Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel shake 50-60mph after machined wheel spacer install

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:49 AM
zblowfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel shake 50-60mph after machined wheel spacer install

Arg, finally got my front spacers machined and dropped them .150 thousands of an inch to clear the hub grease caps and threw them on,

the front fitment is perfectly flush with the fender, as well as the rears, I am extremely happy with how they turned out, however as always I have to hit a problem

when running front spacers, at around 50-60mph i get some steering wheel shaking, the spacers are torqued perfectly at 94lbs, i just had a tire place torque them, could this be an install problem or do i need an alignment?

all i can do is laugh at this point, these wheels have been a pain in the ***.

NOTE: I have ran these wheels without spacers and it doesnt have this problem
Old 05-27-2010, 10:33 AM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you watched them they may not be torque correctly...i had spacers put on my honda last year and they didnt torque them properly so I bought my own torque wrench removed the spacers and reinstalled them and torqued them properly and the shaking went away...id have em retorqued and watch them...also where the wheels hubcentric...sometimes you have to get the centric hub as well or they wont work right
Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the prehistoric old days of balancing wheels... you could get your tires balanced on the car. If you go out into the back roads you might find a gas station that still does this. I had a place in PHX.

I think your machine shop did do a surface cut on the spacers, but if you put a micrometer on the spacers you will find high and low spots.

Since most shops now use a balancing machine with a center shaft, you could take the wheels off the car and bolt up the spacers to all the lug holes, then take the loose wheels to a shop for a balance. Mark the spacers to the wheels for future reference.

GL
John_AZ
Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 PM
zblowfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See i think it has something to do with them being hub centric or not being installed properly -

I dropped the "arm" .150 thousands and I assume they are still hub centric

I am wondering if the wheels are hub centric on the hub for the spacer, but err, all this hub centric stuff is getting me confused
Old 05-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

That's what happens when a wheel is out of balance. Wonder if the spacers could be balanced with the wheels on a normal high speed balancing machine?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your front wheel bearings could be a little loose, and now it's presenting itself as a wobble with the new offset.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:01 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lizard944
Your front wheel bearings could be a little loose, and now it's presenting itself as a wobble with the new offset.
My car was very sensitive concerning the front bearings. If they ever got a LITTLE loose I'd end up with a shaky steering wheel. At least it was a cheap fix...uncommon with these cars.

Quick Reply: Wheel shake 50-60mph after machined wheel spacer install