Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Differential for a V8 944

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Luke714
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited Slip Differential for a V8 944

Hello,

This is my first post on this particular forum, looks like there is a lot of great information. I have an 86 951 in which I'm putting an LS1. It will be road legal, but not a daily driver so I don't care too much about harshness. At this point I want to get into track events and more Autox, this car will be the start of it all I hope.

I really want a diff, my car does not have the LSD option installed so I've got to choose what I want and what I need. There are a lot of posts and threads on here that talk about this and I've been doing a lot of reading and learning. TonyG and others seem to know a heck of a lot about the different options. I understand the basics and the difference between torque biasing vs. limited slip and generally how they behave. My problem is that there seems to be completely conflicting opinions on which route to take, some people love the Quaife units, others say they're a waste of $. Some love the stock LSD that comes with some 944 trannys, some say they're garbage.

I have $1800 budgeted for a diff, but I would prefer to keep the price lower than that. I plan on running 295's in the rear and I've beefed up the tranny to take the power and rubber. I've installed the reinforcement plate, I'm using a solid tranny mount and I'm bracing the entire tranny from the crossmember.

What would people recommend I do? I like the driving characteristics of a clutch type (limited slip) but am worried that the stock unit will not hold up to v8 power. Are there any other options besides Guard, Quaife or the Stock LSD, can the Stock LSD hold up to the power? Are there any places that have some stock Porsche LSD's in stock? The cheapest place I can find a Quaife is 1800, are there ever any used units around? However, I'm worried Quaife wouldn't cut it for track use (but it could take the wear and tear). I'm going to call Guard Transmission to see what kind of prices they have, but I expect they're out of my budget. Also, is it advisable that I install the unit myself. I'm an engineer and handy with a wrench but I'm worried I'll wreck the diff if I get the lash wrong or something.

Thanks,
Luke
Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I think the stock LSD (properly rebuilt) will handle your power requirements just fine and be within your budget.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Luke714
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, thanks. I think I may have originally underestimated the quality of the stock unit. What kind of prices are reasonable for a stock unit and where would you go for purchase? It seems like I saw one for $800 on DC auto, I just checked and they don't have one in right now though.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differential for a V8 944