Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to embark on 951 vacuum replacement...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:32 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to embark on 951 vacuum replacement...help

I have only had NA/s in the past, my dad has a 951 and its ready to be put back together, most vacuum lines have been chewed, broken, or fallen off so we are replacing them.

I have been searching around and have 2 different diagrams that i will try to follow, even though i dont know what the acronyms all mean on the color diagram (clarks garage one seems a little better, and one in engine bay i dont know wtf that tells me, lol)

ANYWAY... my main question is do i have to take the intake manifold off? it seems like i probably have to, but we dont have new intake gaskets, and im only here until monday then back to wisconsin...

any other pointers, reference pics etc. etc.?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:10 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, intake needs to come off. You'll need to replace the intake gaskets. I seem to remember the pelican forum had a post with lots of pictures when I did mine.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have some brand new intake gaskets that appear to be for a turbo. i can send them to you cheap if you want them.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apierce918
I have only had NA/s in the past, my dad has a 951 and its ready to be put back together, most vacuum lines have been chewed, broken, or fallen off so we are replacing them.

I have been searching around and have 2 different diagrams that i will try to follow, even though i dont know what the acronyms all mean on the color diagram (clarks garage one seems a little better, and one in engine bay i dont know wtf that tells me, lol)

ANYWAY... my main question is do i have to take the intake manifold off? it seems like i probably have to, but we dont have new intake gaskets, and im only here until monday then back to wisconsin...

any other pointers, reference pics etc. etc.?
IF you are replacing all the venturi lines / ISV lines / larger rubber line you will need to remove the intake... if only the small vacuum lines the intake can stay on... I have all of mine run UNDER the intake, and replaced them with the intake on the car...

Personally I believe everyone over-thinks these things... the vacuum system on these cars is painfully simple... but I can see how if you are starting with A) no vacuum lines and B) no other car for reference it could be daunting..

start running lines and post back if you hit a snag you can't figure out!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:06 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are the best diagrams I've seen:

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/VACDIA.html

And yes, no way to clean it all up without getting the intake off.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:46 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

I didn't replace any of the big lines. Just what we could with the lindsey kit. I think I got them all... any that we had disconnected and broke are accounted for. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by apierce918
I didn't replace any of the big lines. Just what we could with the lindsey kit. I think I got them all... any that we had disconnected and broke are accounted for. Thanks for the help.
So.. I take it you did it WITHOUT removing the intake?

FWIW, I have done the large line without removing the intake... but it is MUCH easier with the intake off... should anyone ever decide they want to try the large lines with the intake in place...

Get the correct euro clamps, and one of these..
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...44s+tools-944s

make the job 1000% easier... as the entire shaft is flexible..

Good job... now see if the old man will take you for a ride before you back home!
Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Posting from my phone... on way back. Didn't get chance for a test drive but it is very close. Some electrical gremlins still need to be licked, we didn't have taillights right. at the end and my dad started pulling out a mouse nest from under the dash. It still starts and runs ok (we think) but the hard parts are done.

And no. I did not remove the intake. Small hands let me get them on the two at the rear which were probably the most difficult then it was just a matter of fishing them through.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:13 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

OH, and FWIW... one of these in place makes it EASIER and SOOOOO much CLEANER!!!

PM Laust Pedersen for availability and pricing!

Quick Reply: About to embark on 951 vacuum replacement...help