting on my little boxes of goodies to really get started.
Attached Images      
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 PM
mhpd31
Intermediate

Did you get this car in Ohio?
Yes I got the car in Dayton Ohio.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:37 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Very pretty car and a great color.

Looks like you've gotten a lot of valuable opinions and are on the right track.

Have you have as much fun on yours as I'm having on mine.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:07 PM
mhpd31
Intermediate

Thank You, I got a lot of inspiration from your build (quite impressive). It's great to see someone so throughly restore such a fine car, regardless of cost. Mine will not be nearly as nice as yours when complete, (still have 3 kids at home, one of which is in college=broke) but she will be as well loved!

As far as enjoying the build, I thought seriously about buying TechnoDucks car (as he really did a nice job on it) but I decided I wanted to build one myself so I can learn these cars and know every inch of the car when I am done. I guess we will see how wise that was in 6 months. LOL!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... Somebody has some seriously nice toys. Bruce
Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 PM
944CS
Drifting

A tasteful paint job done correctly will only help the cars value, the Turbo S isn't a highly sought after collector car.
I would upgrade the downpipe as well and make sure to have it ceramic coated. If you are changing the turbo, you might as well take off the headers and remove the heat shielding on the 2-3 header to verify you don't have any leaks, chances are you do. It could have a substantial crack and you wouldn't be able to hear it because of the wrap and shielding Porsche put on the headers. There is also a nice weld bead that protrudes into the runner that you can get rid of while the headers are off. This is located where the runner meets the flanges for the cylinder head.

Then ceramic coat them and the crossover. I've found Jet Hot 2000 is up to the task in a 944 Turbo and works well. You're engine, vacuum, and coolant lines will thank you for this.

Also Lindsey now has Silicon coolant hoses that are extremely reasonably priced, I would go with those.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:24 AM
mhpd31
Intermediate

Wow... Somebody has some seriously nice toys.
Yeah I just wish they were all mine! Just the 951 and the black Charger are mine. Eberything else belongs to my uncle or his customers. His baby is the Green SuperBee
I have had the Charger since I was 16, it didn't quite look like that back then, imagine bad paint, hub caps, and white T-shirts for seat covers LOL!

the Turbo S isn't a highly sought after collector car
It may not be right now, but I have a feeling that may change in the future! I can still remember about 20 years ago I had a 1979 Porsche 924, A buddy of mine had a superbird, he begged me to trade, and I laughed at him. Now its a 150,000.00 car. My point is the classic car market is driven by the car every boy salivated over in high school, but could never afford. As that generation comes of age they find and restore that dream car and the value matches the demand. I don't know about you guys, but the first time I saw a 951 sitting on the showroom floor, it took my breath away Show me a kid in the "Miami Vice" era that didn't dream of a 951, guess what, we are coming of age!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhpd31
Show me a kid in the "Miami Vice" era that didn't dream of a 951, guess what, we are coming of age!
Not trying to burst any bubbles here, but didn't kids of the "Miami Vice" era dream of having a nice white Testarossa?
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2010, 12:28 AM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sTyleR
Not trying to burst any bubbles here, but didn't kids of the "Miami Vice" era dream of having a nice white Testarossa?
Yes. And I will when I find the right one! That is a beautiful car.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:23 AM
mhpd31
Intermediate

LOL, I was wondering how long it would take someone to point that out! Don't forget the Daytona.

I know they didn't drive a 951 in the show, but I couldnt find a better way to describe my generation!

BTW, is it just me, or is there something magical about being in a 951 at night, the top out, the street lights reflecting off of the hood, and "I can feel it coming in the air tonight" comes on the radio?!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well the Daytona Spider in the show was a replica, but I guess people still dreamed of having one....

And I understand what you're saying. I think the 944 will be a classic as well, and not just 951's. The design has stood the test of time well, especially the later model cars. I'm not sure if every other Porsche has the same type of mystique, but I've gotten quiet a few compliments while driving around and filling up my cars, especially in the 944S2. The only thing about that is, everyone thinks it's a Turbo.
Originally Posted by mhpd31
and "I can feel it coming in the air tonight" comes on the radio?!
Oh man, now I know what I'm missing on my soundtrack. THANKS!

Quick Reply: Starting my 1988 951 S build, opinions welcome!