Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New door stop issue: Severe damage [Pics]

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010 | 06:31 PM
UltimatE157
Instructor

Default New door stop issue: Severe damage [Pics]

I'm starting to work on my 951 project car, and the driver door has always made a ton of racket when opening and closing. First thing I checked was the door stop, and sure enough the bracket as well as the stop itself was trash. What I didn't know at first was as pictured below. It looks like the metal fatigued and simply ripped itself apart over time. Any ideas on how to fix this?

This last shot is looking from the cabin to inside the door where the door stop mounts with 2 allen head bolts.

Last edited by UltimatE157; 05-16-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2010 | 07:15 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

From: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Others may have a different way to do this. About the only way I would repair this is to fashion and weld a metal plate over the opening. Any of the old door frame sticking out from the tear will have to be hammered in to make it fit flush. Measurements have to be carefully taken in order to replace the door stop in the correct position. Mark on the door frame the two horizontal lines and two vertical lines of the part to be welded back with the two nuts. This is so you can drill out the excess plate that was welded and fit in the nut plate and weld in place. Finish up by grinding the area smooth and paint.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 05-17-2010 | 12:20 PM
ScottOgle
Instructor

From the photos, it looks like rust might be an issue as well. Did it rust from the inside out? I had the driver's side door hinges on my '92 968 cab rust...and I thought a '92 car, which is galvanized, would be beyond rust issues as there was not a spec of rust anywhere else on the car.

Scott
Old 05-17-2010 | 03:19 PM
UltimatE157
Instructor

The area around the damage, as well as the hinge itself, show no signs of rust. From the looks of it, its just the ripped and exposed edges that were rusted. The bolts for the hinge came out no problems, and besides a tiny bit of surface corrosion, show signs of being in excellent shape for their age.
Old 05-17-2010 | 03:41 PM
roman944
Drifting

on my car, the door stop (butterfly on the car's body) - ripped into 2 pieces at the bolt that connects the piece in the door with the piece on the car

I checked the part inside the door, and it wasn't secure

so I got a "new" used butterfly, and tightened everything up - and its all good

and this rip looks exactly like what happened to one of my seat mounts, its was cracked all around, but no rust/rot

seems like this would happen with parts that were not secured down properly?

you could probably bolt in a plate and drill holes for the bolts - for the part that's on the door itself

door stop really never bothered me, but in my case it was such a cheap and easy fix
Old 05-17-2010 | 04:25 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is going to be a big pain in the neck to fix and you'll probably never get it exactly like it was from the factory. Not sure where you are located (you should add that to your profile) but I have have thrown away lots of good Porsche doors. If I were you I would find a local dismantler and buy a door and have it painted to match your car....
Old 05-17-2010 | 10:07 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Josh is right. Its hard to get in there to weld and then there's not much to weld to. Even if you could make it really strong, the the structure at the other end of the limit strap isn't super strong either. I think all Porsches have this same weakness issue, certainly the 911 does. Pelican has a sandwich kit that might help though. Bruce

Quick Reply: New door stop issue: Severe damage [Pics]