Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what kind of problems does the Head Gasket cause?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 07:33 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post what kind of problems does the Head Gasket cause?

so ive been reading archived posts about how sometimes its not the oil cooler that causes oil in coolant mixing or coolant leaks but the head gasket? and where is it? in the back of the head? and it can leak coolant? so lets say i have a bad head gasket.. is this really really bad or fixable without any new potential problems? just wondering what it entails since i just had a cracked radiator and that was a simple fix (get a new radiator). thanks.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:40 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

The head gasket is the gasket between the whole cylinder head and the engine block. When it blows, water can get into the combustion chambers and you will be leaving huge trails of white vapor when you gun it (not to be confused with cold weather white vapor though ). Similarily, instead of water getting into your combustion chambers, oil can enter the water jacket (hint hint, oil consumption without the greasy exhaust associated with burnt oil) and you get milk shake coolant. I cant remember all the associated problems now, gotta go to work! Good luck.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:41 PM
Lemon Yellow 87 n/a
Burning Brakes

oh yeah, you have to pull the whole head off to replace the gasket.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

thanks lemon i wonder, is there a way to tell if the head gasket is bad without taking off the head?
Old 03-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Head gaskets tend to cause coolant in oil, oil coolsre the opposite although both can cause either problem. The usual diagnostic is a leakdown where the cylinders are pressurized and how long they hold pressure and where it leaks out determine the course of action. The main problem with replacing the head gasket is that you have to remove the head to do it.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Artech24
6th Gear

just as lemon yellow describes and more.
You should also have the head checked to make sure it is flat. Over time the aluminum head distorts. this is due to just age and could also be due to one time or another the car may have gotten hot.
check with a straight edge you may be able to get away with it.
I personally would and have used this as a good time to have the head completely serviced. new valve seats, guides if needed.
Make sure you replace with wide ring. it is better than OEM and if you ever think of chipping the motor it's added protection.

Quick Reply: what kind of problems does the Head Gasket cause?